Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

jayco class c

do they come with a spare tire and mount?? don't see many with them on the road??
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #2

Most do not now as the manufacturers fear lawsuits. RV's are obviously much larger than passenger vehicles and attempting to change a tire on an RV can be a dangerous task if not done properly.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #3

on a class c tire not any bigger than me gmc tires. thanks for your reply and comments.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

While lawsuits are probably part of the issue I am sure the main reason is costs. It is a race to bottom with the pricing on these units. Those with the lowest price frequently wins.

The tire sizes might be the same or even potentially smaller than some pickup trucks the units tend to weigh more and jacking stability is more critical.

Another part to the puzzle is available cargo weight capacity. On many of these units you only have 800-1500 lbs ( some have a lot more) this weight gets taken up with passengers, water, food plates linens ect. The manufacturer wants to show a larger carrying capacity. If they include a spare they can lose 100 lbs which is significant if you only start with 1000.

Many people on this site feel that a spare is critical especially if camping in remote spots. There are many threads explaining where they installed the spare.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #5

My 2015 29MV did not come with a spare. I purchased one later from Schwab and attached it to the hitch. When I'm towing, it goes in the toad. It weighs 100#, so like mentioned previously, it takes away from CCC (cargo carrying capacity).
Old 09-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Weight is another issue and reason they are not included. It takes important CCC which Class C’s have limited amounts of. Many longer Class C’s have rear axles that are maxed out. Hanging another 100-150 lbs off the rear bumper is not a good idea.

Some will buy a tire only and carry that and let roadside assistance change it. Problem is this still adds weight and will take up valuable storage space. You can always get a tire and wheel and throw it in the back of your tow vehicle. This takes the weight off the motor home.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

I think it has more to do with weight and keeping costs down. Our 2009 Greyhawk came with a full size spare as did all Greyhawks back then. Greyhawk Sports had them mounted between the frame rails while the regular Greyhawks had them mounted on the bumper. Our Greyhawk also came with a tire iron/lug wrench, but it did not come with a jack. The salesman told us that Jayco did not want owners to change their own tires, so they did not include a jack.

We moved our spare tire under the bed. We did have a blowout once. At the time, we had AAA Plus with RV. AAA would cover mounting our spare, if we didn't have a spare, we would have had to pay out of pocket. I wouldn't ever drive a vehicle without a spare whether it is a car, truck or Motorhome. I wouldn't want to have to have my Motorhome towed just to have a tire changed. If we bought a Greyhawk today, the dealer would have to include a full size spare or we wouldn't buy it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I think it has more to do with weight and keeping costs down. Our 2009 Greyhawk came with a full size spare as did all Greyhawks back then. Greyhawk Sports had them mounted between the frame rails while the regular Greyhawks had them mounted on the bumper. Our Greyhawk also came with a tire iron/lug wrench, but it did not come with a jack. The salesman told us that Jayco did not want owners to change their own tires, so they did not include a jack.

We moved our spare tire under the bed. We did have a blowout once. At the time, we had AAA Plus with RV. AAA would cover mounting our spare, if we didn't have a spare, we would have had to pay out of pocket. I wouldn't ever drive a vehicle without a spare whether it is a car, truck or Motorhome. I wouldn't want to have to have my Motorhome towed just to have a tire changed. If we bought a Greyhawk today, the dealer would have to include a full size spare or we wouldn't buy it.

-Michael
X2 I won't leave home w/out a spare, floor jack, wood blocks, 4-way lug wrench, couple of cans of fix a flat and my trusted Viair pump and digital tire gauge..........not that I'm paranoid..........former Boy Scout!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Class A motorhomes don't come with a spare either. The lug nuts are torqued to 450-500 and weight alone calls for backup!

What I have learned to do is get a good roadside assistance company. Start the generator and wait for help.

If I decide to tackle it myself I can use the hydraulic levelers and raise the tire so I can remove it then throw it in the back of my Jeep tow vehicle and head to nearest town for a replacement or repair. All I carry is a good lug wrench.

In all the years I have been owning motorhomes I have never had a flat. Alternator went out on one years ago and a fuel pump on another but never any flats. If you take care of your tires, check them for correct pressure before each day or use a TPMS like we do and exercise your motorhome once a month to keep the belts from breaking down by sitting in one place and check the date code and change tires every 4-5 years you will probably never need a spare. Also, if you hit curbs, potholes and road debris often you will shorten the tires life.

Think about it...most people who have blow outs never check the pressure, run old tires or install different brands and sizes on the vehicle.

So what if you do everything correctly and still have a flat? Save your back and call someone. Best money ever spent! That spare you bought will probably rot sitting in one of your bays taking up room and weight you could be using for important stuff like fishing gear and such. And you won't need a trip to the ER after you pull a groin trying to lift it!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

My crappy Sunseeker DID come with a spare. Go figure.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #11

appreciate your comments. I was undecided regarding a spare....looks like no spare..