Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #21

Thanks for your indepth and very helpful input. Much appreciated.
I will probably leave them up while storing. Bigger issue is front tires are wearing on outside because apparently Jayco did not realign RVs after installing the coach before 2016 or so. Result is back end is heavier and lower than front end. Now needs camber caster slugs installed. Frustrating as cannot get into gas station driveways that have the slightest dip or rear hits. Am also worried jacks are too low as the rear ones are lower than the front because they are under the gas line as they were obviously installed after the gas line was put it. Bad design! Expensive to install air bags or rear wheels or ....
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #22

If the RV in question has any vinyl floors I would store it on the wheels AND not prop ends up on jacks or blocking. To do so will result in the tires causing up and down movement with temperature which in turn will cause the cold vinyl to flex and crack. Been there done that with TTs
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #23

Yikes. Thanks for the heads up.
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #24

We have a Greyhawk and are lucky enough to be able to park in our driveway in the N. Texas area. I always level mine, using 4x4 blocks under the rear since it has less to extend that way. Never thought about using any silicon, like we do on the slides hardware so glad to get that particular tip.

Since we have so far used the rig at least once in each month since we purchased it before last Christmas, it doesn't really sit for more than 3 weeks or so. But I'd think keeping it level, whether or not you use the jacks or leveling blocks is the important thing.
Attached Thumbnails
level.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #25

I would NOT use the leveling jacks for storage, as the chrome surface on the cylinder is the sealing surface, and any surface rust can damage the seal and cause leaks. That said, I have seen piston rust on cheap jacks, but never noted on OEM shocks, so it (might be) to totally different product quality, and I am wrong. OTOH, THIS THAT HAVE HAD JACKS LEAK, WAS THERE CYLINDER RUST?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #26

I guess I can't see any benefit with taking the load off the tires. Dry-rot is the biggest concern on RV tires and some experts say driving them regularly to circulate the rubber chemicals can help slow the decay process. Also, some experts say to put something under tires to keep them off the pavement, though, I don't fully understand how that helps.

To keep my jacks up in the protected positions, I made little ramps out of 2x8 boards with thin plywood bases that I use on the low side of my lot to level the rig. I put just the plywood under the high side tires just in case it really does help with dry-rot.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #27

Not to add to your confusion because I have had feedback both ways too however we left our 29 mv up on jacks last New England winter for 6 months. We used wooden blocks of various sizes under the bases, so that the pistons did not have to employ more than an inch in the front and two in the back.. It took some trial and error and fronts and back needed different sizes of blocks to accomplish it. At least for the one winter there were no flat spot in our tires and no damage or rust to the levelors( they are Equalizers).
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #28

Leveling Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Darlington View Post
Thanks for your indepth and very helpful input. Much appreciated.
I will probably leave them up while storing. Bigger issue is front tires are wearing on outside because apparently Jayco did not realign RVs after installing the coach before 2016 or so. Result is back end is heavier and lower than front end. Now needs camber caster slugs installed. Frustrating as cannot get into gas station driveways that have the slightest dip or rear hits. Am also worried jacks are too low as the rear ones are lower than the front because they are under the gas line as they were obviously installed after the gas line was put it. Bad design! Expensive to install air bags or rear wheels or ....

There might have been some confusion about the ramps I mentioned. I drive the wheels up on them in my storage area. Attached is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
170619-066.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:46 AM   #29

Jack Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Darlington View Post
Am also worried jacks are too low as the rear ones are lower than the front because they are under the gas line as they were obviously installed after the gas line was put it. Bad design! Expensive to install air bags or rear wheels or ....
Check that they were installed according to the manufacture specs. I cannot remember the measurement but I think Bigfoot requires 7 inches of clearance. It is listed in the manual. My rears were installed with only 6 inches. I took it in under warranty and had them moved to meet the clearance requirements.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 AM   #30

We leave our stabilizer jacks in the up position in the winter. We live in the Northeast and do not want to worry about frost heaves under the pads of the stabilizers possibly distorting the frame on our 5er. We do have a carport covering the RV. so there is no snow in that area.

Tags
levelling jacks, storing, tire pressure, winterize