Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #21

Yea, glad I purchased an extended warranty for our 17 Greyhawk as we’ve it back to the shop for over a dozen issues including faulty wiring in the walls, fridge (3x), AC unit, tankless water heater failure, fresh water tank (leaking, also fell from mounts down onto frame), improper grounding wires, etc...

Ha, inaugural trip, my 6 year old son got locked inside the bathroom, faulty door lock...

Lemon...? Ford chassis is solid though, thanks goodness!

Unfortunately, we’re stuck with it for a while (upside down). Never again.
Baltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #22
Kat

Thumbs down Problems with Jayco 2018 28.5 RSTS 5th wheel

We purchased our unit brand new. It took two weeks before we could pick it up from the service dept. BlueDog RV (said they were booked)
We then took it out for a trip and had over 10 things wrong. Major one being front brakes locked up and ruined both front tires other recall for hitch. The other issues were quality items of a poorly built trailer.(gaps in cabinets, water leaking under sink, propane storage too small for tank causing dents inside outer door, floating floor has several ripples shower molding fell off) 10 days later trailer was back. ( hitch, floor and propane storage not done. waiting for Jayco)
We took the trailer out again for 10 days first the water line dis-connected from the drain and we lost all the water in tank. Then it rained for two days. We had water leaking from the ceiling in 4 spots had to put towels and a blanket to soak water up. The unit cost over $46,000 with all the fees and extended warranty. Jayco doesn't return calls Blue Dog says they will call us then doesn't. It's a Lemon. We had a Jayco for 17 years before this and the quality was excellent .So that is what we expected with the Fifth Wheel.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #23

I understand frustration with quality. I must be one of the lucky ones...ours has had no major issues and very few me fixes. All it needs is a fill up every 400 miles!
Attached Thumbnails
DF6EB7C4-C9D5-49A7-B33F-8FB158CEAC97.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethosb View Post
We bought a new 2018 272BH toy hauler in March. Have only been able to use it 3 times. I has been at the dealer for a total of about 12 weeks as of now and is still there. Had a plethora of manufacture defects: 2 leaking faucets, shower panel coming off the walls, broken air conditioner, non working fridge, missing components, exterior defective fridge panel, broken ground for the fuel pump nd more. The dealer said all manufacturers stuck at quality. They are only interested in getting as many units out the door as possible and doing with issues under warranty. If Georgia had a Lemon Law for RV's I would be all over it. Would then buy something other than a Jayco.
My guess is you purchased it from CW in Woodstock.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #25

Me thinks its pretty savvy of Jayco to have the dealerships finish/fix the factory's work. Great way to expand production without having to build new facilities (distributed manufacturing). Must be paying the dealerships a good rate too as they're all not heading for the exits. Genius.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #26

We agree with you folks. We bought a new 2018 315RLTS in May. We have not used it yet (September) because of all of the problems. The dealer has had it for several months. We brought it home for a couple of weeks because they said they had to wait for parts. The list of things wrong exceeded fourteen and increased when we spent a night in the fiver in the backyard. Lastly, who would think that having a standard rv fridge would preclude having slide toppers, but that is nother story.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #27

Few minor issues with a 2016 jay flight 38FDDS.. ordered 11/15, built 1/16, delivered 4/16...pre Thor unit.

Awning material defect -replaced
Bad kitchen USB port - replaced
Outside shower plumbed backwards. -fixed
Furrion system wouldn’t play any discs- replaced

All the above was fixed/replaced on site at my seasonal site by my dealer in one visit under warranty. BTW..130 miles from the dealership. No charge.

Subsequent warranty issues that I repaired with parts supplied by dealer included, window shade replacement (string break), propane regulator replacement (leak), patio door curtain replacement (broken clip)

Non warranty repair by me included thermal cut off on water heater. I’ve also tweaked items here and there.

That’s it so far.. not too bad and we love our rig!! warranty is over so it’s all on me now.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I would have agreed a while back when considering a Class C. I have heard that they do build the Coaches better than TT's
When 1st considering TT's way back when I really became disappointed with quality issues which seems to be numerous. Checking other brands I have found the owners of Arctic Fox and ORV's seem to be the most pleased with their purchases. Owners of them regularly visit their factories and are impressed with the facility and the way they are built. A bunch of loyal buyers who stay with those brands when they make a change.
We have been considering a Class C when my wife retires and Jayco seems like a "possible" choice BUT after seeing the quality issues I get afraid of using a large portion of our life's savings to put into a can of worms.
Really almost getting scared off of RV's altogether.................that is heartbreaking.
Retired LEO - At the risk of beating this thing to death, I just want to encourage you not to give up on the RV idea altogether. Yes, there were several things wrong with my Greyhawk right out of the gate. But the trick is doing business with a dealer that has adequate service bays to fix it without taking your unit away from you for weeks on end. I was pretty rough on my dealer when I bought it, because I wouldn't take no for an answer. I expect a lot. Now that the major items have been resolved, I like my Greyhawk 29ME.

The manufacturers are pumping out RV's as fast as they can, because there are a lot of newbies out there that will buy them. And there are far worse manufacturers than Jayco out there. It's a shame what's going on in the industry.

I recommend the Motorhome Comparison Guide. They publish one every year, and they have one for trailers, too. Jayco has slipped a bit in recent years in their ratings, but according to this guide, they are solidly in the middle of the pact. If you look at the names of the brands that fall below them, those brands deserve to be there. Google that guide. You'll find it.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #29

Build Quality

After owning our Melbourne for 10 months we were able to get away for the maiden voyage, as I sat at the dinette and looked down to pickup a dropped fork , I realized I could see he ground where the wall meets the floor in the slide.
It was about an inch gap about two feet long , I called the dealer and he was able to squeeze us in in only 6 weeks .
Service manager said it happens all the time , Jayco misses screws and brackets or just plain assembles things wrong . Ours was missing an angle brace 6ft long and about 20 screws .
It is only a matter of time before Jayco is at the bottom of the buyers guides .

Eddy
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #30

RetiredLEO: We agree with Eddy. It's very sad to see reviews of extreme problems; but for the few small issues that we've encountered, we wouldn't trade the lifestyle we've chosen since retirement for anything else. We have friends who sit around most of the time and do nothing, then take one very expensive cruise or European vacation that lasts 11 days and costs $5,000 a piece. To each his own, but that's not the life for us. We've been on the road 3 months so far this year, off and on. Right now we're in our favorite place, Santa Fe, relaxing and enjoying this beautiful area. Last year we were out for over 4 months and traveled all over the country. After almost 2 1/2 years of owning our present RV, all the bugs of our motorhome have been worked out, everything is running smoothly, and we can just enjoy. We never had problems so great that warranty wouldn't fix them, or that we couldn't fix ourselves. We just rounded 30,000 miles with no regrets.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
RetiredLEO: We agree with Eddy. It's very sad to see reviews of extreme problems; but for the few small issues that we've encountered, we wouldn't trade the lifestyle we've chosen since retirement for anything else. We have friends who sit around most of the time and do nothing, then take one very expensive cruise or European vacation that lasts 11 days and costs $5,000 a piece. To each his own, but that's not the life for us. We've been on the road 3 months so far this year, off and on. Right now we're in our favorite place, Santa Fe, relaxing and enjoying this beautiful area. Last year we were out for over 4 months and traveled all over the country. After almost 2 1/2 years of owning our present RV, all the bugs of our motorhome have been worked out, everything is running smoothly, and we can just enjoy. We never had problems so great that warranty wouldn't fix them, or that we couldn't fix ourselves. We just rounded 30,000 miles with no regrets.
We totally agree koko...wouldn't trade the lifestyle for anything else! It's sad to read about other peoples problems and frustrations but that's all forums like this get most of the time.

People that are happy with their purchase and have enjoyed using it don't always post on forums like this. I want to think the happy campers outnumber those that are not.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We totally agree koko...wouldn't trade the lifestyle for anything else! It's sad to read about other peoples problems and frustrations but that's all forums like this get most of the time.

People that are happy with their purchase and have enjoyed using it don't always post on forums like this. I want to think the happy campers outnumber those that are not.
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Very appreciated

My wife made me feel much better today also when she stated that a Class C will be in our future
She had been kind of uncommitted one way or another but today she said she is looking forward to retirement (probably next year now ) I am enthused and encouraged all over again!
Next job will be picking which one. Possibles include Jayco, Entegra, Winnebago, Coachmen. Looking forward to the hunt for the right one!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #33

Good news. There are so many out there to choose from that it's just amazing. We're camped next to an Entegra Odyssey 26D right now. It has two slides, is 29 feet long, the owners really like it. We'd never seen one before. It's nice looking. We thought all the Entegras were giant Class As. It has a dinette as well as a couch, which makes it a bit more spacious than ours. We like their stove. It's a three burner with controls in the front rather than on top (so many things to consider when buying one of these $$$ on wheels). We still wouldn't trade. Have fun looking.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

What cabinetmaker said ^^^^.

@ RetiredLEO
Not sure how to phrase this.... IMO, in your LEO career you probably were in frequent (daily?) contact with segments of the population that don't represent the overall population. Sites like this are magnets for folks that want to vent about their disappointment in their RV, but don't represent the overall population of RVers.

Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Very appreciated

My wife made me feel much better today also when she stated that a Class C will be in our future
She had been kind of uncommitted one way or another but today she said she is looking forward to retirement (probably next year now ) I am enthused and encouraged all over again!
Next job will be picking which one. Possibles include Jayco, Entegra, Winnebago, Coachmen. Looking forward to the hunt for the right one!
Happy class C hunting.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #35

Quality

I am a firm believer that no matter what you buy you take a chance on getting a problem child. We have been researching new TT's for about 2 years. We have been through to many units to count and I personally think that Jayco is built better than most and the fit and finish is better than most. now are they perfect absolutely not. They have slipped and I believe like alot of you that the demand is greater than the supply now, and it is a shame that these companies are pushing them out at a record pace and are slipping on the quality side. We recently purchased a 2019 Jay Flight 33 RBTS, is it perfect no it is not but most of the issues we have are cosmetic and my dealer has me scheduled for after the camping season to do all of the needed repairs. The one non cosmetic issue we have is the 5 way remote will only work three items. When we took delivery of the unit we knew of the issue and the dealer thought the board was bad. I told them to ship me the new board and I would install it did not think they would but they did. I replaced the board synced the remote and same problem so now they are in contact with Jayco to find a solution(I personally think it is the remote). It is a small problem but to the point of quality assurance, you would have thought that would have been checked before it was sent out. Now we have been out twice in our new unit, once for a week and the other a 3 day weekend, no issues. I have taken pics of every little thing and emailed it to my dealer and they tell me they will take care of it. We love the unit and I have the upmost confidence in our dealer to ensure everything is made right when we take it to them. Sorry so lengthy but wanted to share thoughts. Happy Camping everyone
jleedy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Good news. There are so many out there to choose from that it's just amazing. We're camped next to an Entegra Odyssey 26D right now. It has two slides, is 29 feet long, the owners really like it. We'd never seen one before. It's nice looking. We thought all the Entegras were giant Class As. It has a dinette as well as a couch, which makes it a bit more spacious than ours. We like their stove. It's a three burner with controls in the front rather than on top (so many things to consider when buying one of these $$$ on wheels). We still wouldn't trade. Have fun looking.
That is awesome koko!!!!!!! Nice to hear from somebody with access to one that close! The Odyssey is the model I have been looking at on line only so far. I kind of hoped with the Entegra brand name it might be a better coach
If you get a chance.........would you ask them if they had any problems when they first got it?
If you can that would be great........if you don't.............no problem!
Thanks Buddy!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #37

Build Quality

Hey Koko,
My wife and I are about to take a 3 month vacation taking in New Orleans , San Antonio and then west to New Mexico and Nevada , any suggestions or tips ? We have never been west of Texas and are looking for places to visit in February March .

Eddy
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #38

Eddy, of course in San Antonio hit the Alamo and w/out a doubt the River Walk. The Alamo is very moving and educational.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #39

Quote:
I kind of hoped with the Entegra brand name it might be a better coach
This isn't the case. It's just a Greyhawk with a different name. I was looking for a particular floor plan, which none of the dealers had. Then one day, boom, the Jayco dealer got 2 in and the Entegra dealer got 1 in, same floor plan, different name on the RV. Makes me think that Jayco just runs a bunch of a particular floor plan for Greyhawk and Entegra at the same time.

The only advantage is in dealers, now more dealers are able to sell the same product. In my town the only Geyhawk dealer is 60 miles away, now the Entegra dealer 3 miles away can sell the same product.

I'm enjoying my Entegra, although I haven't had any major issues with it, the overall workmanship is disappointing.

On a positive note, it's nice having full body paint, just washed it and it came out great using my DIY deionization setup. It's sunny and 82.f, didn't dry anything and no water spots!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #40

Quote:
That is awesome koko!!!!!!! Nice to hear from somebody with access to one that close! The Odyssey is the model I have been looking at on line only so far. I kind of hoped with the Entegra brand name it might be a better coach
If you get a chance.........would you ask them if they had any problems when they first got it?
If you can that would be great........if you don't.............no problem!
Thanks Buddy!
Retired LEO...Thank you for your service! I for one support our Police Officers even though there are a few bad apples here and there. What industry or profession doesn't have that problem? Thanks Sir for keeping our streets safe during your tenure.

As bababooey said...Entegra Class C's are made by Jayco. You can look at that a couple of ways...first, Entegra is a known name and wouldn't want to put that name at risk so they must think Jayco builds a pretty good Class C. Next, I looked at Entegra and liked them but bought a Jayco Prestige instead because it actually had more options (Fullbody Paint, Alcoa Aluminum wheels, Slide toppers, and 4 door refrigerator) than the Entegra I looked at and was actually cheaper. The dealer network is better with Jayco which sealed the deal.

Let me give you a personal warning. We owned a 40' Country Coach Diesel Pusher with a 400hp Cat several years ago. Very nice coach with all the whistles and bells. Very expensive (for this poor boy anyway) but something we had always wanted. Long story short I took it in for service before a planned vacation and the dealer wrecked it and actually took the whole frontend from the door froward out...they wound up buying it back from us. That actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise because Country Coach went bellyup the very next year.

The point I'm trying to make is pick your product wisely. Make sure the company is stable and big enough to withstand a downturn in the economy. If I still owned that Country Coach when that downturn happened I would have been ok except for a couple of very important considerations that the Good Lord saved me from.

First...Banks won't loan money on a RV that the company is no longer in business so resale would have been tough to impossible if I had needed to sell for some reason. Can you say major drop in value. Second...no dealer network and no warranty or service and possibly no parts that were Country Coach exclusive.

I was mad when it happened but counted my lucky stars the next year when they went bankrupt.

Choose very carefully!