Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Jayco class c bikes back

anyone have a bike rack on back of their class c. any issues.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

I have one on the front and back that use the trailer hitch, is that what your referring to? If so, they work fine. If you are hauling electric bikes, look for a heavy duty rack, like the ones from Hollywood Racks.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

Thanks, our first mh since having tt for 20+ yrs. We have a thule bike rack, the bike tires sit in cradles.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #4

I have used a bike rack on my 31DS a couple of times, but was reading an article sometime back that the longer motorhomes can put greater stress on bike racks causing them to fail, so now they advocate "RV safe" bike racks.

In my personal opinion, any quality bike rack (Thule certainly would be) that is properly mounted and secured likely will not be an issue. I would probably use an "anti-rattle" device which takes up slack at the hitch in order to avoid any violent movement back and forth. If extremely paranoid, might add a couple of straps to the bumper to rack to help with side to side motion, but in general, I don't see it being a big deal.

Do some searches just for safety sake, but you should be good. I have a toad now so if I want my bikes, they go on the hitch in my Jeep.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #5

Thanks like the bumper straps idea
Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

We own a 4 bike hitch mount bike rack made by Bell. Instead of using a normal hitch pin, it uses a threaded pin with lock washer and cotter pin. The threaded pin takes all the slack out of the rack and it does not move. We've used it on multiple vehicles including our Greyhawk. Never had an issue.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Thanks. Must stick out quite a bit off the back bumper with 4 bikes.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #8

We bought this rack for 5 bikes. It doesn't stick too far off the back. It doesn't move around much, we know because we watched it on the camera the whole time we were driving.

It has a deal that lets you lock it into the receiver which keeps it from bouncing around. And then when you are done with it, you can fold the rack down so that you aren't hitting it every time you walk around the RV. It's done pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...64&sr=8-3&th=1
Old 05-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #9

Thanks we have thule 990xt for 2 bikes works perfect for us and now will be used on our class c...rock solid
Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

We have a Yakima FourTimer that we use. It holds 4 bikes. We load the biggest bike closest to the RV and move to the smaller ones the further out we go. Haven't had any issues with it.

Good luck....
Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #11

I use a Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack. Usually have it on the toad. Sometimes put it on the RV. Easy to get bikes on and off.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I use a Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack. Usually have it on the toad. Sometimes put it on the RV. Easy to get bikes on and off.
We have the same. Have used it for about 10 years. Bought a dual receiver hitch and had it modified with a 8 inch vertical extension separating the two hitch receivers. For the last 2 years, we have carried the bikes on the back of the Seneca about the toad hitch. We had a custom cover made that keeps the bikes out of the Sun. They are always on the rack when we travel. Well secured and protected. I like the bike racks that carry the bikes on their own wheels instead of hanging. A few scratches to deal with, but over 50K down the road and they clean up and work well.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Thanks. Must stick out quite a bit off the back bumper with 4 bikes.
Not really. It is hitch mounted. The rack's bars that hold the bikes are about 20 inches long. The hitch haul we used to use to transport the bikes stuck out further than the bike rack does.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #14

Not trying to sound like an idiot (although I might be one) but, what would the length of the MH have to do with putting stress on the rack and causing it to fail?
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
Not trying to sound like an idiot (although I might be one) but, what would the length of the MH have to do with putting stress on the rack and causing it to fail?
I am not aware of any idiots in Texas, but maybe However in this case, that is exactly the issue raised as to the "certified for RV's" thing that is popping up. The length of the MH behind the axle in theory amplifies the impact of motion (both side to side and up and down) on the hitch mounting of the bike rack. That is why I earlier suggested an anti-rattle device (to tighten up the hitch) and rachet straps (to take up some of the force).

In other words....you are a genious
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #16

That makes sense... I just kept thinking about why it would work on a short one but not a long one...lol. Thank you for that!
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #17

Bike rack on back of class c

We use a Thule bike rack, it plugs into the receiver and two bikes ( extendable to four bikes) travel behind our motorhome if we’re towing the jeep, we put the connector into the receiver hitch on the back of the jeep. We like it because the bikes actually sit into a runner and then a bar comes down and locks each bike in. You don’t have to worry about the tires falling off while driving like you do with the hanging bike racks. It’s not cheap, on sale we paid 279.99. But well worth it. Only problem is when the bikes are on the rack, our large storage door in the back doesn’t open, so we have to use the side doors to retrieve wanted articles. When the bikes are off, the bike rack leans down and out of the way. Glad we spent the extra.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #18

I had a bike ladder rack on my first class C which clamped onto the ladder with vice type jaws and teeth, (not like camco or some of the other ones that just lay on the rungs). It was a two bike ,bike rack, you hung the bikes vertically. The arms had pins that allowed you to swing/fold them flat or in out of the way so you could still climb the ladder.

I got it off Amazon. But I wouldn’t put more than two bikes on any RV ladder. It was a little cumbersome to lift and hang the bikes up that way, I don’t think I could do it now in the shape My back is in. But very doable if you have a strong back and enough muscle to lift the bikes up. I thought the bikes stayed very well on it and they were out of the way of my hitch and tow dolly.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #19

We have an Allen 4 bike hanging type (model S545). No problems...even on 2000+ mile trips. Our stereo allows us to activate the rear camera on demand, so we can check them anytime.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #20

Use an RV approved bike rack like a Swagman. The whip affect that occurs with a travel trailer especially is intense and can cause the rack to snap off. I've had it happen. The RV approved are built heavier and are more durable.

https://www.swagman.net/products/rv-racks/
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote