Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2024, 02:55 PM   #1

Jayco Melbourne Sprinter oil change

I really have no where to have the oil changed on my Melbourne. We plan on doing it ourselves, I know it SAE 5W-40 but am having a problem finding the exact brand. What do you use for oil and oil filter?
CathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:32 PM   #2

If your Melbourne is a Mercedes diesel then you need to get the oil for a diesel. There are several posts on this in the forum. I don't have the spec right here but I can get it tomorrow. Also the oil filter is special and should come with the filter and o-rings. In addition the oil filter wrench is special. I would have to look up the size, it fits very tight on the cap.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:46 PM   #3
CAG

With all engines check the manual and stick to what that calls for.

Generally Diesel is 15W40 but some may call for something different. Google is you friend when it comes to accurate info since most all manuals are available on-line.

BTW, Oil is oil. Brand makes no difference as long as it meets SAE.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #4

your diesel does not take "just any old diesel oil". I think it needs oil that matches Mercedes MB229.52 specs. Very little oil offered in USA matches this MB standard. My Sprinter was a 2018. I used to buy Mobile 1 ESP 5w30. Napa would run deals on the price once per year. Right now its running like $13.69 per quart. None of the oil change stores will have this, but I bet they will say "sure, what we have will work".
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #5

https://www.blauparts.com/sprinter-3...SABEgJTW_D_BwE
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:05 PM   #6

Thanks yes it is a Sprinter Chassis Diesel. Sorry I did not mention it sooner.
Appreciate any help. I don't want to screw this up obviously. The 2021 Sprinters do not come with a dip stick which is problematic but I found I could buy a Mercedes brand stick from 2020, remove the "Plug" and the dipstick fits.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:07 PM   #7

Thank you!! that's exactly what I'm looking for!! Love this Forum!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:11 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
your diesel does not take "just any old diesel oil". I think it needs oil that matches Mercedes MB229.52 specs. Very little oil offered in USA matches this MB standard. My Sprinter was a 2018. I used to buy Mobile 1 ESP 5w30. Napa would run deals on the price once per year. Right now its running like $13.69 per quart. None of the oil change stores will have this, but I bet they will say "sure, what we have will work".

I have used US oil in BMW, Lexus, and Audi. All that meet SAE also meet European and Japanese oils requirements. Mercedes is not something "special" although some Mercedes drivers seem to think so LOL

I run/ran Amsoil in all of my vehicles. They are all safe for all of the above and in-fact Amsoil took Harley-Davidson to court (Morris/Magnuson) and won when HD tried to tell their owners that they could use nothing but HD brand oil or void their warranty. They lost that one.

Run the correct weight and in the case of weight many will tell you, including Amsoil that it is safe to run another brand if you cannot find Amsoil as long as it is the same weight and synthetic if that is what you are running. OIL IS OIL and if Mercedes is telling you they will void a warranty because of another brand of oil they are wrong and can be taken to court to prove it.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:22 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

For your reading pleasure: A few other oils that Mercedes says are "approved". About 5 pages worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf USA Approved Engine Oils MB.pdf (54.4 KB, 23 views)

Old 05-21-2024, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have used US oil in BMW, Lexus, and Audi. All that meet SAE also meet European and Japanese oils requirements. Mercedes is not something "special" although some Mercedes drivers seem to think so LOL

I run/ran Amsoil in all of my vehicles. They are all safe for all of the above and in-fact Amsoil took Harley-Davidson to court (Morris/Magnuson) and won when HD tried to tell their owners that they could use nothing but HD brand oil or void their warranty. They lost that one.

Run the correct weight and in the case of weight many will tell you, including Amsoil that it is safe to run another brand if you cannot find Amsoil as long as it is the same weight and synthetic if that is what you are running. OIL IS OIL and if Mercedes is telling you they will void a warranty because of another brand of oil they are wrong and can be taken to court to prove it.
What you state may be true BUT I don't have extra money laying around to sue MB when they void my warranty for using non approved oil. Oil is NOT oil in their eyes. And Mercedes IS something special, very special. Much better than the crap the Ford and GM turn out.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:13 AM   #11

Changing oil in the Sprinter is fairly easy. Like others said make sure the oil meets the MB Specs in your manual. The oil filter wrench for a 2016 ai in the following link. I am not sure if it the same for your model. You may be able to find one cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used Blauparts the last couple oil changes and am satisfied with the quality and convenience.

One tip is to make sure you have a larger enough container to hold the capacity of the Sprinter.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
For your reading pleasure: A few other oils that Mercedes says are "approved". About 5 pages worth.

I sold our 2018 sprinter in 2021 (during Covid, to a dealer, for a profit).

I was running MB229.52. I can't remember but I think the difference between MB229.51 and 229.52 was extended drain intervals. When you read about how to reset your oil change indicator you will see there is 2 different timers, and 229.52 allowed the extended timer. (at least my 2018 was that way)

I was buying the Mobile 1 ESP 5w30 from Napa when they had it on sale once per year. it was $7.50 qt. Its a whole lot more than that now.

I did see some of the oils on this list are available in places like Walmart for around $25 a gallon but those I looked at were rated 229.5 and 229.51.

