Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

Jayco 25r Redhawk 2018 constant battery chassis drain

Hi

I bought this vehicle in April 2018 and have used it just once as the chassis battery is always draining. Takes 5-7 days. Plugged in. Use the auxiliary starter to start it. Been to Ford and battery is fine. Now to Albany RV who have been diabolical in returning my calls and my pleas for help. Finally today went in yes that’s August 14th 2018. Could be steps. I have to leave steps in - done that before but not sure if I shut off power. Also I have a feeling it could be. the 2000 Jenson infotainment system as it keeps crashing but they hsvent checked it for some reason. I’m at my wits end. When it’s plugged in at home there’s a bright red power light for house battery . Should that be turned off or will the house batteries then die. Any help or advice wold be appreciated so I can pass it on to Albany RV. I don’t like driving it as I feel it’s unreliable. Thanks
Sheilauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #2

I am certainly no expert in this area, but can offer what little I can. First, unless something has changed from my 2016, the Chassis battery does NOT charge while plugged in. Only the house (Coach) battery(ies) get maintained while on shore power.

That said, I put mine on a charger or run the engine monthly and that keeps it up. 5 to 7 days, that is definately not right.

A good auto electrician could diagnose this at least to the point of confirming the draw (amp load test with multi-meter) or you could do it yourself. Unfortunately, the mechanics at the RV dealer may not be expert in electrics (I know mine weren't). If you or a friend is willing, pull the positive lead on the battery, set your multi-meter to amps, and make sure the leads for the meter are correctly set. Record your reading, but I would guess the draw should be very small, maintaining some LED's and computer memories and such.

The only other thing you could do to eliminate your suspicions is to pull fuses for the suspect items and see if that changes the draw down. It is detective work for sure.

Bottom line though....it is under warranty and if this dealer is not getting it done, call Jayco and find another dealer with a good reputation to fix it.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #3

The chassis battery on ours had to be changed before delivery. There is a indicator on the top of the motorcraft battery that should be green when viewed. Ours was red but funny thing was the battery would start the motorhome fine. I made them change it anyway because of the indicator being red. They pulled the battery and Ford warranty took care of it and all was good.

Here's the deal on these chassis batteries...the chassis could be several months old before Jayco builds the motorhome so the battery is draining everyday. Then the coach gets built and delivered to the dealer where it sets and drains everyday until sold.

Sure they will crank it up every now and then but the battery is dying a slow death by being discharged too far too often.

I would bet a hot cup of coffee you need a new chassis battery like we did.

Being plugged in to shore power does not charge the chassis battery. I use a small trickle charger that plugs into the always hot dash 12volt outlet to keep the chassis battery up while it is in storage.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Somethings up - our chassis battery stays charged for weeks when the unit is stored during the winter. I head out once a month to fire up the generator and the chassis battery is able to start the engine.

Could be a bad battery too, I suppose.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

This is the indicator I mentioned previously. Look on the top left corner you will see a round clear indicator showing green in this picture. If this indicator is red you probably need a new battery.

I would at least pull it and take it to Ford and let them put a load test on it to be sure. They will warranty the battery if it test bad. I think MotorCraft batteries have a free 12 months replacement and then prorated after that.
Attached Thumbnails
671EE8F5-4355-4E27-A707-7BEF17B54542.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote