Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

It fits!

We picked up our Greyhawk 29ME on Friday, December 22nd from Vogt RV in Ft. Worth. Figuring out where to store it was an interesting project involving proximity to our home as well as security and cost. After hearing from a family member who was broken into (twice!) in a secure, customer only storage facility, we decided to try another method.

Since we live in an area without an HOA and on a corner of a dead end street, it was an easy decision, once we realized we had more than 32' available in our drive. We will have to look into the cost of a 30A outlet though for now, the ability to set the RV to only 15A is a nice feature. And I learned you cannot run two space heaters, one in the basement and one in the main cabin at the same time!

Yes, I am burning more LP than expected but it is nice to be able to go out and check out the new 'ride'. The auto leveling jacks did have the awe inspiring ability to raise the rear wheels off the ground briefly so I have taken the advice of another forum member and will manually level on an incline, using my home made 4x4 notched wooden blocks under the rear.

(And no idea why two of these pix are 90 degrees turned as they look fine on my phone and PC!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3341.jpg   IMG_3343.jpg   IMG_3332.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

Good looking new ride! It is always nice to have them in the drive way. Learn how to winterize and you can stop worrying about the heat; we have been able to do in a few minutes. Also, the idea of heated plumbing by the furnace is a total myth. Minder systems make a temp Minder that has remote sensors for different areas.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Good looking new ride! It is always nice to have them in the drive way. Learn how to winterize and you can stop worrying about the heat; we have been able to do in a few minutes. Also, the idea of heated plumbing by the furnace is a total myth. Minder systems make a temp Minder that has remote sensors for different areas.
Good luck and have fun!
We will have to look into those. Already used a few gallons of anti-freeze so I think we are OK, even though it has been under 32 for a few days now. Odd for us to be in the teens here for longer than a day or two.

But it got up to 40 or so today!

Cheers
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

As far as running 2 space heaters, if you are having an electrician install a 30 amp service, have him install a separate circuit for a separate heavy duty extension cord for auxiliary heat.

On an old camper, I put in a complete separate system with a fuse box, for a second heat circuit. On the next camper I just brought a surge protected power strip in to the cabin. On the Seneca, I have installed 3 separate surge protected power strips in the under storage areas. By cutting the plug off a power strip, I mount another power strip inside the cabin and drill a small hole in the floor to run the cord down to a replacement plug and then to the power strips in the storage compartments. So this allows me to select power sources to the power strips in the cabin. Normal use is the power strip in the storage compartment is plugged in to the Seneca's electrical system through the factory installed plugs in the storage compartments. But if weather is getting cold or I've got to much on one circuit, I just unplug from the Seneca outlet and with a heavy duty extension cord plug in to the campground post on the 30 amp or 20 amp gfi outlet. Most campgrounds have the 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp gfi on separate power legs.

Currently, we are in 34 degrees in sunny Florida and have 2 space heaters running in the cabin and neither one is on the Seneca's 50 amp power supply. Keeping the bride of 45 years warm and comfortable is one of my primary jobs.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

Yes, I agree, keeping the better half warm is an important task! Good advice.

Cheers,
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Congrats on the new RV! I see your avatar is 2015 FJR1300 ES! I have a 2014 ES with 58k miles on it. If you are on fjrforum or fjriders, look up my user name and message me...it's the same as here.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Funny. I thought I spied an FJR in the background too. Sold my last bike(an RT) a year ago August. Nice rig. Hope your Vogt experience was good. Mine was good overall. I'd buy there again. Nice having a dealer so close.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Congrats on the new RV! I see your avatar is 2015 FJR1300 ES! I have a 2014 ES with 58k miles on it. If you are on fjrforum or fjriders, look up my user name and message me...it's the same as here.
Good eye for bikes! Mine is just a plain ole FJR however, not the ES variety. Switched after the last 4 bikes were all Honda ST1100s or 1300s. Sadly, they just don't update their motorcycles much anymore and the Yamaha was a very nice upgrade.

Now all we need to do is figure out how to haul it behind the Greyhawk!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
Good eye for bikes! Mine is just a plain ole FJR however, not the ES variety. Switched after the last 4 bikes were all Honda ST1100s or 1300s. Sadly, they just don't update their motorcycles much anymore and the Yamaha was a very nice upgrade.

Now all we need to do is figure out how to haul it behind the Greyhawk!
I know the FJRs since I've owned 4 of them! Honda did nothing with the ST for years until they dropped it 2012 (I think). I have a Kendon trailer for mine.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
....... Hope your Vogt experience was good. Mine was good overall. I'd buy there again. Nice having a dealer so close.
Being close to the dealer is a plus. I also used Vogt but they are a few hundred miles away. I had issues after the sale, mainly on missing equipment. Overall a good experience, but it sure would have been nice to drive up there to get answers I couldn't achieve over the phone/e-mail. You know who you are Mr. Robertson...
Anyway...the 30F temp drained my 9.8Gallon propane tank in about 5 days. Not sure "Winter" camping will be a new tradition for this household

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
We will have to look into the cost of a 30A outlet
One of the best things we ever did to our garage! I think it cost me about $150-175, if I'm remembering correctly.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote