Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Jayco Greyhawk vs Sunseeker/forester

I have been looking at the Greyhawk 29 and 31 models and started talking to folks about weights and tow weights.. From what I guess is the Jayco has the standard 5,000lb hitch correct? In looking at the FR Sunseeker and Forester they have models based on the Ford chassis but have a 7500lb tow capacity.

My wife wants a MH that we can tow our horse tralier and horses and were right at 5500 to 6,000 lbs Dealers have said you can add a larger hitch to the Jayco but others advise against it... and in most cases shops that install hitches look up the Mfg specs and will not go about that.... The FR has air bags on the rear I am wondering if that brings the capacity up?

I have not driven either yet.. so if any of you that have bought the Greyhawk if you looked at the 2014 or 2015 FR product what else did you find different in the manufacturers?

Hope this isn't an out of line question, we can't go to a Super C it is way out of our budget unfortunately...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and i'm not posting this to start a brand war, just good solid information...

davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

One thing i know is that the forest river has a fiberglass roof which is a huge plus. I would narrow it down to what layout works better for you. And also check the occc of the model. Gray hawks can have low occc left over but i have seen a few forest rivers that were even less.

Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

I guess I didn't think about the rubber vs fiberglass roof..good point... Also, is the Greyhawk a wood frame or a aluminum frame? I have searched the Jayco website and brochures they don't put much info on the internet.. I'd like to know the R factors, if thermal windows are available and or the Polar pack that they offered on some trailers. We would like to use our until a little longer in the year ..were in Tennessee it doesn't get killer cold but it does get on the "More than Chilly" side.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

As far as i know nobody builds motorhomes with wood framing. My greyhawk has tank heaters only which dosent help much with the exposed plumbing. I read in a forest river brochure that their sewer outlet pipe is enclosed and heated which might be a plus.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

One other thing i rember about the forest rivers was they were having a problem with their frames twisting when using the big foot levelers. Definatly research on their forum board as well.

Also i think they have the old 6 gal water heater as opposed to greyhawks ondemand water heater
Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Greyhawk01, thanks for the info and suggestions.. I'll check in to your items for sure.. I did sign up to the FR forums to ask questions. I find by asking folks like yourself that have units and probably have searched others before buying that I get great feedback and things to look for. About the only thing that is a stickler for us is the 7500lb tow weight and that is because of our horses... but I may have talked my wife in to driving our truck with the Horse trailer while I drive the MH.. that gives us the best of 2 worlds with the truck at the campground we now have a Toad... and although we burn more gas it's cheaper than getting a rental for a week. The good thing is we probably would not travel more than 100 miles if we were to go "Horse Camping" ... so, were giving that some serious thought. I just want to find the right floor plan and a reliable coach... so, my due diligence is more than paying off for me.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

What decided us was two things... One was seeing the hail damage to two units in the campground that we were in, that had fiberglass roofs. The hail just bounced off the rubber roofs. Our only damage was to one of the MaxxAir roof vent covers.

The other issue was the warranty. We started thinking that if a company doesn't have enough confidence in their products to offer a two year warranty, that's a major red flag.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #8

The Logans, thanks for that TIP... what kind of damage was done to the roof? That must have been some huge hale to cause that kind of damage..

I don't know of any other manufacturer that provides a 2 year warranty... it is nice that Jayco has that.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #9

Hail damage

The National Weather Service said that it could be up to dime size hail, but what we saw on the ground was from BB size up to some marble size mixed in. It also broke a few windshields. The two fiberglass roofs that I got up on the ladders and looked at had dents with cracks radiating out from them, and one had a spot where the fiberglass was shattered in an area about 3 inches across.

Having said that, a fiberglass roof is better able to resist a lateral impact (like from a tree branches), while a rubber roof stands up to vertical impact better. There are always plusses and minuses to everything.

I'm told that the rubber roofs weigh less, and I guess that it's better to have less of a weight load up high, for better stability.

Comes down to what you're comfortable with, and as I said before, the two year warranty was the tie breaker for us.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
There are always plusses and minuses to everything.
Rubber has a 12 yr warranty, the fiberglass warranty is no longer than the warranty that comes with the coach.