Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Is this my fresh tank drain

I am very new at this - and bought my Greyhawk 29KS a couple months ago. On my walk through, I didn't know to ask how I drain the fresh water tank.

There is a valve on the exterior labeled "Low Point" but in researching it, someone wrote that only drains the pipes not the tank. The manual says there might be a "white plastic valve" on the exterior (NOPE) or one near a water source in the interior. There is a water purifier unit under the sink but nothing that looks like a drain valve for a water tank.

My problem is - not only do I have no idea where one might be - but I am not mechanically or plumbing inclined...and don't really even know what to look for.

I did find these under my sink on the outer wall but I think they are simply lines to the outside shower. (I attached a picture - I hope you can see it). I am afraid to turn them...or even see if they turn.

Anyone know how to drain the fresh water tank or where to find a valve or what it looks like or if there is more than one??? for my kind of a Greyhawk??

Any help would be most appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
20160920_161550-1.jpg  
Nerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 AM   #2

You are correct these are supply lines to your shower. The fresh tank drain on the last few years of Jayco have been a small white valve. Ours looks like a small faucet with a 90 degree bend and a valve stem on top of the bend underneath the RV. Sometimes they are put in the worst spot to get to like behind the tires so you may need to get a creeper out and look all over under your rig.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Believe it or not it is supposed to be easy to get to.

Mine is under the slide and behind the rear wheel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

The drain valve is usually directly below the fresh water tank (under the trailer). If you're not sure where your tank is located, it should be near your gravity fill port. It typically looks similar to this pic.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

On my 2016 Redhawk 29XK it is located just past the Left Rear wheel opening on the outside.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

CRAZY! I'm a 67 year old woman in a campground. I want to drain it because I am doing my first little road trip to see how things go and I read that it is good to have all tanks empty.....

Guess I will try to find it....if I can't I may have to go to a dealer and have them look.

But for my trip, in the meantime, can I drain the tank with the low point drain? (logic tells me not...but thought I would ask). I guess I can unhook my water supply (from the park), turn on the faucets and water pump and let it go. Would that work?

Again much thanks. And the picture of the valve really helps.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Team

[QUOTE=Nerina;450856]CRAZY!
But for my trip, in the meantime, can I drain the tank with the low point drain? (logic tells me not...but thought I would ask). Would that work? QUOTE]

You guessed correct. The low point drains will not drain the fresh tank. Most people leave 5 to 10 gallons in the fresh tank for flushing, etc. on the road.

If you see another Greyhawk, ask the owner or call your dealer. I would not think a trip for that will be needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerina View Post
CRAZY! I'm a 67 year old woman in a campground. I want to drain it because I am doing my first little road trip to see how things go and I read that it is good to have all tanks empty.....

Guess I will try to find it....if I can't I may have to go to a dealer and have them look.

But for my trip, in the meantime, can I drain the tank with the low point drain? (logic tells me not...but thought I would ask). I guess I can unhook my water supply (from the park), turn on the faucets and water pump and let it go. Would that work?

Again much thanks. And the picture of the valve really helps.
I'm sure you can find it if you look hard enough Mine is just to the left of my door, mounted on the frame under the camper. I tow with mostly empty tanks and that's usually a good idea, so I'm with you there. Without getting into that... Worst case Scenario, do you have an outside shower? Water your lawn with it lol. Or turn on your kitchen sink until your fresh water tank is empty, then dump your grey tank (obviously assuming you have enough capacity in your grey tank to do so). There's usually more than one way to get it done... using the water would be a possible plan B for you.

I don't like to use my water pump like that, but I guess it is an option. I wouldn't want to kill my water pump by running it non-stop when the drain 'has to be' somewhat accessible. The drain on mine is so easy to get to, I use it to fill my dogs water bowl when we're camping. Wish you the best.

Anyway, I found this in your owners manual... have you gone through it?

"Open the “fresh tank drain” valve. All permanent fresh water
tanks can be drained by one of two types of drain valves. A white
plastic drain is attached to the exterior wall (open valve to drain) or a
valve located inside the motor home adjacent to the water tank"

I know it sounds kind of vague, but it sounds like the valve you are looking for could be INSIDE your motorhome. Shoot... you could just call the dealer, no?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #9

the fresh tank drain on our greyhawk is just behind the left rear tire. you should be able to see tha valve on the exterior of the coach. It is not labeled. You will open it by simply turning the valve. I normally travel with a little water in the fresh tank. I don't like to have my tank dry.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #10

The drain for my octane fresh water tank says "low point drain" on it. It also says "low point drain" on the drain for the lines.
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #11

Nerina, did you ever find out how to drain the fresh water tank? I have the same issue. Low water valve behind left rear tire only drains the lines, not the fresh water tank. I rolled under the fresh water tank and I did not see a drain valve.
ehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Yes, the valve was in one of the compartments on the passenger side....never where I thought it could be. Go figure. The valve that was labeled "low point valve" near the sewer area was actually the valve to empty the fresh water tank, NOT the low point valve.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #13

2017 Melbourne 24L Which valve is which???

Hi,

I'm weeks into the ownership of our Melbourne 24L, trying to sanitize the water system, and not getting very far. I am trying to locate the "Low Point Drain" to drain the fresh water system prior to adding the Cl solution. Inside the door (on the drivers side of the rv) labeled low point drain and below the Utility Panel are 4 unlabeled values. *see attached*. Do any of these valve drain the fresh water system, what are there functions, and what positions should them be in for different water system modes.

All 4 valve connect to lines that drain below this compartment. I assume that the valve with the red line is draining hot water lines???
Attached Thumbnails
valves.jpg  
rowemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #14

Sorry - been on the road and unable to reply until now....and I really don't have any answer for you. That looks completely different than mine. No clue - hopefully someone else knew more!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #15

I have figured it out.

The left-most valve/line drains the hot water lines.
The second from the left drains the cold water lines.

After the two left-most lines passively drained all the water in the lines, if one turns on the pump water shoots out of these lines.

The right two valves-lines both drain the fresh water tank. With the tank half full and pump off, these lines drain a lot of water and take the fresh water tank down to empty. NOT SURE WHY THERE ARE TWO LINES-VALVES.

Are all RV user manuals so inaccurate and useless?
rowemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #16

Yes, from what I have seen! And they could be so good, so easily if a bit more effort went into them. Not rocket science.
Safe travels!