Enjoy your Sprinter.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:22 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
What you state may be true BUT I don't have extra money laying around to sue MB when they void my warranty for using non approved oil. Oil is NOT oil in their eyes. And Mercedes IS something special, very special. Much better than the crap the Ford and GM turn out.
It is called Magnuson-Moss AKA lemon law and there are lawyers just waiting for your phone call and to take your case on contingency. No money out of your pocket. Ask me how I know. It worked with BMW and with an RV maker.

I am sure Mercedes makes a nice vehicle. We drove several when looking to replace the Lexus but they did not live up to the repair history and customer satisfaction (they were struggling for awhile) of the Audi. Or Lexus for that matter.

I do agree that not all oil is the same. Amsoil has been producing oil that meets and in many cases exceeds most all others and they do produce oil for European vehicles that exceeds those standards. Mercedes oil is not something special, it is a way to increase Mercedes profit. If you have to buy a special oil because that manufacturer tells you nothing else will work, what is in their engine build that is so special? It still pistons and camshafts.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:07 AM   #14

What is so special is not the pistons or the camshafts, it is with the pollution control systems that MB uses and are in place to meet the stricter European requirements. According to MB, if you use an oil that doesn't meet their specifications, then your Particulate Filter and the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) will\may fail prematurely.

In any case, If I had a MB I would only use oil that meets the specifications and approved by MB as I suspect the repair costs may not be covered if they determine the cause of the failure was due to using an oil that didn't meet the manufacture's specifications.

Here is a list of what I found for the approved MB motor oils. ~CA

https://www.forum-mercedes.com/img/m.../MB_229_52.pdf
Old 05-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #15
CAG

I
Quote:
n any case, If I had a MB I would only use oil that meets the specifications and approved by MB as I suspect the repair costs may not be covered if they determine the cause of the failure was due to using an oil that didn't meet the manufacture's specifications.
Read Magnuson-Moss including court cases. MB would have to prove that before they can deny warranty work. Exactly what Amsoil sued HD over and HD lost.

read this: Especially the section that says vehicle manufacturer recommended oils may not be what is best for the vehicle.

https://lnengineering.com/oil.html Point here is MB wants to sell you their oil even if it is not what is best. Likely what makes them the most money.

See my earlier post with the list of approved oils as presented by MB. Post #9,

Old 05-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
I
Read Magnuson-Moss including court cases. MB would have to prove that before they can deny warranty work. Exactly what Amsoil sued HD over and HD lost.

I believe your link is out of date as it doesn't list the 229.52 specs which have been in place since ~2012 and required since 2017. The link I shared in post #14 is the 2020 list but I would still suggest for the OP to reference the owner's manual. Also, it is good to know that the 229.52 specs state that the oil covers previous 229.5 specs.

Regarding Magnuson-Moss, you can't just use any oil and expect to be covered for warranty work for damage caused by using an oil that doesn't meet specifications. Looking at the Amsoil site, I can't find any reference that their oil meets the MB229.52 specs which is specified for the Mercedes Benz latest engines. I did see in my search certain websites where Amsoil has stated for certain oils "recommended for" MB which isn't the same as MB saying "approved for" their engines.

From the following link:
"According to the FTC you must still use proper oil specifications. Neglecting oil changes, neglecting maintenance or using oil that does not comply with factory-recommended specifications are completely separate issues from the Magnuson-Moss regulations".

I would also add, even if (when) a vehicle is out of warranty, I wouldn't ever suggest to use any oils that doesn't at least meet the specifications from the manufacture, I prefer oils that testing and certifications prove the oil exceeds the manufactures recommendations.

My information above is from various websites including MB, again, I highly suggest to only used the "approved" oils from either MB themselves or what is listed in the owner's manual. Using an oil not approved by the manufacture may be OK and may never cause an issue, but what if it does?

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/
Old 05-22-2024, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
IRead Magnuson-Moss including court cases. MB would have to prove that before they can deny warranty work. Exactly what Amsoil sued HD over and HD lost.

read this: Especially the section that says vehicle manufacturer recommended oils may not be what is best for the vehicle.

https://lnengineering.com/oil.html Point here is MB wants to sell you their oil even if it is not what is best. Likely what makes them the most money.

Your link is not specific to MB or the MB229.52 specs or why MB requires a very specific oil specification (in fact it doesn't even mention MB engines, or MB oil specs) but it is good information overall. One point it does make which is one I completely agree with is:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When in doubt, always refer to the manufacturer specifications and recommendations for lubricants and viscosities to be used.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:48 PM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Your link is not specific to MB or the MB229.52 specs or why MB requires a very specific oil specification (in fact it doesn't even mention MB engines, or MB oil specs) but it is good information overall. One point it does make which is one I completely agree with is:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When in doubt, always refer to the manufacturer specifications and recommendations for lubricants and viscosities to be used.
Dead horse. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:58 AM   #19
Icy

When we had our 2019 Melbourne 24L, I got my oil and filter from Mercedes Benz dealer. Oil filter adapter from Amazon. Be careful to not add too much oil. I added 12 litres, ran engine until up to operating temperature, turn off engine and after 5 minutes and check oil levels. Add oil as needed. If you add too much oil, you’ll have a too full light coming on.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #20

Mercedes Melbourne oil change

I change out my own and it's easy change, don't even have to drive up on blocks, I use Mobil 1 ESP Low ash oil 5w-30w and it takes 13 qts so get a extra large oil catcher, and the drain plug is 13mm and the oil wrench is a size 84
Metal1Pat is offline   Reply With Quote