Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #1

Jayco Conversion/Campervan or 'weekender'

Hi Folks,

I have a Jayco Conversion/Campervan (class B), which is fairly rare (1990s -2002) and have found very few listings and information on the internet. My belief is that Jayco did not really do the building of these but marketed them. It does have some parts that were used by Jayco but it was probably built by one of the many conversion van builders around the Jayco factory in Indiana.

My unit (2000 Chevrolet express van with high fiberglass roof -5' 9'' ish standing room in some parts) has a rooftop AC unit, sink (electric pump and had a 3 gallon water tank in with a rather cheap electrical breaker box and some junky 30 amp 120 to 12V converter), 130 volt electric heat plate/stove, small Norcold 12/120 Fridge, and a Thetford cassette toilet, Jack-knife bed, outside light, 120 volt inlet, fresh water Inlet (eeek -see tank location), Jayco embroidered on captains chairs and somewhat current seafoam gray/green interior (with light oak cabinets, of course), a secondary battery and a RIVA sticker. Basically the rest of it is very similar to the nicer conversion vans of the era. Originally this sold for 42k and I bought it for about 10% of that (has some rust issues and 129k on OD). I have used it for one season and have loved it and currently fixing rust and other mechanical issues and modifying it (solar, water, cooling), so I can do more off-grid camping and 'boon docking'.

I have searched this group and cannot find information for this particular conversion van/camper. Are there any members of the forum that have this or have information on this unit? I met one owner and he gave me a battery box.
Brad_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_C View Post
Hi Folks,
I have a Jayco Conversion/Campervan (class B), which is fairly rare (1990s -2002) and have found very few listings and information on the internet. My belief is that Jayco did not really do the building of these but marketed them. It does have some parts that were used by Jayco but it was probably built by one of the many conversion van builders around the Jayco factory in Indiana.
All you need to do is contact the factory and ask. You could even contact the RV HALL of FAME and MOTOHOME Museum in Elkhart as they have much of that info too.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks for Info!

Thanks for Info!
Old 02-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Even if yours is the only one there is still a lot of good information relevant to yours here. Got any pictures? Would love to see the outside and inside if you don't mind.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Off topic, but I see you are from Binghamton. My in-laws live there and we visit the area quite often.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from up the road apiece, in Western New York!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

Did not take any pictures (working in it) .
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #8

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2001 Ford Jayco conversion van so just want to follow along for any information on them!
Cltt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #9

Arrow Modification -

sorry about pictures - I phone 7 issue

Solar - Custom Solar Rack made from 80/20 Extrusion - 30 Amp Solar controller/ inverter - New wiring etc...

Customized Hitch assembly - spare tire area converted to have 15 gallon water tank and have three hitch assembly. Now have outside shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco Van - 7_25_20_side view.jpg   Jayco Van - 7_25_20_side view- outside shower.jpg   Jayco Van - 7_25_20_rear_solar.jpg   Jayco Van - 7_25_20_rear view.jpg  
Old 07-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Very Nice!!

Old 09-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

I recently purchased a 1999 Jayco based on the Ford E-250 van. I'm pleased with my purchase; however, I, too have found very little information on it. I would like to relate a problem this has caused:

Attempting to insure it, I was flatly turned down by 7 different insurance agencies, including Good Sam, Progressive, and National General, who claim they specialize in RV insurance. The reason? -- "Jayco did not make a class B in 1999." My VIN is clean and clear but decodes as a partial vehicle/cargo van - insurers send me to their commercial division which won't touch it since it is not a commercial vehicle.

I contacted Jayco through their website with no response. I was able to get through by phone, and the representative was nice enough, but told me there is no record Jayco converted this van. It has Jayco logos all over it, including a door sticker and owner's manual.

I am currently working with a local insurance agent I trust. They had to do some workarounds, but I have an email saying it is insured, and am only waiting (30 days so far) for the policy documents. I have insured many, many cars and one 1984 class C motorhome. It normally takes a few minutes to have a policy.

Needless to say, price shopping has been out of the question.

Long story, but yes, the Jayco van conversions seem to be unicorns. Other than that, it is everything I had hoped for, and I looked for two years before finding it.
Old&Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&Slow View Post
I recently purchased a 1999 Jayco based on the Ford E-250 van. I'm pleased with my purchase; however, I, too have found very little information on it.

Long story, but yes, the Jayco van conversions seem to be unicorns. Other than that, it is everything I had hoped for, and I looked for two years before finding it.
Conversion vans were never titled as a MH, we had a STARCRAFT and it was titled and insured as a regular van by my Insurance company. The statement that JAYCO didn't do the conversion is also probably correct since they were done by a 3rd party that had a license with JAYCO. You may want to check with the people at STARCRAFT bus which is owned by FOREST RIVER. Another place to check would be the library at the RV Museum and MH Hall of Fame in Elkhart. They have a lot of info/history on file. I think they even have a JAYCO van in the Museum or at least they did.

In 1992 when STARCRAFT filed for bankruptcy JAYCO bought the RV rights, but the Van Conversion was sold off separately and I'm not sure if Forest River bought it then or later.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

Thanks, Grumpy. My regular insurance company would not title it as a van since the VIN decodes as a partial chassis. I tried a couple of other insurance companies, not telling them it was a conversion, hoping to title it as a van, but got the same result. It's been quite an experience.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #14

Hey, welcome to the forums Brad and O&S from SW Michigan.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&Slow View Post
Thanks, Grumpy. My regular insurance company would not title it as a van since the VIN decodes as a partial chassis. I tried a couple of other insurance companies, not telling them it was a conversion, hoping to title it as a van, but got the same result. It's been quite an experience.
Just for curiosity I looked at NADA and definitely nothing listed for a "B" under JAYCO. Wonder if it was a prototype that never went into production at one of the bus/van companies?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #16

Don't think it was a prototype. I have seen listings for 1999, and I know another fellow who has a 1999 very similar to mine a few hours away.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #17

Just spotted a 1999 Chevy 2500 Jayco Weekender van w/green leather trim. Trying to research it now. Retiring soon and looking for a dependable van to explorer vanlife and see if I like it. Seems the price of class b's is more than I paid for my 2nd home. Thanks for the info. Can't get pic to attach from iPad.
Moremoney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moremoney2 View Post
Just spotted a 1999 Chevy 2500 Jayco Weekender van w/green leather trim. Trying to research it now. Retiring soon and looking for a dependable van to explorer vanlife and see if I like it. Seems the price of class b's is more than I paid for my 2nd home. Thanks for the info. Can't get pic to attach from iPad.
Welcome to JOF and good luck in your search. Don't get discouraged with the price of class b's. Many people are doing their own home conversions to standard cargo or passenger vans in order to enter the lifestyle. That may be an option if you can't find a used class B.

Tags
conversion campervan