Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #21

Gees, two summers without use!!! I would be asking for all sorts of reimbursements. Hope this isn't a look into what we have to look forward to. Will be trading if our's ends up in the shop more than getting used. Good luck to you both on getting things fixed right so you can start using your Seneca's again.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post
Our's was supposed to go back to Indiana (from California) for repairs the end of April. The repairs have been scheduled since last fall as I have been assured the unit will only be there for 10 days. After the realization that the Seneca will most likely sit untouched for weeks/months I have rescheduled for fall rather than getting excuses and not having use over the summer. The last dealer to work on our Seneca had it for 3 months (last summer) and did such a lousy job Jayco wants it back in Indiana! Very frustrating to say the least.

That really sucks. We took ours in early and were assured we were the first in line because it was off season. I just told them I will be there in 2 days to pick it up no matter what is done or not. Don't they realize bad news travels fast? What good is a warranty if nothing gets repaired?
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #23

It's sad. I really like the coach and love the chassis, towing with the Seneca is awesome compared to our past RV's. I'm amazed and shocked with the lack of quality control on these units before they leave the factory let alone the dealer PDI. I've had such a large list of issues Jayco has been sending me replacements directly so I can perform the repairs at home rather than losing the coach for months on end sitting at a dealer. Some of the items I have replaced:

Shower valve assembly - Broken handle
Shower head/wand - shutoff valve inoperable
Outside shower assembly - Cracked housing, leaking
Water filter assembly - Over tightened and cracked outlet housing, leaking
Wall clock - Inoperable
Window valence - Frayed and falling apart
Bed Spread - Frayed and falling apart
Cabinet/Drawer latches - Inoperable
Cabinet door fronts - Cabinet face's shrunk exposing raw, unstained wood
Light Fixtures - Inoperable
Coach Door - Caught fire and melted door skin from combo lock failure
Cold Water Vacuum Breaker - flooded rear bath cabinet
Crushed propane line - No propane to coach, replaced hose
Furnace full of debris - Activated smoke detectors during use, disassembled furnace and cleaned
Waste/Grey water dump valve rods - Rods bent/broken unable to dump tanks
Light/Fan/Pump switch in bathroom - Switches inoperable due to broken terminals
Waste lines piped uphill - Still dealing with this one
Paint cracked/peeling - Repaired locally, waiting for reimbursement from Jayco
Bent front spindles - Freightliner denied claim stating damage was done during RV construction ($1,800.00) Jayco stated as "good will" they will reimburse me...
TSB Shift Cable Isolation Kit - Bought and performed at home
DVD/TV issues - Found cables never connected to distribution box behind cabinet
Outside Radio - Inoperable, replaced
Power Step - Replaced control board
Closet Doors - Tracks mounted two inches into closet, hangars would not fit in closet, remounted tracks
Trim around steps curled up - Replaced trim
Interior slide out trim falling off - Removed and repaired trim
Coach Power issues - Found main ground wire loosely attached to frame
Exterior marker lights - Wire loose in wall, not connected
Fuel Gauges Inaccurate - Loose wires on float assembly
Head Lights out of adjustment - Hard to see at night, adjustment corrected issues
Floor Tiles Damaged From Slide Out - Waiting for repairs
Floor - Around around mid bath had the floor sink down, bath room walls and flooring removed, floated floor level, installed new tiles, re-installed walls (dealer)
Toilet Piped to Water Heater - Flushing the toilet starts the hot water heater, dealer was to repair however; toilet still activates water heater. Pending repair
Water Heater - Tank less system still does not operate correctly. Will not maintain water temperature. Pending repair
Bath Room Base Cabinet - Cabinet is cracking along the face, pending factory repair.
Large Gap In Wall - There is a large gap next to the stairs that your fingers fit through into the front passenger compartment. Not sure the fix on this one.
Slide Out Seal - Main slide out seal is falling off the top interior portion of the frame. Pending repairs
Fresh Water Tank - The venting design doesn't work. If you fill the tank for dry camping and drive down the road the water goes down the vent, creates a suction and drains the tank. I'm going to let the factory deal with this one. I combined all vent lines together and installed a valve. I have to climb under the coach close the valve after filling the tank during the drive then open the valve for venting during use. Once the level of the tank is 50% it is no longer has an issue.
Big Foot Lacks - Due to the design of the Freightliner rear air bags, retracting the leveling jacks causes the rig to roll forward dragging the jacks along the ground as they retract. Quadra Manufacturing (Big Foot) agrees that over time the jack seals will fail as the jacks are not designed for horizontal loads, only vertical. My concern is also the mounting brackets and welds. This is still a pending issue. Jayco states this is a normal condition.
Grey/Black tanks - The tanks where not installed correctly as the side mounting brackets were not under the flanges of the tanks. I removed and remounted all four tanks correctly.

I have owned one trailer and three class A RV's, nothing is perfect, every rig has needed attention sometimes via the dealer but mostly by myself. I get it. Unfortunately the Seneca has topped the charts with repairs passing my other coaches combined and the Seneca was by far the highest priced RV I've owned.

At least Jayco seems to stand behind their products. I don't understand why Jayco doesn't firm up quality control rather than spending all the costs of warranty work and bad publicity.

I really like the Seneca, now that I've ironed out most of the issues and once the factory repairs are completed I will have a great rig. Nothing beats the stability passing semi's or in high winds than the Seneca. The rig gets a ton of attention and questions at stops and campgrounds, just wish I had a better review to pass along on the Jayco side of things.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #24

Wow!! We have only had a couple of those issues (rolling forward, some trim, basement doors opening, fuel gauge etc. You must have a lot of patience!

We just picked our up from the dealer today after 3 weeks 2 days. They replaced 10 screws on the dinette (too long) and some trim under the fridge. That's it. NO safety recalls or the other minor issues. I'm done with them. Taking it to the factory monday and they said it will be fixed while I wait.

Oh and we stopped in Elkhart at Hill's for the recall on the parking brake actuator. They had us in and out in less than a 1/2 hour. Great service!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #25

Dan, don't you love the dealers? Just like the auto industry from the 70's! They could care less. That is why I find myself working on my stuff, haft the time it's not right when you pick it up.

Please let me know how it goes with the factory as I'll be driving there from California and leaving it there. They state 10-days, I'm thinking much longer...
Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #26

Wow is right, you sure have had issues. Our's so far are fairly minor compared to your list. Floor is our biggest problem, one piece of trim over main slide, 2 Basement door looks not working or holding well and hot water not getting hot enough. That turned out to be just a bad value of some sort in the shower hot/cold water knobs. Other than that all seems fine unless something pops up latter. Good luck to you both, hope all gets fixed and you don't have any others issues. Hope we don't either as yes, these Seneca's do cost a lot but can be awesome RV's.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post
Dan, don't you love the dealers? Just like the auto industry from the 70's! They could care less. That is why I find myself working on my stuff, haft the time it's not right when you pick it up.

Please let me know how it goes with the factory as I'll be driving there from California and leaving it there. They state 10-days, I'm thinking much longer...
Here is the icing on the cake as far as that dealer goes. I was told the owner said to get the service units out and let them sit. Get the new units in and prepped for sale. They are understaffed, poorly trained and managed.

I owned my business for 30yrs, we did auto,truck and the occasional RV repair. If I had ran it like that we would have been out of business.

Oh I already recieved a call from the factory. All parts are in stock so it's a go on monday. They have hookup's there so we might drive over sunday and camp out.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
They have hookup's there so we might drive over sunday and camp out.
That works well, especially if you have your toad.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #29

Out of business is right! I own a critical power company, I think that's what makes it so upsetting as our priority is 100% up-time service. I expect the same when I spend my money however; it's not always the case. When our rig sat for months at the dealer (120 miles from the house) I was told by one of the techs that our repairs were behind the prep of each new unit sold. Based on how long they had the Seneca, they must have sold a ton of units! I hope your factory repairs go correctly and quickly, there is hope :-)
Fingers crossed.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #30

Same here with us, auto dealership since 1971. Father in law started it and son's took over when he retired. My husband and I jumped in just as we were getting out of high school. We strive to keep our customers happy as the are the lively hood of any business of this type. You can't keep them happy you will not last long. That is also why my husband has such a hard time waiting and getting all these issues taken care of. Would like to ask if any of you have paint issues? Our's has lots of swirl narks in the paint. Really shows up in the darker colors. My husband's background started in paint and body work so he always see's those sort of flaws very easily. Looks like they washed it with a very dirty/gritty wash brush. When we took it in for repairs I walked the lot looking at another Seneca or two they had and a couple of other brands near them. They all had those paint swirls! I would like to think this us not the norm on such a nicely painted motorhome.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #31

