Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTwo View Post
I have a 2016 Jayco Redhawk and not sure what this recall is all about. Is the pump in this recall used for automatic leveling?
Hank
It involves the bracket welded to the frame that the leveler pump mounts to, they have a habit of breaking and falling off, usually while going down the road.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #22

Equalizer Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do all years have the same system? (Brand name)

As I mentioned earlier, unless things have changed the leveling systems were added to the chassis by either Mor-Ryde or Lippert before they went to the assembly line. So depending on which brand was used and who did the mounting, could be the reason for the differences.
The 2018.5 Senecas are Equalizer Systems, a Days Company of Elkhart, IN. Webpage says they started in 1990. https://equalizersystems.com/about-us/
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #23

Here are pictures of how they welded the bracket to the frame on my 2020 Seneca.
Attached Thumbnails
217D1102-3A2A-43D2-87B7-452424FF6F9C.jpg   08B05843-C02D-4EB1-A428-6FA63C5E1E17.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #24

Mine has that same bracket set up and looks ok. I'm considering drilling 2 holes through it to the frame and install to bolts through it in case weld job fails and will keep it hanging
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #25

Bracket on the 2020 Accolade

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ Pump 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	64027

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ Pump 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	64028

The bracket is welded to the frame. It does, however, look like it could benefit from some additional support.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #26

So... Freightliner has a HUGE warning about any sort of welding on the frame of the chassis... And Jayco spec's this out with Mor-ryde or Lippert to weld this to the frame (instead of the recommended method of fastening)

Me thinks that is not right!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
So... Freightliner has a HUGE warning about any sort of welding on the frame of the chassis... And Jayco spec's this out with Mor-ryde or Lippert to weld this to the frame (instead of the recommended method of fastening)

Me thinks that is not right!
How do you think they do a frame stretch when needed? They have to weld.

https://www.morryde.com/chassis/

A LEADING CHASSIS MODIFIER

MORryde is the leading chassis modifier for the RV and transit bus industries with chassis being shipped to us from five different states. From truck frames to the popular E-series, our experience allows us to work on a complete range of chassis, including the International and Freightliner chassis.

https://www.lci1.com/chassis# (scroll down)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #28

Quote:
How do you think they do a frame stretch when needed? They have to weld.

https://www.morryde.com/chassis/

A LEADING CHASSIS MODIFIER

MORryde is the leading chassis modifier for the RV and transit bus industries with chassis being shipped to us from five different states. From truck frames to the popular E-series, our experience allows us to work on a complete range of chassis, including the International and Freightliner chassis.

https://www.lci1.com/chassis# (scroll down)
And obviously because of this recall... their fabrication/design/welding must suck pretty bad!

Is Jayco checking the other work they are "Welding to the frame" that might be just as prone to failure as the Bigfoot/Equalizer mounting bracket?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #29

Quote:
And obviously because of this recall... their fabrication/design/welding must suck pretty bad!

Is Jayco checking the other work they are "Welding to the frame" that might be just as prone to failure as the Bigfoot/Equalizer mounting bracket?

As a fabricator myself, I am not impressed by the welds I have looked at on my chassis. At least the jack mounts index off of and hook under the frame rail and then welded to the frame

Old 09-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
As a fabricator myself, I am not impressed by the welds I have looked at on my chassis. At least the jack mounts index off of and hook under the frame rail and then welded to the frame
Yep.. I crawled under our Seneca yesterday afternoon and took a good flashlight with me to really look at the situation. First observation was the total absence of any gussets on anything they did. Then it is so sad that they welded things to the frame and never cleaned the weld or made any attempt to paint it - just left it to rust.

Rustynuts, the place they installed our pump, would not work with your bolt on brace - there is no bracket below the frame to attach to. All they did was weld a chunk of c-channel to the frame.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Mine has that same bracket set up and looks ok. I'm considering drilling 2 holes through it to the frame and install to bolts through it in case weld job fails and will keep it hanging
You should not drill through the flange of a frame.
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Rustynuts, the place they installed our pump, would not work with your bolt on brace - there is no bracket below the frame to attach to. All they did was weld a chunk of c-channel to the frame.

This is a difference with the S2 chassis then. There are many holes already in the frame to fab off of, my first though was to just bridge straight across to the other side of the frame to an existing hole. The weld on mine was not horrible (but unpainted) but its just a matter of time with that much weight out on an unsupported mount that vibration will take its toll on it. Anything to keep it from vibrating as you are going down the road.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Unless things have changed, those are probably done at either LIPPERT or MOR-RYDE when they do the frame stretch. That could be the reason for the differences.
Did more research on this.. Seneca's come from Freightliner with the Frame Rails and Wheelbase built to specifications already... There is no "Frame Stretch on the Freightliner units. Ours came out of the factory with a frame rail 453".

They also pre-drill the frame rails for all of the standard accessories that would mount to the frame - No need to be welding on the frame

Old 09-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #34

I got an email for Jayco stating my 2020 Accolade is not subject to the recall.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #35
MD3

I just got an email from Jayco for my 2018 Seneca M2 chassis (pics of mine posted prior on post #17).

From Jayco :
"I do not have you listed under this recall."

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #36

Jayco Melbourne 2013-14 hydraulic jacks too low

My jacks are only 6” from the ground and has been an ongoing problem. They can’t raise them because of the fuel line running above them. Dumb!
Why aren’t the Melbournes being recalled as well?
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #37

I drive my Redhawk up onto 2x6" wood pieces and fine-tune leveling with a couple cheap scissor jacks. Glad I didn't buy the expensive option.
Alerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #38

Pretend shocked

Not shocked considering this is the same company who runs cheap dry wall screws into any hollow wall, foam insulation or plastic part without anything anchored. Cheap owners using Amish workers as a quality token.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #39

I called Jayco Customer Service yesterday to inquire if my 2018 Greyhawk was subject to this recall as I had not received any recall notification (posted recall notice indicated 2016-2019 Greyhawks were included). Surprisingly, I was advised my unit was not on the recall list? A check under my rig shows the same welded on mounting bracket without any additional support as depicted in the pics on this thread. It did feel very solid though, however I still question why my rig does not require the recall repair....
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #40

Ours broke in Sept. of 2019. We had stopped at the welcome center @ Fort Collins, Colorado, walking back from the welcome center, I thought "what the heck is hanging down from our motor home. It was the hydraulic unit, just hanging by the wiring. Not sure when weld broke, but very fortunate it didn't fall completely off while traveling, hard to tell how much damage it would have caused. (or could have even had a crash!!) Got it ratchet strapped up at the welcome center, and made an appointment with Nathan's RV Service in Fort Collins. Nathan's did a super job, with extra bracing, and a complete weld on channel, not just a spot weld. Cost was $200, which JAYCO REIMBURSED US.....OUR 2017 Jayco Seneca 37 TS was still in warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0495.jpg  
JJFRANCIS is offline   Reply With Quote