Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

jayco red hawk class c

anyone have any comments.... most comments on this forum is gray hawks and Seneca. are Redhawks issue free, can't believe it...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Apparently, we are the redheaded stepchildren in the MH world here..

But, there's quite a few here with Redhawks... we're special...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #3

Nothing wrong with a Redhawk. It just doesn't have all the more fancy stuff. We could all live without the fancy stuff if we needed to. I love my Grey, but some of it is even a bit too much for me; like 4 TV's. Each bunk has it own TV plus the queen in the back has one. All we use is the one in front. For me, the number one requirement of any rig is to keep the mosquito's off me. Everything else is just fluff. Enjoy your Red.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

I almost bought the Red but fell in love with the big 4 door fridge in the Grey. I was stepping up from a Lance camper and the Red would have been a very nice jump. But my eyes watered when I saw the Grey. What can I say? And I have had a list of problems like many others.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Red fit the bill

After learning the RV ropes on used rigs I decided to take the plunge on a new rig. We looked for a long time and thought a trailer would work, went out and bought the new TV and then started looking at TT's. Looked for weeks, then one day stepped into a 31xl red and decided it was for us.
Definitely had to make some compromises but at the end of the day we had our first new RV. What a learning curve, learning to deal with the dealer and demanding the little things get fixed and not leaving the service bay until I'm satisfied.
We've had the red for 9 months and have almost. 9k on it. No major issues at all. Start it up and go.
I'm learning so much from all those they have posted and looking forward to years of enjoyment with my red. It's more MH than we've ever had and am grateful to have it.
Go red!
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 AM   #6

we have a red hawk 22j and love it. forget the dealer find someone local that has jayco warrantee authorization, we did....
Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #7

Nothing wrong with a Redhawk. The bones are basically the same between the red and the grey. Few more toys and whistles on the Greyhawk.

2 primary reasons we chose Greyhawk over Redhawk:
1) DW has more "refined" tastes than me, so she liked the "feel" of the Greyhawk. "Happy wife, happy life!"
2) In the year we were looking (2018), the Greyhawk had the benefit of the fiberglass roof, and that was a primary selling feature for me. The rubber roof membranes have always made me a bit nervous. Looks like standard roof on Redhawk is still a membrane roof, at least in the 2019 models?

We were making a huge step anyway, so I figured for a little bigger "step", the upgraded features were worth it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

There's nothing wrong with your membrane roof. It's probably TPO and will last a very long time. It also has some advantages. Perhaps a little quieter in the rain would be one. Maybe a tad better insulating value might be another. Just clean it real good at the beginning of every season.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #9

thanks, have had rubber/tpo roofs on our tt's for years without any issues. talked to too mfg. several yrs ago, does not need any special cleaners or sealers. if you must wash it for black streaks use only Murphy soap. many co's are in the roof cleaning/sealing business but non of it is necessary. like rv covers the only person that gains is the mtg'er. rv's have sat outside for yrs without issue just wash and wax 2 times yrly....ny 2 cents.....
Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

Rain on the fiberglass roof ... a tad noisy
Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Rain on the fiberglass roof ... a tad noisy
Meh, doesn't bother me. Honestly I can't hear the difference between this roof and my TT roof which was TPO...

Living where I live, I actually like the sound of the rain. I don't get to hear it often...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #12

We are newbies to RV'ing and have had our Redhawk (2018 26xd) for a couple of weeks. My wife and I (and our three small dogs) love it! It is a good size for us and very easy to drive. Only issues so far appear to be minor. Black tank sensor not working well (apparently a common problem and we've gotten some great advice on this forum that we will try). The water pump goes on for a second now and then when we are not using water. Have to check valves, etc. to see if there's a small leak somewhere. I think it's really personal taste. Who knows? We might move up to a Greyhawk some day!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Nothing wrong with a Redhawk. The bones are basically the same between the red and the grey. Few more toys and whistles on the Greyhawk.

2 primary reasons we chose Greyhawk over Redhawk:
1) DW has more "refined" tastes than me, so she liked the "feel" of the Greyhawk. "Happy wife, happy life!"
2) In the year we were looking (2018), the Greyhawk had the benefit of the fiberglass roof, and that was a primary selling feature for me. The rubber roof membranes have always made me a bit nervous. Looks like standard roof on Redhawk is still a membrane roof, at least in the 2019 models?

We were making a huge step anyway, so I figured for a little bigger "step", the upgraded features were worth it.

Most definitely in your corner on that decision. This is why we did the same, only in 2017 on a new one.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #14

We have a 2016 redhawk 26xd We love it! its the perfect size for 2 of us and a small dog, we have put about 7,000 miles on it in the last 2 years without any problems (knock wood) taking it across the country next spring! The greys have some very nice upgrades, but for us, it just wasn't worth the extra money
Vgray157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #15

Redhawk Owner

I own a 2016 Redhawk 29XK. Bought it New October 2015 now have 35K miles on and have yet I had purchased any other model.
I added Equalizer Leveling system last year at Elkhart Equalizer factory for less than half what Jayco listed on invoice for other units. We have throughly enjoyed every mile.
Would not do anything different.
dyoung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #16

Dicor, which makes many of the rubber RV roofs, currently recommends Dawn for roof cleaning.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #17

We’ve had our 2019 Redhawk 25R for just about a year now. It’s our third RV. We had a Thor, (terrible RV), we had a Winnebago, (it was just too small for us excellent product), and now with this red hawk we are very pleased. We fell in love with the floorplan, (at least my wife did, I like it too). Yes, it does not come with all the fancy upgrades but the price was just right for us. Since purchased I’ve made numerous suspension upgrades added a bedroom TV with an extra bracket to hang outside.

We love it!, no major issues the only thing I wish we had were the leveling jacks, but the brackets are already there, it’s about a $3K upgrade.

No regrets on this purchase. Good luck if you purchase one, make it your own!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #18

2019 Jayco Redhawk 26XD

We have a 2019 Redhawk 26XD. I do wish we had gone with the Greyhawk! I'm not liking some of the design of the Redhawk the more we use it! Very little storage space, hated the short jacknife sofa -took that out & added recliners! Then we took out dinette & add cabinet with bar style eating! Absolutely HATE the queen size bed should have held out for my king size!

That being said we made our choice due more on price because we will not be able to live the RV lifestyle for too many years due to my hubby's age so didn't want to invest a ton of money! In that respect it is basically a good product for the price! Don't miss the fancy Nancy trims, etc.! Which brings me to my favorite soapbox - when will RV manufacturers change up some deigns - dinettes are uncomfortable to use for eating or sitting -a useless space! A jacknife sofa that is uncomfortable to sit & only a small child could sleep there! I wish builders would realize a lot of us seniors prefer recliners, don't travel with a cast of thousands so don't need every nook & cranny to provide more sleeping quarters! Nice for large families but for us old folks we need comfortable seating, lots of storage & a large bed! Nuff said

Some minor problems with electrical stuff & had to do alignment, adjust the casters & added Safe-t-Ride but Jayco has been pretty problem free. Enjoy
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 PM   #19

We have a 2018 Redhawk 26X1 which is an identical floor plan to the 26XD but on the Chevrolet chassis instead of Ford. We have owned it for a little over 1 year and have had no major issues. The bedroom slide went out of sync due and became stuck part of the way out due to stopping midway. We had to go to the dealer to be shown how to fix this using the standard slide toggle switch. The slide controller is under the bed and when the slide is in the controller is inaccessible. Our major complaints are the bed being too small, the jackknife couch not comfortable and not enough storage. We would like to replace the jackknife sofa with recliners and possibly make some changes to the dinette.This was in our price range and great RV for the price.

@jkkinder The recliner and dinette upgrade sounds great and is something we would like to do. Would you be willing to provide information on the recliners, cabinet and bar along with a picture? Thank You
DavePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #20

the recliners sound nice, can you give me any info on them?
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote