Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #21
MD3

I just picked up an ATC brand aluminum trailer with a rounded nose.
Last trip out was the first trip with it. It towed great and I was pleasantly surprised how good it handled.
I think I'm going to raise the trailer a couple inches but that's just for off-road ground clearance. Other than that it worked perfect.

When I was shopping for a trailer I saw a few with what was claimed to be extended RV tongues on the trailers. I would assume those are to help with maneuverability.

-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8500.jpg  
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #22

I am not sure how much I trust that aaa website. The aaa site says the max length for a motor home in FL is 40’, but if you look it up, the states transportation website says its actually 50’. I tend to believe the state site, just because if the aaa site was right, all those 45’ tag owners who “live” in FL would not be able to drive them in FL.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #23

Cost And Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I just picked up an ATC brand aluminum trailer with a rounded nose. -
MD3, how long is your trailer? Do you feel longer or shorter would have worked? Probably like building a shed, never big enough inside.

Do we really think you could get away with a 30 foot trailer behind a Seneca (jetski conected to tow vehicle) or will this result in tickets?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #24
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
MD3, how long is your trailer? Do you feel longer or shorter would have worked? Probably like building a shed, never big enough inside.

Do we really think you could get away with a 30 foot trailer behind a Seneca (jetski conected to tow vehicle) or will this result in tickets?
My trailer is almost 29’ tip to tail. It is a 26’ model but only a +22’ box and the added rounded nose over the extended tongue.
I personally wouldn’t go any longer and wished mine was about 2’ shorter overall. The extended tongue is really nice for cranking around corners without as much worry about jackknifing.

A 30’ model trailer is probably going to be over +35’ long tip to tail which is almost as long as the Seneca. That would be too long for my comfort.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #25

Looks good I hope to have my enclosed trailer ready next week for pick up. It is a V nose with an extra foot of length on the front for maneuvering. It will run on drop axles with the spring on top for off road clearance.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #26

I specifically bought an '08 seneca because it was 36'8" and my 24' enclosed aluminum trailer is 24' with a 4' tongue.

This put me under the 65' limit that I had seen with most of my internet searching.

I'm still trying to figure out my runabout solution for when I haul my race car (which is not street legal) in the trailer.

I'm not a 2 wheeler fan, I need to measure my rear space in the trailer -- but I think I only have about 8' max.

Mike
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #27

Almost ready

I got anxious about my trailer so went to the fab shop and she is real close. I hope to pick it up by the end of the week. I will not be able to fit it out until I get back from Middlebury and DW in May. I know some are going to say the water heater should not be in that location, but after talking to some trailer rv people and Suburban themselves, while not their preference it should work in this application. Once the side by sides are off we would light the heater with the doors open. If using the unit as a straight car hauler there would be no water in the system. She has two 92 gallon tanks mounted inside the frame rails and has an outdoor shower port. Am excited about the potential of it for extended boondocking without the worry of A) enough water and (B keeping the wife happy now that she can wash her hair.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer rear shot.jpg   Trilaer front shot.jpg   trailer pass side (3).jpg   IMG_0497.jpg  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #28

Sure looks nice!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #29

That is a sweet looking trailer. Lots of time in the back country with that set up. Best of luck and safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote