Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2022, 06:14 AM   #1

Jayco Class C quality

Good morning all,
I have owned towable RV's for the past 25 years. Currently in a 42' 5ver.
We want to downsize and are looking at the Greyhawk/Redhawk Class C.

I was curious how pleased you are with the rigs and the manufacturer support. ( I am Fulltime and if I would need parts/mobil tech )
Also, has anyone installed a on demand water heater in these?
I appologise if this is posted in the wrong spot.
Thanks,
Scott
scotte303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #2

I have an Entegra Odyssey, another brand made by Jayco.

Overall happy with the RV itself. Happy with both Jayco warranty and the 2 dealer service I have dealt with.

Mobile warranty work can be a problem, with the dealer. While winter camping, I had to take mine in for minor warranty repairs as they would not come and perform on site (warranty).

Something to note with Class C (motorhomes) is the chassis side, Mine is Ford. It can be difficult to find a Ford dealer that will work on these. Just a heads up. If you generally camp in the same areas, I would call around to local Ford dealers and ask if they work on Class C. Its generally only the dealers that work on big trucks and have a bay big enough for the RV.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte303 View Post
Good morning all,
I have owned towable RV's for the past 25 years. Currently in a 42' 5ver.
We want to downsize and are looking at the Greyhawk/Redhawk Class C.

I was curious how pleased you are with the rigs and the manufacturer support. ( I am Fulltime and if I would need parts/mobil tech )
Also, has anyone installed a on demand water heater in these?
I appologise if this is posted in the wrong spot.
Thanks,
Scott
I think with a search in the search feature above in the gold bar you will find a number of threads about on-demand water heaters. The general vote was that they are not that good in RVs.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
... I would call around to local Ford dealers and ask if they work on Class C. Its generally only the dealers that work on big trucks and have a bay big enough for the RV.
Excellent advice, and to further the thought, the length of the chassis can make a difference. Some garages are limited by bay length.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

I have Greyhawk 29mv . Bought it about 8 months ago. Overall very happy with it. A lot of the little things that are wrong with new ones can be fixed by the owner. The new Ford 7.3 engine has plenty of power also.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #6

Right now? Run far far away from anything motorized. If you fall in the minority of people really close to a commercial Ford dealer that is actually capable of doing good work and you live within 10 miles of a Jayco dealer then go ahead.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #7

My 2020 seemed like it was thrown together. I’ve spent a significant amount fixing everything that was wrong. Some cosmetic, some poor craftsmanship, and some potentially dangerous. The nearest Jayco dealer for me was 1.5 hours one way plus they had several month wait time. I am very capable of fixing things, or modifying things to actually be better. In fact it’s pretty much my job. Jayco was never any help when I would contact them directly. They always told me to call the dealer or they ignored my email. Now I am outside of the warranty and can’t get some things fixed that I’ve wanted Jayco to fix. I think they do this on purpose hoping to get out of it. I think Jaycos warranty is a joke. I won’t buy another Jayco but I feel most RV companies are about the same. Just make sure you have a good dealer that is close or that you are capable of fixing things yourself. Now that I’ve gone thru most of my Redhawk and it is pretty good now. I still want to replace some of the crappy Chinese parts RV companies use on these vehicles.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:11 AM   #8

In being a member of this site for a few years, I've seen lots of threads from disgruntled owners pertaining to repairs. I understand the issues anyone can have who are not good with doing their own repairs based on their talent level.
I went to a used Jayco class C last year; a 2005 Jayco greyhawk. It did have some "interesting" previous owner repairs, which I easily corrected myself to Jayco OEM intended design.
I did have two Ford chassis related failures. One was the A/C quit working on the way home from a camping weekend in Georgia, as well as a engine mis-fire. The mis-fire ended up setting a OBD-II code; I own a OBD-II reader/reset tool which with an easy Google search after reading the code indicated a bad COP (coil over plug). I bought online a new Ford coil for $75.00, and installed myself, and that fixed the engine miss-fire. The A/C was a bad relay, found by doing another Google search on that subject.

My point is that if you are decent with tools, you can fix a lot of the issues that can come up. The camper itself is nothing more than a mobile house; plumbing and electrical issues once in awhile. The chassis and engine however could be issues that a novice could have issues with. As others have mentioned, search your home area, and camp sites you plan to visit to determine if there are places that can service your rig.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

2018 so before the pandemic builds. Little things needed attention. Build quality so-so. If your a DIYer that helps. If your going to rely on the service departments, then you may have a lot of wait time.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

2018 build. quality ok, but it is a house on wheels. If you get the 450, make sure you add in suspension changes, makes a world of a difference. Just look up sway in the search bar.

IMO, seems like build quality is lower, part quality is lower, cost is higher since pandemic. If you are handy you can fix 95% on your own at your own cost. The vehicle chassis are fine minus recalls. New ford 450 chassis came out 2 years ago I believe and had issues, but all those should be fixed by now.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

Even if you buy a $ 999,999 Prevost Motorhome you will have problems…If you think you can own any type RV and not need to be a handyman you are kidding yourself. An RV is a box going down the road trying to shake itself apart into a bunch of pieces…..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Even if you buy a $ 999,999 Prevost Motorhome you will have problems…If you think you can own any type RV and not need to be a handyman you are kidding yourself. An RV is a box going down the road trying to shake itself apart into a bunch of pieces…..
This. And be sure, for any manufacturer and dealer, that you get the details on how their repair shop works if it's something major. The dealer where I bought my 2022 Greyhawk had the policy of you had to drop it off and only then it would be in the "queue" to get worked on. My rig sat in an open parking lot for 5 weeks and the service that was finally given was subpar. I wound up re-fixing most of the items myself.

I would say being handy is a huge plus when it comes to any RV (travel trailer or motorized style).
Old 07-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #13

2020 Greyhawk Prestige 31FP

We have 11,000 miles on the Greyhawk and unit has been great. One warranty item handled right at dealer. It is important to have a good dealer. As for getting the engine worked on, we have a repair shop right down the road that can do motor repairs if any arise. The dealer also has a Ford dealership they deal with if you need motor repairs. Unit quality is excellent, better than our last class A.
Smitty814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #14

We bought a 2016 Greyhawk 29mv from my father-in-law two years ago, rescuing it from a bad deal on a trade-in as he moved to a smaller rig. It only had 8,000 miles on it and had already had a little bit of warranty work done on it, but not much. Overall, I've been quite pleased that it hasn't had much in the way of problems and nothing that I haven't been able to easily fix over the 12,000 miles we drove it last year. I do get the impression that some of the older vehicles exhibit better build quality. There are lots of stories here about brand new rigs with a huge punch list of needed warranty fixes and lots of frustration about getting it done in a timely manner.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #15

Class C quality

Hello, I bought a 2020 Greyhawk 31F last summer, I bought it second hand with 5000 miles on it. The previous owner did many upgrades and had originally bought it with all option boxes checked off. I love the way it looks inside and out. The most of the issues I have had were workmanship issues. some I assume to be due to the pandemic. hot and cold lines were mixed up on the kitchen sink, door hinge bolts loosened up and door was rattling, some cosmetic blemishes that were missed in quality control, steering was a little wonky and needed an alignment, one of the center bearings (drive shaft) was making noise at slow speed, among other minor issues. I think that all of these issues are par for the course with any type of camper or RV. they are all slapped together as quickly as possible and leave the dealer to pick up the slack on any defects. It seems that the issues I have stated perhaps were just how the RV industry is in general. One thing to note, if it does not drive correctly when you test drive it, steering, brakes, general handling, gross rattles, driveline vibrations. Make sure that the dealer corrects these before you take delivery of it. Give the thing a good look over inside & spend the time to do so. As everyone knows RV's are typically a losing investment, so be sure that you don't have to pay to correct items that the factory should have.
One other worthy note. Jayco buys the cab/chassis from Ford, then they Cut & extend the frame on them to fit the RV's length. My guess is that all of the RV manufacturers do this, but I think it is worthy of mention. I have thoroughly inspected mine and it seems to have been done acceptably.
Good luck!
Yackobeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #16

2016 Greyhawk 31FS

We’ve had our Greyhawk since 2016, just turned 37,000 miles and probably 200 nights under the stars.

Only 1 warranty issue with the chassis, had the high pressure switch go on the chassis AC after about a year.

The Jayco end has been a few issues; some manufacturer, some component, and some dumb owner. But over the years it’s been nothing I couldn’t fix myself after coming to this forum, watching YouTube, and getting to know my rig.

Overall, it’s been a great house on wheels. But I will say that every time I take it out now that’s it’s 5 years old… there’s always something to work on and keep me busy. 🙂
mcjurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #17

I have a 2017 greyhawk I purchased new. It has the on demand water heater and after some getting used to it is fine. I’ve owned a 5th wheel in the past and wanted something easier to setup with less work due to being a woman and travel mostly with my grandkids. I couldn’t be more pleased, haven’t had any issues to really complain about and most myself or husband can fix without going to the shop.
Guid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:24 AM   #18

We looked hard at the Greyhawk when we bought in 2017 but opted for the same floor plan in the Class A Alante. Loved the driver/passenger location and the giant windshield. Have had very few problems and have added a bunch of upgrades. This is our fifth season and unfortunately our last. As happens with many retirees medical issues will have us selling our MH this fall. If you might be interested drop me a note to: hubertiii@yahoo.com
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #19

The only two big $$ items that died prematurely on our 2016 was the AC unit and the generator. The AC worked for three years and then stopped blowing cold. The generator threw a rod and blew itself up.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #20

Class C Grayhawk

I have a 2020 Greyhawk 27U In which I have had a lot of problems with it. Had to have a front end lined up the first 500 miles because it won’t stay on the road and a bigger sway bar in front and keep it from rocking so bad .Had a bad vibration do to a misaligned driveshaft. Had to have some rear suspension work done on it because it was bottoming out. ( set of airbags) took care of that. Class C is very noisy while driving. I’m going back to a 5th wheel, picking it up on Monday. Do your homework and check other peoples comments and good luck
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote