Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #1

Jayco Redhawk 26M or 24B

Who here has a Jayco Redhawk 26M or 24B?
HDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

We have a Entegra Odyssey 24b.
dangercliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangercliff View Post
We have a Entegra Odyssey 24b.
I know they are sister products, and the Entegra is a step up.

What type of slide do you have?

Is it a cable, if so, is it electric motor or hydraulic?

Do you know if they have the same slide mechanism?
Old 02-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #4

schwintek slide, electric, two motors one on each side at the top corners, gear driven on track on the slide out. I have heard they are a good product but were not meant to be used on this large of a slide. I have had some problems with mine but when a I do I can go to the controller and override and still get the slide out in or out as needed, at least so far. I believe both 24b have the same slide out. Hold down on slide out switch for 5 seconds after slide out has stopped moving fully in or out is recommended to keep the motors in sync. Do not stop slide part way in or out. Good luck
Old 02-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
schwintek slide, electric, two motors one on each side at the top corners, gear driven on track on the slide out. I have heard they are a good product but were not meant to be used on this large of a slide. I have had some problems with mine but when a I do I can go to the controller and override and still get the slide out in or out as needed, at least so far. I believe both 24b have the same slide out. Hold down on slide out switch for 5 seconds after slide out has stopped moving fully in or out is recommended to keep the motors in sync. Do not stop slide part way in or out. Good luck
Thanks for the answer.

Darn - I was hoping that was not the answer.

Schwintek Slides
These slides have a bad reputation in the RV industry, potentially due to their improper use. Schwintek slides are very inexpensive systems, but they were designed to support low loads and shallow slides like a closet or sofa.
https://toolbox.igus.com/motion-plas...out-mechanisms

I had just convinced myself to consider an RV with slides. I was looking at
THOR CHATEAU 28A & THOR FOUR WINDS 28A
Minnie Winnie 25 B

Because they have no slides.

I saw one guy on a forum post about all the work he had done on RVs over the years and his RV was a no slide unit. He sounded like he knew his stuff.

Slides scare me. The simpler the better in my mind.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Careful, that is how my problems started. Using the override controller excessively caused mine jump teeth and break parts. It forces the issue I have been told. This slide is hot garbage.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider View Post
Thanks for the answer.

Schwintek Slides
These slides have a bad reputation in the RV industry, potentially due to their improper use. Schwintek slides are very inexpensive systems, but they were designed to support low loads and shallow slides like a closet or sofa.

Minnie Winnie 25 B

I saw one guy on a forum post about all the work he had done on RVs over the years and his RV was a no slide unit. He sounded like he knew his stuff.

Go with your gut on this one. Learn from my mistake. The 24B slide is a time bomb.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Careful, that is how my problems started. Using the override controller excessively caused mine jump teeth and break parts. It forces the issue I have been told. This slide is hot garbage.
I rarely have to use it but am glad I can when I need it. Thank you for the advice as I was not aware of that.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:28 AM   #9

Considering how widely used the Schwintek Slides are I am surprised we do not hear about more problems.

Am I mistaken in saying it is the most widely used slide mechanism?
Old 02-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Considering how widely used the Schwintek Slides are I am surprised we do not hear about more problems.

Am I mistaken in saying it is the most widely used slide mechanism?
How many forums have you read? How many techs have you spoken with? I have heard of plenty of Schwintech problems. I have witnessed a pile of slide rails at the second to last shop that I used. I have had problems since day one. Even when it is fixed it is not truly fixed for good. All I can do is not use my slide anymore unless I have to, which means sleeping diagonal in bed. If that sound fine with you then go for it.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
How many forums have you read? How many techs have you spoken with? I have heard of plenty of Schwintech problems. I have witnessed a pile of slide rails at the second to last shop that I used. I have had problems since day one. Even when it is fixed it is not truly fixed for good. All I can do is not use my slide anymore unless I have to, which means sleeping diagonal in bed. If that sound fine with you then go for it.
Obviously you are frustrated, and for good reason.

I have read a lot of forums. The problem is real, but people are not talking more about it, or maybe it gets buried in the catch all of the current lack of build quality and cheaper manufacturing methods.

I think you missed my point, which is, Why are people not talking about the slide problem?. That is probably the most popular slide mechanism in place today.

I am not dismissing your input. I'd just like to see more light shined on the problem.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #12

I do
redhawkwidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkwidow View Post
I do
How long have you had it?

Any slide problems?
Old 03-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #14

Quote:
How long have you had it?

Any slide problems?

If you do not want to be convinced that this slide is not problematic (neither did I) then just buy one, but the evidence is abundant with a little research. This is especially true with a large slide.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:
If you do not want to be convinced that this slide is not problematic (neither did I) then just buy one, but the evidence is abundant with a little research. This is especially true with a large slide.
The Schwintek slide seems to be used by everyone. The problems seems to go across all manufactures and models.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #16

Schwintek Slide Systems
Over 70 RV brands use the Schwintek slide-out system from Lippert. A Schwintek slide is a type of slide-out that’s commonly used on motorhomes and towable RVs. The slide is unique in that it uses some worm gears to make the slide out move in and out of the RV.

There are motors to either side of the slide that help the slide move when you want it to move, and there’s a panel inside the RV that allows you to control the motor. Schwintek slides are generally easy to use and that’s why you’ll find them on a wide variety of RVs out there.

He arrived and we tried putting the slide out. It jammed up like it had previously. He looked at it for a few minutes and told me that it would need to go to a shop since he couldn’t access the top motor from the outside and to get to the motor on the inside he’d have to take apart all the trim work around the slide. This technician told me no one would want to do the work in the field.

Shawn arrived and we ran through the same opening procedures that I did the day before with the other technician. The slide still refused to open properly. Shawn then had me open the basement door to access the controller. He set the controller into manual mode and we got the slide to open fully.

I had read in the troubleshooting about the manual mode but didn’t understand how it would work with the slide cockeyed like ours was.

Once the slide was open we started to retract it but it made a bunch of noise and was really shaky closing so we extended it out so we can have our living space while we wait for parts. The top track had a lot of metal shavings where the gears were rubbing wrong.

https://gofulltimerving.com/schwinte...system-issues/
Old 03-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #17

I have a 2019 25R, I’m pretty sure my slide mechanism is same as yours. Never had an issue and we use the heck out of our RV!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a 2020 Redhawk 24 B
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

Schwintek Slides

Minnie Winnie 25 B

Good move. The slide on the 24B has a Schwintek mechanism and is a poor choice for the size of the slide. The bean counters wanted to save money.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #20

Quote:
I have a 2020 Jayco Redhawk 24 B
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote