Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I knew better than to purchase a new 24B model/floorplan but did it anyway. I wonder what is next?. I have made far more repairs to this turd than I have my other RVs combined.
I wondered too about the new 24b model, but since there already was the Melbourne 24L, which shared a lot of the same parts and floorplan, I hoped that the issues were minor.

Sorry to see you've had more major issues that I've had. Many of mine were minor stuff that I expected to fix. I wonder if your rig was built on a Friday???
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #22

How about a broken lower hinge on the Norcold fridge? The plastic hinge broke right off. Who would think plastic is a good material for a hinge??
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #23

My jayco seismic is broke every weekend it’s so annoying !! This weekend no generator power but shore power works for know.
srbjmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Loose connections will not trip a breaker. Breakers trip on over load. It requires a tight connection to have an overload. Lose connections cause heat. Breakers don't trip because of heat.
I have been doing electrical work for 44 years and only used thermal-magnetic breakers that will trip on a overheating or short circuit condition
GlennB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Not the tech's fault, they have to work with what they're given. ...

While I do agree with all the comments about the complete inattention to detail on the part of the worker-bees, I have a broken crank out window that's broken because, wait for it, when it's open the the outside door hits it before it reaches the latch position. This is definitely the designer's fault.
(I have the knob off the window so it doesn't get broken more.)
Joining the chorus, "ain't it fun."
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2
I just had a real crappy day and that photo just made me crack up really hard! Thank you Tunce!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #27

We should all pool our money together and make RV’s that are dependable !

What are some good names?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #28

Not Surprising!
We have a new 28RL Whitehawk. All of the connections at the battery disconnect in the pass through storage Are loose and can be wiggled around. Shoddy workmanship and lack of attention to detail. This should have been caught at final inspection. All of the Jayco adds elude to quality and pride of workmanship..........Jayco management pay attention to thisand read some of this stuff. The electrical guys who did the work on my rig should be fired.
Oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #29

Ok, I will play too. Schwintech slide got stuck halfway out at the campsite. Could not get it back in sync, so disconnected the motors, and finally (with the help of the Park Host) was able to push it back in, and re-connect the motors for transport. Now, here at home, diagnosing the issue, but, it seems to be working fine now. However, one side does make alot of noise, so will be taking it in for checkout.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I just had a real crappy day and that photo just made me crack up really hard! Thank you Tunce!
Gotta love that face
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #31

[QUOTE=Oneday;887146]Not Surprising!
We have a new 28RL Whitehawk. All of the connections at the battery disconnect in the pass through storage Are loose and can be wiggled around. Shoddy workmanship and lack of attention to detail. This should have been caught at final inspection.

FINAL INSPECTION, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha , I hate to tell ya but (your the final inspector).
Old 08-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #32

Final inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday View Post
Not Surprising!
We have a new 28RL Whitehawk. All of the connections at the battery disconnect in the pass through storage Are loose and can be wiggled around. Shoddy workmanship and lack of attention to detail. This should have been caught at final inspection. All of the Jayco adds elude to quality and pride of workmanship..........Jayco management pay attention to thisand read some of this stuff. The electrical guys who did the work on my rig should be fired.
Too funny, you referred to a “final inspection”...like that even happens. Bought a 2020 North Point. Paid for it up front, took 3 months to get it from the factory and when I finally received it it’s been in the shop for over a month. On first real use (just not transporting to the house), a slew of things found. The rear door won’t stay shut (good the have they rail as a secondary catch), staples coming out of the wall and floors, bathroom door has seriously warped, oven will not lite, vent is basement literally had a melt down (second time), recall on the windows because of falling out when driving down road, fridge doors won’t stay shut (learned this after driving down road for 10-hrs, Opened up the door and heard the door alarm. Opened up the fridge and the food in the fridge already was going bad. 3 inches of water in the shelves also), the slider on the outside Tv was not working properly (when sliding it Leaned 45 degrees, slide mount was so flimsy it apparently bent in the stored position), slide will not sinc and jammed 80% time when going in and out (had to put manual pressure on it to get it to work), and a few minor issues, so feel you all. They still can’t tell me when it’s going to be finished.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #33

Pitchforks & torches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday View Post
Not Surprising!
We have a new 28RL Whitehawk. All of the connections at the battery disconnect in the pass through storage Are loose and can be wiggled around. Shoddy workmanship and lack of attention to detail. This should have been caught at final inspection. All of the Jayco adds elude to quality and pride of workmanship..........Jayco management pay attention to this and read some of this stuff. The electrical guys who did the work on my rig should be fired.
<rant>We all seem to be aware of this industry-wide situation, and I suspect Jayco (Thor) management is well aware too. But, folks keep on buying new rigs who don't know how bad the situation is, and even those who do attempt to perform due diligence must surely be hard pressed to find all the defects. We walked away from one deal at the point of delivery after finding numerous conspicuous defects, presuming that for each one we could easily see there were probably ten more we would only "discover" later. That dealer, who was left holding the bag, confided (afterward) that they are continually stuck in the middle of this mess.
Bottom line as I see it: If Jayco can keep getting away delivering rigs that fall short of what most of us would call workmanlike, then they will do so. Few of the defects affect safety, so who will write an RV version of Unsafe at Any Speed? If someone has an idea how such change can be provoked, I'd sure like to hear about it! <\rant>
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkipper View Post
That dealer, who was left holding the bag, confided (afterward) that they are continually stuck in the middle of this mess.
They can't be "too upset" about it since they aren't forced into being a dealer and they can stop ordering at any time. There are many more brands that they could be selling.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
FINAL INSPECTION, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha , I hate to tell ya but (your the final inspector).
So true -

Now that we have learned the hard way that the system does not work as the RV-company advocates say..

The RV dealers do as little as possible to inspect for defects before they sell the RV to the customer. Some of these RV dealers even charge extra for a PDI (pre delivery inspection) that usually does not catch all of the manufacturing defects that come out of the plant - they leave that for the customer to identify so they can have the customer return to do that work on Warranty at a fee to Jayco (and inconvenience to the customer)

The critical thing I want to point out - is how any form of PDI is not going to be checking for critical safety issues like proper electrical assembly. They will just turn on the light - and if it works - done. If the wires on the light are left bare and subject to falling out of the connector - that wont be found until later - possibly when a fire is the result.

In the case of the OP, where wire connections failed - I fail to see that being caught in a PDI. I went and checked ours last week, and found a number of issues where the workmanship was poor and I had to take corrective measures for safety. I suggest that others who have the technical abilities to do the same - look at theirs too. My family is too important to me not to.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #36

Amen to all above about Jayco and some of the quality - but they all, to some degree, have problems.

.... and especially now, food luck getting warranty work appointment anytime soon...at least with dealers around the NCR...
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

In the case of the OP, where wire connections failed - I fail to see that being caught in a PDI.

I completely agree!
I don't fault Jayco for that one - because I cannot be sure that they didn't vibrate loose.

It's badly burned and hard to tell what happened. The screw lugs are all down. The others were quite secure.

The other thing to notice is that PD has changed their connectors on the newer ATSs. No more barrier strip, the new ATSs have the Wago connectors.

This could'a been Jayco, it could'a been Progressive D, it could'a been me hitting one too many bumps.

I got a few things I'm mad at Jayco about, but this one isn't on the list (yet).
Old 08-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
It's badly burned and hard to tell what happened. The screw lugs are all down. The others were quite secure.
Around 2012 IOTA had a recall on their switches for a very similar problem and I think they actually quit making them for RV's. JAYCO, MONACO and KEYSTONE were among the companies involved. JAYCO replaced them with Progressive Dynamics.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #39

Quote:
I went and checked ours last week, and found a number of issues where the workmanship was poor and I had to take corrective measures for safety. I suggest that others who have the technical abilities to do the same - look at theirs too. My family is too important to me not to.
Since this thread seems to be leaning towards "vibration, movement of a vehicle and in general things moving around". One of the safety issues that I discovered is how the manufacturing process ignores a fundamental set of requirements that require fixtures and certain equipment to be securely fastened to prevent the wiring from being pulled away... and at the same time specific conductors must be securely attached within a specified distance from the device, appliance or junction box.

Our Transfer switch was flopping around, it was not secured to anything and the conductors leading into and out of the Transfer switch were not secured to anything - except the terminal the conductor was attached (poorly as it was stripped back only half-way and the insulation was captured in the terminal.

There were others... but this was starting to show signs of heat buildup. I had to remove the cable and re-terminate the entire thing and re-connect it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
Amen to all above about Jayco and some of the quality - but they all, to some degree, have problems.

.... and especially now, food luck getting warranty work appointment anytime soon...at least with dealers around the NCR...
The issue I found with the transfer switch wiring... I don't know if I would be trusting the typical CW tech to fix what I found. This is what apprentice electricians are taught and tested on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
This could'a been Jayco, it could'a been Progressive D, it could'a been me hitting one too many bumps.
Securing the transfer switch (install manual) and properly attaching the conductors in/out of that so that vibration is not a factor should be a Jayco thing. PD states that the Transfer switch must be properly mounted... I can't say about yours... but ours was laying on the floor, on top of a bunch of other wiring (12v wiring) and was not secured at all... Only the wires running into it were keeping it from jumping out and running out the door. I also might add, it was laying on the floor in a way that they say NOT to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Around 2012 IOTA had a recall on their switches for a very similar problem and I think they actually quit making them for RV's. JAYCO, MONACO and KEYSTONE were among the companies involved. JAYCO replaced them with Progressive Dynamics.
Yea... they had no choice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V597-7007.PDF
How many did Jayco keep installing after the recall? do you remember?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #40

Quote:

Yea... they had no choice https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V597-7007.PDF
How many did Jayco keep installing after the recall? do you remember?
The actual recall didn't hit until 2012. My SIL had an 09 GREYHAWK with the same failure(Iota) and they were't recalled. They were all replaced with PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS.

Here's an article from FMCA, JAYCO wasn't even mentioned.

Posted March 2, 2012
I have read on numerous RV forums about IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch. According to reports on the forums this transfer switch has been found to overheat and in some cases has resulted in fires. Accordingly, Monaco and Keystone manufactured have initiated a voluntary recall as listed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site. This is under campaign numbers 12V060000 and 11V577000. I have also been told but have not been able to verify that the current IOTA Engineering company was reorganized from TODD Engineering company which made a faulty transfer switch. This company went bankrupt as a result. In contacting IOTA they disavowal any knowledge of having a faulty transfer switch.