Ours had some swirls but not too bad. I think how good ours looked was because of our selling dealer. The owner told me he had two guys rubbing and waxing it for 3 days. It looked awesome when we picked it up! They spent a 1 1/2 days on our orientation. We camped inside the service building so we could work everything in the unit. They were just fantastic. Unfortunately they are 12 hrs away so we went to the local dealer. (mistake) We will see how it goes monday at the factory.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 AM   #32

Our selling dealer us about 4 1/2 hours away, not a bad drive either. We stayed on their lot over night. Our orientation was 4/5 hours the first day and about 3 the the next of them answering questions we had about a few things after staying in it over night. Service Mgr. called Wednesday and said it was in the body shopped being buffed out. Now the only thing remaining in to see what they are going to do about the flooring.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #33

LSA376... Sounds like my nightmare with a "high-end" Super C from another manufacturer... I will be picking up our new Seneca next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get a good one... If I start seeing numerous issues during my PDI, I'm not going to accept the unit. I don't have the patience for another lemon... Owning a motorhome is supposed to be an enjoyable experience...
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #34

I agree with several comments in this thread, the RV industry in general reminds me of the auto industry in the '70s. I remember buying a new GM product and being told "you'll find several things wrong with it, we suggest you just keep a list and bring it back in a month so we can fix all of them at once." And he was right, there were several issues, including the transfer case going out in the first month... A few years later I bought a Japanese car and was told by the salesman, "You won't find anything wrong with the car, but just in case you do bring it to my attention and I'll make sure it gets taken care of right away." And he was right too, I didn't have a single issue with the car. The flood of high-quality Japanese cars was the wakeup call that Detroit needed..

Unfortunately the RV industry still operates under the model of: crank them out as fast as possible, without any real QA, and let the dealer/owner find the problems and sort them out. You would think that they would look to the auto industry and realize that a good QA system saves money, rather than adds cost. And most importantly a good internal QA system guarantees a much higher quality product.

In fairness to the RV manufacturers, you do get a lot of bang for the money. I am surprised at the prices on a lot of the current models. The only way they can keep the prices so reasonable is to crank them out! Provided we don't have any significant issues on our new Seneca, I will be a very Happy Camper! The Seneca is a beautiful coach and I think Jayco has done a great job with their designs and floorplans...
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #35

Back home with ours. Camped out sunday night at the factory, electric was provided. They brought it in first thing monday morning and we were back on the road by 2 pm with everything fixed. Very professional, prompt service. Could not be happier with the factory service. We do still have to bring it back to have some cosmetic damage done by RV Connection repaired.
While working on the styles below the fridge they dented one of the fridge doors and cracked the wood vent below it. I will never go back there!

Grandpa, drove past the dealer yesterday and saw 2 Seneca's on the lot. Hope it goes well for you! Good luck.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #36

Got some good news. Getting a new floor in our Seneca. Just hoping there will be no issues with this one. Tiles should be in early this week and they said they would get on it as soon as they got them since it has already been there nearly a month. Guess we will see how that goes. They are also installing a hard wired whole house surge protector. Rather have that than one we have to lock down in some way. The wait begins.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JayBirds View Post
Got some good news. Getting a new floor in our Seneca. Just hoping there will be no issues with this one. Tiles should be in early this week and they said they would get on it as soon as they got them since it has already been there nearly a month. Guess we will see how that goes. They are also installing a hard wired whole house surge protector. Rather have that than one we have to lock down in some way. The wait begins.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...all-26214.html
Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #38

Yes Dan that is what we are getting too. New floor almost done going to pick it up early next week. About ready to hit the road to somewhere soon.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #39

Just got back from 20 days and 2500 miles. The ems worked perfectly and caught a low voltage condition when running the a/c. Never would have known so it may have saved the a/c units from damage.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #40

Sorry just getting back to this post, have been busy. The floor underneath our tile was not prepared properly, dealer didn't explain in detail, but from comments about sanding and such it sounds like one final step was skipped before the tile was laid. Everything looks great now, nice and smooth throughout the entire coach. Got new flooring front to back. All other issues were taken care of and we're now getting it ready to hit the road soon. Smiles all around right now!!!