Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Jayco Greyhawk 2016 vibration issue

We are also looking to buy a Greyhawk, the 31DS to be exact. However we have been reading in this forum about a vibraton issue on this unit. What or where is the vibration and is it on all the Greyhawks? This is the first we have heard on this and now are wondering if anyone has more specific information. Thanks for any help you may have!!!

Bill and Carol and Bear, we are the 3fivers!
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

The issue is a pronounced vibration coming from the drivetrain, evident at certain cruising speeds. The issue has been reported by numerous owners who have 2016 Ford E-450 model year chassis, but the issue is not isolated to Jayco products. It has been reported to be an issue for several manufacturers who build Class C units on these chassis.

Something many Class C motorhome owners are not aware of is that in order to build some of the larger Class C units the chassis has to be "stretched" to provide the needed long wheelbase. The bare chassis are sent to a third-party manufacturer who actually cuts the frame in two, affixes frame spacer sections, extends the wiring, exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. They also have to install a new driveline to connect the transmission and rear axle, which are now further apart than they were originally. Some Class C units now have 3 separate sections to the driveshaft. Even the slightest misalignment or problems with driveline balance and phasing can introduce vibration issues. Sometime certain harmonics develop at certain driveline speeds that have to be "dampened". If a change is made to any of the driveline components it can introduce new variables that may cause a vibration even though the other factors remained constant.

While Ford doesn't actually do the work to "stretch" the chassis, they are intimately involved in the process, supplying many of the pieces (and frequently the engineering) needed to make this possible. They require the bodybuilders to adhere to certain standards and guidelines in order for them to be QVM (Qualified Vehicle Modifier)-certified. Since the motorhome manufacturers all are supposed to adhere to the QVM standards regarding "finishing" the incomplete vehicle, that is why Ford then provides the chassis warranty that they do. And why they now have worked hard to come up with solutions to this issue. If you bought a new chassis yourself and cut and extended it, they wouldn't even give you the time of day if you claimed a problem!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. Lot more than I expected. Bill
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #4

Initially all the 2016 Class c's with the 350/450 ford chassis (ALL manufacturers not just Jayco) had a vibration issue at about 60 MPH. Ford made a 6 speed transmission for 2016 and it was apparently slightly longer than previous ones. RV manufacturers were unaware of this change. Ford and the RV manufacturers worked on a fix and class c's were able to be shipped to dealers again. I bought my 2016 Greyhawk in early July and it came with the vibration. I was told by the dealer and Jayco that driving with the vibration would cause no harm. I think that any Greyhawks sold now already have been made with no vibration. My Greyhawk is at Jayco right now getting the vibration and a few other items fixed. The reason it is in Indiana is a collision with a car at the end of August cause extensive damage to the passenger side of the MH. Jayco would have repaired that but suggested a local (near Jayco) auto body shop for repairs. The MH was driveable so a transporter drove it to Indiana for repairs. The body work is finished - the whole side -wall fiberglass skin was replaced. When the warranty work is completed next week the Greyhawk will go back to the body shop. I am flying to Indiana to pick it up in two weeks. I am also getting a tour of Jayco while I'm there. Jayco has been great to deal with. Bottom line: don't worry about the vibration as your coach will not have it. The 2016 Greyhawk drives very well and the J-ride improvements are excellent!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

We got our 2016 unit in October, and it didn't have the vibration. The dealer said that the issue had been resolved.

Take the factory tour if you get the chance. We were at the factory service center for some warranty repairs on our previous Jayco, and took both tours. The folks at the factory are great to work with, and unlike at a dealership, the factory doesn't have to get any authorizations, and they have all of the necessary parts and tools right there.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Glad I found this. 2016 Greyhawk, bought from CW in October, I have this vibration thing! Yuck.
Jay Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #7

The fix has been out for some time now. A good dealer would have handled it prior to the sale.

I've said it a thousand times. I hate Camping World !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fivers View Post
We are also looking to buy a Greyhawk, the 31DS to be exact. However we have been reading in this forum about a vibraton issue on this unit. What or where is the vibration and is it on all the Greyhawks? This is the first we have heard on this and now are wondering if anyone has more specific information. Thanks for any help you may have!!!

Bill and Carol and Bear, we are the 3fivers!
Check here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-238.pdf

Best Regards,

Nick
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter210 View Post
Thanks for the PDF post ..... This will come in handy......

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #10

We just took delivery of our Greyhawk 31FS.

Goody!! We too have the vibration. Our unit was built in late 2015 and marketed as a 2016. Any ideas how to fix this? It is incredibly annoying.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #11

You're probably going to have to take it back to the dealer, who is going to have to send it off to a Ford TRUCK shop.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #12

2016 Greyhawk 31DS has a 5 speed with overdrive. We just picked ours up in January and the vibration/harmonic issue was not an issue. They will remedy the problem if you have it. I would talk to the dealer AND to Jayco about it
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

I noticed the PDF link above. I printed it and will go talk to Camping World and Jayco.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

The vibration in my 2016 GH 29MV was fixed in February by Jayco. I drove it home 750 miles and it worked perfectly.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroga View Post
2016 Greyhawk 31DS has a 5 speed with overdrive. We just picked ours up in January and the vibration/harmonic issue was not an issue. They will remedy the problem if you have it. I would talk to the dealer AND to Jayco about it
This isn't a Jayco model year issue. Its a Ford chassis model year issue. 16's and up have the 6 speed transmission, which changed the geometry of the driveline, which causes the hum.