Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

Jayco Seneca 37TS towing?

2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS will I be able to tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with it? Has anyone towed a car or Jeep behind it? Thanks for the info... What kind of mileage?
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

I tow a 20' all the time @ 7500# and have no problems. We drop off a bit on steep hills, but can't complain too much! Are there any laws on max length? You're really going to be taking up some real estate with that behemoth!!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS will I be able to tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with it? Has anyone towed a car or Jeep behind it? Thanks for the info... What kind of mileage?
Many of us Seneca owners tow a car/SUV, I have both a 2013 Ford Focus ST and a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport and decide which one to take depending on intended passenger counts. I have found my Seneca gets about the same mileage towing either one, despite a significant difference in vehicle weights. What seems to be a much bigger influence on fuel mileage is my speed. Drive a leisurely 55 mph and I have gotten 11 - 12 mpg towing my Explorer as reported by my ScanGauge. Bump that speed to 65 and it drops to 9 - 10 mpg. Faster yet, even less.

A number of Seneca owners tow trailers likely over the Seneca's posted GCWR and I have not seen any ill effects reported on this forum. But I would strongly recommend that whatever you tow, be it another vehicle or a trailer, have an effective braking system. While quickly slowing I can feel my Explorer "push" until my Even Brake system kicks in. I can only imagine what a heavily loaded trailer would feel like on significant downhill highway off-ramp!
Attached Thumbnails
ScanGauge capture 3.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
After looking at your question again, are you asking about triple-towing? Not trying to be sarcastic, I just am unsure from your question.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

There is more to this question than will it pull the weight. With enough patience, you can pull nearly anything up to 50,000 lbs, but it is not likely a good idea over some weight or size value. Many states have limits on total vehicle-and-trailer length, for example. And the chassis manufacturer has limits on the amount of weight their chassis can pull, and can effectively stop. You also don't want the tail wagging the dog, for obvious reasons.

We tow our Jeep, and our rig actually has some excess capacity for towing more weight than we ask it to. I also always use a supplementary brake system. Partly because it's a legal necessity in most states, and partly because I have thought through the ramifications of NOT having one. Not the least of which is the possibility that your insurance carrier could deny coverage of the entire mess were you to get in an accident, even if the over-weight-limit condition wasn't the cause.

You really ought to lay out the numbers and do the math on this, as the consequences may be too expensive to take the risk.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
I tow a 20' all the time @ 7500# and have no problems. We drop off a bit on steep hills, but can't complain too much! Are there any laws on max length? You're really going to be taking up some real estate with that behemoth!!
Someone else alluded to this and I forgot to mention that when we're towing, I have to be a bit more careful as to our weight. With the trailer, we've been very close to our max cap. I'd definitely recommend taking your rig to the scales to ensure you're not over.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

We have a 2015 36FK and tow our Toyota FJC and a Yamaha Kodiak 400ATV on our trailer. Our length is is 66-ft overall from front bumper to the back of the trailer.

We are right under our GCVW rating of 33,000# and have no problems at all towing - even on the long grades in/out of Salt Lake Valley. As mentioned already, make sure you have your brakes working on the trailer AND USE your engine brake on the Seneca on the downhill.

We have about 5,000 miles of towing this combination so far (photo) and you can see that we regularly hit the scale to make sure we are legal. The Weigh My Truck app is really awesome for getting your weight when fueling.
Attached Thumbnails
20161029_140132.jpg   Capture20170719.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

No triple towing😂😂
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

I tow a 22' V-nosed all aluminum race car trailer that is about 8300 all in. It does a great job. 28' is a lot of length and will probably exceed the 33,000 gcwr as well as the 10,000lbs rating on the hitch. I would suggest looking at the 20,000 lbs capacity hitches with the bigger engines and trans.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #10

Tongue weight?

Are any of you concerned about the tongue weight?
We are wanting to pull a two horse aluminum horse trailer (35oo#)with 2-1000#
Horses. I think we are fine on total weight just not sure about the tongue wt.
2018 Seneca
Tammy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

My tongue weight is anywhere around 800# and always fluctuates by what/how we load the trailer. Our axles are further back on our trailer - in comparison to a two-stall side-by-side horse trailer.

If you are towing that trailer loaded with a half-ton or 3/4-ton pickup truck now - then the Seneca will help you forget it is back there down the road.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #12

We have always pulled a gooseneck horse trailer with a one ton dually truck. We
Are wanting to alleviate taking two rigs. How did you get your tongue weight? Did you use a scale and only put the tongue on it? I just want to be safe hauling live animals. I know we are under the 10k towing hitch weight just a little confused on the tongue weight. Hitch is ok up to 1000# TW.
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We have a 2015 36FK and tow our Toyota FJC and a Yamaha Kodiak 400ATV on our trailer. Our length is is 66-ft overall from front bumper to the back of the trailer.

We are right under our GCVW rating of 33,000# and have no problems at all towing - even on the long grades in/out of Salt Lake Valley. As mentioned already, make sure you have your brakes working on the trailer AND USE your engine brake on the Seneca on the downhill.

We have about 5,000 miles of towing this combination so far (photo) and you can see that we regularly hit the scale to make sure we are legal. The Weigh My Truck app is really awesome for getting your weight when fueling.
WOW! At that length, you are illegal in most states.
State Towing Laws
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stewart View Post
We have always pulled a gooseneck horse trailer with a one ton dually truck. We
Are wanting to alleviate taking two rigs. How did you get your tongue weight? Did you use a scale and only put the tongue on it? I just want to be safe hauling live animals. I know we are under the 10k towing hitch weight just a little confused on the tongue weight. Hitch is ok up to 1000# TW.
Thanks for the help!
Cat Scale lets you do a re-weigh for only $3.00 - so we just unhooked the trailer and re-weighed the Seneca by itself.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
State Towing Laws
When 53-foot trailers were introduced, most overall vehicle-combination length restrictions were revised to 23 meters, or 75 feet.
We are shorter than the typical tractor/trailer running the highways today.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #16

Jayco Seneca 37TS towing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post

State Towing Laws

That table is at least partially incorrect. There is no federal length limit per se, at least for standard tractor trailer combos. (53' trailer). There are limits by state for non commercial vehicles that no LEOs enforce. The table is at least inaccurate for Michigan because total non commercial length here is 75', not 65' as it shows. I tow a 74'9" triple combo here and I'm completely legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #17

Tammy Stewart - We pull a 3 horse alum. trailer loaded with 3 horses, water and 800 lbs of feed with no problem. We slow a bit climbing over the Cascade mountains in Oregon. We have also towed our 10,000 lb. boat on a 3 axle trailer although we do slow down a bit more with that. We always use exhaust brake on the Seneca and have good trailer brakes.
meyerjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #18

Perfect! Thank you.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #19

So when towing I have always used an equalizer hitch but reading through the manual it says not to use a weight distribution hitch on it....why is this? Because of the airbag rear suspension? As far as tongue weight, I check mine with a scale I picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
5C84A890-89BC-4D58-B560-26F935A233C2.jpg  
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #20

State specific length restrictions

I also was looking at a 28+2 v nose enclosed trailer for towing behind the Seneca. I thought I could fit me Jetski connected to my compact suv inside; calculations ensured truck would not be overloaded. I wondered what restrictions would exist and I thought about posting up here on the forum. Unfortunately a quick google search dashed my ambitions plan (website posted below). Maybe a 24+2 with an ATV as the ramp mule is better. I am interested in what everyone on the forum has to say.

One thing I picked up in my research is with something so wide and flat at the back, such as a Seneca, it would be best to use a v nose to allow for sharper turns without jackknife.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/