Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Jayco Melbourne (Mercedes chassis) Suspension

I've see a LOT of posts on here about suspension upgrades on other manufacturer's chassis but can't find anything or anyone who's done suspension upgrades to the Mercedes chassis.

My 24K gets a HUGE amount of body roll crossing uneven surfaces (in and out of parking lots) and substantial wallow when passed by big rigs.

I'm planning to graduate from part-time weekender to long time traveler in the spring when I retire and now is the time to spend the money on upgrades...if they're viable.

Anyone Melbourne / Mercedes chassis owners out there who've done suspension mods? Thanks for your time.

Happy Camping!
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

DNBGoulb I replaced OEM sway bar and put on a rear hellwig also installed sumo springs to replace OEM It made the Mercedes Chassis drive very "car like" from outer banks NC thru col rockys to Mt and back. good luck happy retirement .
bradpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #3

to clarify rear hellwig swaybar
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

I cant find my posts that mention my upgrades but I went with the Hellwig rear sway as well and Sumo Springs all four corners and Fox tuned shocks for the rear. No more white knuckles when trucks pass.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssf-106-47/

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...00-rv-class-c/
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

All my upgrades were done DIY and the only time I needed a jack was for the front Sumo's and that was just to lift the suspension a little to get the Sumos in. Most bang for the bucks was sway bar and Sumo's. Maybe if I added the fox shocks first it would have made more of an impact but I still would add them again. I notice they help more with the rocking when going over bumps at an angle than cross wind and truck passing stability but again I upgraded the shocks last.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpark View Post
DNBGoulb I replaced OEM sway bar and put on a rear hellwig also installed sumo springs to replace OEM It made the Mercedes Chassis drive very "car like" from outer banks NC thru col rockys to Mt and back. good luck happy retirement .
Brad: if I understand, you did rear sway bar and sumo springs but nothing to the front...is that correct?

And thanks!
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I cant find my posts that mention my upgrades but I went with the Hellwig rear sway as well and Sumo Springs all four corners and Fox tuned shocks for the rear. No more white knuckles when trucks pass.

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssf-106-47/

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...00-rv-class-c/
PF: I was hoping you'd jump in the conversation. I thought I'd seen something from you a while ago about suspension but I spent hours scouring the forum(s) and couldn't find it...glad to know it just wasn't me.

I've read where others did something with a steering stabilizer in the front (sorry, I'm a carpenter so I may have my technical repair info screwed up! )
Assuming (yes, I know), I have that correct, did you do the stabilizer as well?

I've read where others used a different brand of shock versus Fox (the name escapes me right now.) Any input?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

I don't have the steering stabilizer and not sure if that is the issue with the Sprinter Chassis. I know the Ford chassis have those available.
Another popular shock on the Sprinter forum is Koni or Koni Reds.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I don't have the steering stabilizer and not sure if that is the issue with the Sprinter Chassis. I know the Ford chassis have those available.
Another popular shock on the Sprinter forum is Koni or Koni Reds.

Again, thanks for the quick reply. Honestly don’t know if I have a steering stabilizer or not...I just read about them.

The other shocks Ive read about are Blistien shocks
Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Yes installed rear sumo only which is good ---but would think front and rear like pfflyer installed would be better. More is better !!! I probably will do same before next trip west . Maybe car like drive will turn onto sports car like !!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Is installing the Hellwig sway bar on the Melbourne a do-it-yourselfer?
Is it just a matter of sliding under the RV, with a large socket wrench, and removing the stocker and replacing it with the Hellwig?
Or is it a task the repair shop should do?
Thank you...
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Is it just a matter of sliding under the RV, with a large socket wrench, and removing the stocker and replacing it with the Hellwig?
Thank you...
DIY like your description "just a matter of sliding under the RV, with a large socket wrench, and removing the stocker and replacing it with the Hellwig".
It took maybe 45 minutes to an hour when I did mine but if I was to do it again maybe 30 minutes at the most. 6 bolts if I am remembering correctly. I don't remember the size of the bolt heads but all should be less than 20mm.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #13

Has anybody installed a 3” dual wheel,spacer? My dealer recommends this as it moves the outer dual 3” further from the inside dual adding some stability
If so do you have a part number or vendor etc?
He is also recommending the Sumo upgrades and an upgraded sway bar PLUS a “rear auxiliary “ bar (I haven’t found any info on this)
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Steveleo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
Has anybody installed a 3” dual wheel,spacer? My dealer recommends this as it moves the outer dual 3” further from the inside dual adding some stability
If so do you have a part number or vendor etc?
He is also recommending the Sumo upgrades and an upgraded sway bar PLUS a “rear auxiliary “ bar (I haven’t found any info on this)
Appreciate any help
Thanks
I have no experience with the spacers but there are varying opinions on the Sprinter forum. I think the concern raised was stress on the axle and bearings if I remember correctly. I don’t think anyone there has tried the spacers but they just raised the question like you.

I find the parts I installed listed in post 4 gives a pretty good ride and stability.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #15

I put the rear Koni shocks on yesterday. 20 minutes start to finish with a 13/16ths wrench, ratchet and socket
Will install a new sway bar next week. 18mm wrench and about 30 minutes should do that
Hellwig (#7777) has a replaceable sway bar for the 2019 Sprinter (r and r)
Roadmaster (1209-120)appears to need different hangers Installed
Still not sure which I am going with
On a side note the “dual wheel spacers” I referenced move BOTH duals out 3”
I will probably do that as well later on along with an “auxiliary sway bar” in front of the differential (Roadmaster) (#1209-131)
Steveleo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Thank you...

I’m mechanically declined and I did it in about 30mins. 6 bolts, 18mm (I think). I impressed myself because I do not wrench on my own stuff for fear of doing something I can’t get out of. Did the Sumo springs while under there as well...10-15 mins.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
I’m mechanically declined and I did it in about 30mins. 6 bolts, 18mm (I think). I impressed myself because I do not wrench on my own stuff for fear of doing something I can’t get out of. Did the Sumo springs while under there as well...10-15 mins.
My dealer wanted to up charge me 100% on the parts (Koni shocks and Roadmaster sway bar) and 2 hours of labor @$170 hr for each install (shocks and sway bar)
Both of these are so easy to install
Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #18

Looking at my chassis the rubber bumpers already look like black Sumo pads front and rear. Is that OEM? The sway bar looks large however looking at the part number on the bar it must be OEM. Is there a measurement I can take to compare to Hellwig? In an effort to improve ride and handling I’m changing shocks to Koni front and rear. I would like to improve the ride to a little softer, seems like a lot of pounding on the Interstates in Iowa and Nebraska
ViperOne is offline   Reply With Quote