Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Jayco Seneca Wind Noise

Recently purchased a 2019 Jayco Seneca 37K, on a Freightliner S2 chassis. Enjoy many features, performance, ride, handling etc. One annoying problem yet unresolved by dealer... at any speed above 45+ mph there is wind noise from the front of the cab, which increases with speed. Freightliner says the wind noise is from the coach. Contacted Jayco, said they authorized dealer with some suggestions to correct. Only suggestion by the dealer was to cover the mounting holes on the mirror frames for the two mirrors on each side. No difference. Anyone have any suggestions?
TerrenceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrenceB View Post
Recently purchased a 2019 Jayco Seneca 37K, on a Freightliner S2 chassis. Enjoy many features, performance, ride, handling etc. One annoying problem yet unresolved by dealer... at any speed above 45+ mph there is wind noise from the front of the cab, which increases with speed. Freightliner says the wind noise is from the coach. Contacted Jayco, said they authorized dealer with some suggestions to correct. Only suggestion by the dealer was to cover the mounting holes on the mirror frames for the two mirrors on each side. No difference. Anyone have any suggestions?
Congratulations on your unit and welcome!

Several threads on the issue on the forum. Here is one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...fix-67428.html

You might also use the search function and it should bring up several threads.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
SFM

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase. I just picked up my 2019 37 TS. The bolts holes in the mirror mounting bracket are a problem. I have had the coach for 5 days and have put on 1,500 miles. Here are the fixes for the wind noise. Cover a few of the mounting holes with a small piece of black gorilla tape. Drive and test to see if any changes are noticed. Then cover more holes for process of elimination. The biggest noise maker was the hole on top of the mirror bracket. You can cover it with your finger driving down the road at fwy speed and hear the difference. The big culprit was the radio antenna. That thing had a high pitch whistle that was very annoying. While driving reach out your driver window and pull the antenna to the cab and noise goes away. I removed the antenna and covered the holes in the mirrors and there is no wind noise at all. Others have sealed and added weather strips all over the engine compartment and doors. I did not need to go that extreme. If you putting in a trailer brake controller that is a story by itself.
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. I just picked up my 2019 37 TS. The bolts holes in the mirror mounting bracket are a problem. I have had the coach for 5 days and have put on 1,500 miles. Here are the fixes for the wind noise. Cover a few of the mounting holes with a small piece of black gorilla tape. Drive and test to see if any changes are noticed. Then cover more holes for process of elimination. The biggest noise maker was the hole on top of the mirror bracket. You can cover it with your finger driving down the road at fwy speed and hear the difference. The big culprit was the radio antenna. That thing had a high pitch whistle that was very annoying. While driving reach out your driver window and pull the antenna to the cab and noise goes away. I removed the antenna and covered the holes in the mirrors and there is no wind noise at all. Others have sealed and added weather strips all over the engine compartment and doors. I did not need to go that extreme. If you putting in a trailer brake controller that is a story by itself.

I appreciate your comments on wind noise fixes, will try them all. What did you do about replacing the radio antenna?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
SFM

Quote:
I appreciate your comments on wind noise fixes, will try them all. What did you do about replacing the radio antenna?
I have ordered a 4” aluminum universal fit stubby radio antenna from Amazon. When it arrives I will let you know who it works.

My next big concern is the very loud and troubling squeaking coming from the bulkhead and top of cab where the motorhome body meets the Freightliner cab.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
I have ordered a 4” aluminum universal fit stubby radio antenna from Amazon. When it arrives I will let you know who it works.

My next big concern is the very loud and troubling squeaking coming from the bulkhead and top of cab where the motorhome body meets the Freightliner cab.
I had a squeek above my head and it drove me nuts. I pulled the small plastic inserted out above the visor and I could get it to stop by pulling down on the metal framework in the cavity. Rather then taking it back to the dealer i pulled the head liner down, added a few screws, added sound dampening material and foamed in some of the voids just to add some additional sound dampening and insulation properties. In some of the joints i inserted rubber material to allow the unit to flex but not rub. Pain in the .... but worth it. This required pulling up the deck above the cab, pulling the rubber protective piece and dropping the liner. While doing this I also found water on the cab over deck and repaired a leak in the roof seam ( that alone made the project worth it). Very quiet now but do get a squeak now and again on really bumpy roads.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
SFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I had a squeek above my head and it drove me nuts. I pulled the small plastic inserted out above the visor and I could get it to stop by pulling down on the metal framework in the cavity. Rather then taking it back to the dealer i pulled the head liner down, added a few screws, added sound dampening material and foamed in some of the voids just to add some additional sound dampening and insulation properties. In some of the joints i inserted rubber material to allow the unit to flex but not rub. Pain in the .... but worth it. This required pulling up the deck above the cab, pulling the rubber protective piece and dropping the liner. While doing this I also found water on the cab over deck and repaired a leak in the roof seam ( that alone made the project worth it). Very quiet now but do get a squeak now and again on really bumpy roads.
Thanks for the insight to the possible problem. The selling dealer is 350 miles from home. The local Jayco dealer here in Vegas said they won’t touch it. The dealer suggested very strongly to contact the factory directly and have them fix it as most dealer are not equipped or trained properly in structural repairs. Especially since the unit only has 4,000 miles on it.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

If you have a good Independent RV repair shop in your area you can use them for any repairs on your Seneca. You just need to contact Jayco first and get authorization or depending on the repair a quote. I have done this on all repairs needed on ours and worked out fine. If it is a problem with something installed in your coach like an appliance, it is much easier to deal direct with the manufacturer warranty than going through Jayco. Anything minor I just repair myself as it is faster, easier and I know it was fixed right.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #9

Seneca Wind Noise Quieted!!

Quote:

Very much appreciate your comments about solutions for the Seneca wind noise. Did you replace your radio antenna with another antenna? What did you do, recommend?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:

Appreciate your information about the radio antenna, fortunately no noise (yet) from the bulkhead... interested to know how the new antenna works, radio reception, noise... Thanks!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #11
SFM

Antenna came in today. I will put it on and let you know.