Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #21

24B slide

Wish I had known this in April 2021 when we ordered. We only been out once but I've moved the slide in and out a few times to show people or search for the controller (found). I do notice somewhere at mid point the smooth moving slide seems to hit a little bump or jerk and then it continues. I too wondered about the shear weight of it all. Huge. We roll again in late June. I'll be keeping close watch on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
My 2 cents on the Jayco Redhawk 24B. [sorry if it comes too late for others who have recently bought one]

My Redhawk 24B slide out is messed up badly, now jumping teeth top to bottom on the side closest to the driver's door known as the "fixed side" of the slide mech. I'm not going to get into what I've tried on this public forum, as I don't wish to void any warranty having my words used against me, but in short I've tried a whole heck of a lot. If you read my other posts you can see I'm not afraid to get in and fix things or customize when needed, I work with both wood and metal frequently.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy something else besides this rig. I'm now in agreement with others here on this forum; that this full wall slide, as it is currently designed by Jayco, is a time bomb waiting to go off. It just cannot handle the weight of what it is being asked to do long term.

Secondly, even after all my suspension upgrades, which have been extensive and costly, this rig still cannot tow my 4 door 2019 Jeep worth a darn in straight line without constant steering input from me every millisecond. The Redhawk 24B drives fine and true without the Jeep attached. The Jeep drives great on it's own too. But tow the Jeep behind the Redhawk and it just sucks no matter the road conditions or wind speed.

I need to get rid of this rig and go another direction all together. My wife and I are discussing options now as we this rig drive from Gardnerville, NV. to South Padre Island, TX. for a kiteboarding vacation. I imagine it'll be out of my driveway soon after we return home and we will go another way for our future RV life. If you are intrigued by the 24B's moderate size and large slide out, as we were, my recommendation is to steer clear of this model. If you really want one, mine will be for sale soon.

In the grand scheme of things, all first world problems though...
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #22

[QUOTE=artie p;1043251]Wish I had known this in April 2021 when we ordered. We only been out once but I've moved the slide in and out a few times to show people or search for the controller (found). I do notice somewhere at mid point the smooth moving slide seems to hit a little bump or jerk and then it continues. I too wondered about the shear weight of it all. Huge. We roll again in late June. I'll be keeping close watch on this.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to watch the videos of how to find the motors on both sides of the slide, release the set screws, pop the motors up out of the gears and push the slide in manually (with help of course). Also have precut 2x4 braces cut to length to hold the top side of the slide in while returning home should you ever need to perform this exercise.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
We just had the wheel bearings repacked and the shocks and struts replaced (53,000 mi) because of uneven tire wear. Interestingly, we had chunks of tire loss at 35,000 miles and replaced all the tires ( those were Michelins). Now, on Firestones with uneven wear. Wondering if the fact we altered the caster early on may be causing the uneven wear. Service provider suggested alot of off roading!! We do boondock a fair bit, bit its not down miles of bad road.
Interesting finding. Thanks for posting.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie p View Post
Wish I had known this in April 2021 when we ordered. We only been out once but I've moved the slide in and out a few times to show people or search for the controller (found). I do notice somewhere at mid point the smooth moving slide seems to hit a little bump or jerk and then it continues. I too wondered about the shear weight of it all. Huge. We roll again in late June. I'll be keeping close watch on this
Wish I could be more positive overall. To be fair on this rig... for the towing aspect, it is possible I have something set wrong, but just cannot figure it out...and thus, cannot get it corrected. Where others have had better luck or a better towing combo... mystery to me...

The slide issue is fixable problem, although probably costly once the two year warranty runs out on the slides. But if fixed right with a Vroom upgraded slide or similar could be trouble free for years.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:07 AM   #25

Since i am now beyond 2 years since date of purchase and thus out of time on getting the Schwintek slide out fixed under warranty, this .pdf was sent to me by Jayco customer service regarding getting the Schwintek slide fixed. It is their tech procedure for fixing the Schwintek slides. I thought I would pass it along. Best of luck with those full wall slide outs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 22-044 SRP Schwintek Slide-out System.pdf (1.45 MB, 16 views)
Old 05-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #26

We had the 24B and the slide problem was over the top - bought a Tiffin 2019 Wayfarer with a small slide and better Construction - tows our TJ Jeep fine. It is diesel Mercedes so expect a little more expense on fill up.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:56 AM   #27

[QUOTE=drmike961;1043264]
Quote:
Originally Posted by artie p View Post
Wish I had known this in April 2021 when we ordered. We only been out once but I've moved the slide in and out a few times to show people or search for the controller (found). I do notice somewhere at mid point the smooth moving slide seems to hit a little bump or jerk and then it continues. I too wondered about the shear weight of it all. Huge. We roll again in late June. I'll be keeping close watch on this.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to watch the videos of how to find the motors on both sides of the slide, release the set screws, pop the motors up out of the gears and push the slide in manually (with help of course). Also have precut 2x4 braces cut to length to hold the top side of the slide in while returning home should you ever need to perform this exercise.
2x4's to hold the slide's top against the wall. Interesting. My 2005 uses a type of jack that you install on the inside of the main slide, within a "cubby" shelf. These jacks are adjustable length, with a handle you pull to extend or retract the jack. Their purpose as explained to me by the previous owner is to hold the upper part of the slider against the RV, to prevent it from backing off during traveling. I have a post-it note by the sliders switch to remind myself to remove these jacks prior to opening, as well as sliding the drivers seat forward (the slider will rub against the seat back while it is opening/closing).

With the size issues of the 24B, does it not come with these jacks as well? Perhaps this adds to the frame alignment issues happening if there is no factory bracing of the frame while in travel?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #28

[QUOTE=bucko;1047416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
2x4's to hold the slide's top against the wall. Interesting. My 2005 uses a type of jack that you install on the inside of the main slide, within a "cubby" shelf. These jacks are adjustable length, with a handle you pull to extend or retract the jack. Their purpose as explained to me by the previous owner is to hold the upper part of the slider against the RV, to prevent it from backing off during traveling. I have a post-it note by the sliders switch to remind myself to remove these jacks prior to opening, as well as sliding the drivers seat forward (the slider will rub against the seat back while it is opening/closing).

With the size issues of the 24B, does it not come with these jacks as well? Perhaps this adds to the frame alignment issues happening if there is no factory bracing of the frame while in travel?
Most RVs do not come with a slide lock. No there is not a frame alignment issue with the 24B (usually) and it is solid going down the road, it is just a very underperforming mechanism for that much weight. One slight mishap and it jumps teeth. From then on it is junk until disassembled and new parts likely thrown at it and them reassembled. Rinse and repeat.