Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
Anyone have any thoughts to a place close by I could wait it out? I've heard they give time that is overkill and sometimes 2 weeks turns into a couple days?
There's not much "exciting" around that part of the state. You could head about 30 minutes west and visit the campus of Notre Dame. The College Football Hall of Fame is in downtown South Bend. Shippshewana is fun for a day as well.

If you were wanting to wait it out and make a vacation out of it, I'd head up to St. Joseph or Benton Harbor area. Or even further north. August is an excellent time to visit Michigan's west coast. The beaches are great and the water is at it's warmest. There are small towns up and down the coast line with a very New England feel (to me at least), but with Midwest hospitality It's really quite nice.

Given the time frame, you could even take more time and tour Michigan a little. Head further up the Lake Michigan coast. Check out Ludington and Sleeping Bear dunes. Check out Torch Lake. Head over to Mackinaw. On your way back check out Alpena and the Lake Huron coast

From Middlebury, Michigan is where I would spend my time. Northern Indiana doesn't have a lot to offer. No offense to anyone from Northern Indiana. I have family in the area and have spent a lot of time up there. But I think even the locals would admit they visit the Michigan coast
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #22

Close by Middlebury?
We lived in SW lower MI and these places come to mind...
'Air Zoo' in Kalamazoo, MI (Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum)
Zoo and Aquarium in Indianapolis, IN
RV Hall of Fame and Museum Elkhart, IN
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Close by Middlebury?
We lived in SW lower MI and these places come to mind...
'Air Zoo' in Kalamazoo, MI (Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum)
Zoo and Aquarium in Indianapolis, IN
RV Hall of Fame and Museum Elkhart, IN
pssst... there is no Aquarium in Indy

The zoo has a big tank with dolphins though.

We also have a great children's museum and several other museums. I still recommend Michigan over the 3 hour trip down to Indy
Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #24

Unfortunately we have no time for travel that time of year due to drag racing. We are in the middle of our season in August so by end of week I would have to be back.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #25

I called Jayco this moring about my 5er. Brand new, bought it 7/27. Took it in 10/3, they still have it and almost 14k in labor costs and counting. I hope Jayco can help me. We are SE and bought the 5er as out "time off" with our young boys. Our 4th camper and the only thing ever have ever bought brand new! So discouraging!!!
momofboys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #26

Housing and Auto industry are heavily regulated. The RV industry is a free for all! Its geared towards sales. Techs in the RV industry are paid very little, high turn over and less educated. There is no college for RV techs.

I am amazed that there isn't more accidents and deaths related to RVs. Once there is, the government will step in and the free for all will be over. Then get ready to pay 70k for a 20' TT.

How many service shops do you see out there to fix RVs? Its the sales that keeps dealers open. I look at my shop and think of it as customer service. I keep the customer happy, they will come back. We lose tons of money when fixing your 20 item warranty list.

I am not a owner but a service manager at a dealer. The owner puts money into the inventory not the shop. I want more bays, more techs, more storage for service units. Sadly I don't get it. Tough keeping my customers happy when they do have problems because I have little to work with. I am scheduling in April right now. Only taking our customers. I hate it! At least I dont keep your RV for months. Its my pet peave to have a RV longer than a week. That usually means a return appointment to install parts though.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Jayco offered to pick up my coach for my appointment last year but I opted to bring it myself as I wanted the personal interaction and also the opportunity to inspect all the repairs before it left Middlebury. I set up my Jeep for towing so that I could travel between my home and Indiana for drop off and pickup. Upon arrival we did stay at the Hampton Inn which is directly across the street from Jayco’s main office. Our appointment was for 4 weeks and it took about 10 days to complete. As I mentioned previously, Jayco Motorized CS was awesome.
Agree....I would definitely want to put my eyes on it even though I have heard great things about the service. I will probably stick around a day....let them get an assessment of what its going to take and go from there.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Then how do you explain the string of issues with high-dollar Precepts or Greyhawks that we read about here? Those go for a lot more than your truck — you’re not exactly getting what you pay for. Personally, I’ve been happy with my TT and my dealer, who has been fairly responsive in fixing the few bigger things I can’t. But it doesn’t make sense to say I can be treated poorly because I don’t pay as much per pound as I do for a Ford or Lexus. Heck, even Harbor Freight treats me right if I have a problem with their cheap tools.
Easy, the Precept at $135,000 for 20,000 lbs of raw material is a lot closer in cost per pound to my JayFeather than it is to my Titan. Yes, it is much bigger and much more expensive, but you aren't paying much for engineering and quality. The Precept is still in the class of a Travel Trailer not a Truck when it comes to cost per lb of product. Which is interesting because Jayco paid Ford (or whoever makes the chassis now) the premium for an engineered platform to start from; that leaves even LESS money for the build out of all of the rest of material that goes into the unit.

ETA: Just did the same exercise for the Greyhawk. It does cost more per pound than a Precept or a TT, about half-way between the truck and other RV's. Maybe that's because there is a bit more of the Ford remaining there at the front of the unit. Still a bargain in material costs though.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
All I'm gonna say is wow.....short version we have a list with about 23 problems with everything from the wire conduit being loose to, inverter not holding, to floor damage on the main slide on our new 2018 Seneca 37RB....what would you do....dealer is kind scratching their head because it such a laundry list to include a mouse in the heater duct. Yea he stunk.

Good Morning,

We determined 2 weeks will be needed to complete your repairs, please confirm our next available appointment dates 8/12-8/23 will work.

Danni Knaus

Master Scheduler
Phone: 574-825-0619 ext:3401
Email: Danette_Knaus@Jayco.com
903 S. Main St l Middlebury, IN 46540
Entegra Coach Jayco
We have a 2018 Seneca 37TS and are waiting to put our unit in for a dealer to do a list of repairs. Some of the same repairs were done a year ago at a different dealer. Like the floor damage due to bolts backing out and protruding through the flooring. We have to rely on a dealer because the factory is no an option when you live at Mile 300 of the Alaska Highway!
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post
Welcome to the RV industry. I cannot believe it's been able to go on like this for as long as it has.

Imagine if you bought a new car and had to wait 6 months for warranty repairs? Sure an RV is a luxury item, but we all bought them to use them, not let them sit. I don't know how we, as the consumers, fix this problem. It is not just Jayco.
I figured out an easy foolproof solution a while back.
Make it mandatory that everyone involved in Production, Assembly, and Design. Live in one full time for a Year!
Camper TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #31

It’s nice to hear that Jayco factory not only fixes the issues, but even takes them back for repairs. I’m sure when the Company performs these services they note if these issues can be solved on the production line. It would only make good business sense to be pro active in solving issues.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #32

Batteries dead after storage

After picking up my new Seneca I drove it 600 miles home to park in a warehouse waiting on new spot to plug-in 50 a.m. power after just a week of sitting went back and batteries were dead had the cut off to the coach turned off can imagine if this is an inverter problem a drain from the refrigerator maybe any clueS
okie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #33

Batteries

If your coach is sitting for any period of time I recommend disconnecting the Engine batteries as well as shutting off the coach main switch. Many times it can be the items left on during the storage time that causes the discharge. from radios to lights, fans, electronics, so turn off the main & disconnect the negatives on coach house as well as engine battery as well. It only takes a moment to re-connect and saves lots of headaches.

Tom
2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #34

Batteries on truck chassis were up and started but coach batteries were drawn down so generator needed jumped
Coach battery was shut off
okie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #35

I agree on the poor quality of the Jayco workmanship.

What I would do is document every day that you cannot use your new
RV and while at the factory, DEMAND and extension of the warranty
for all the days you lost.

If they say no, take names and go up the change of command.

Please post results on warranty extension.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #36

A list of 23 problems on a new rig? WOW, and here Im whining about leaky water connectors, and a leaky gas connector at the propane connection. Hope they get them fixed soon.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #37

Seem that there quality control needs worked on before these RV'S leave all departments.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #38

Maybe the U.S. RV industry could use some competition. Everyone worked to produce better products once people found out about Honda and Toyota.

Our little trailer had its share of of faults, some repairable, some needing professional service, and other items added just because it was stupid and cheap to manufacture a trailer without them - like a wobbly propane tank held on by two bolts. Are you kidding me? Yeah, the dealer service guy said we were lucky we got TWO bolts. I'd say in that instance we got screwed. But I had the satisfaction of building an excellent tank holder myself - better than Jayco could do in their six hour build or however long it takes to slap one of these things together.

But all that being said, our experience with Jayco customer service has been very good and surprisingly generous to boot. I have no complaints really and figure that no other manufacturer other than Toyota or Honda would produce anything better. I'll stick with Jayco for now and when a Toyota comes on the market I'll be first in line to check it out.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #39

It's absolutely unacceptable. They know these things are getting slapped together. Yes customer service may be nice and do whatever we ask within reason. They better be. But, but there's no reason why we should be waiting months to get a warranty issue resolved and should even be having the quantity of issues. Sorry, have had my time with jayco and service department. Can't sugar coat it. It sucks. The whole industry.

I think a lot of these could be fixed by the dealers as well. They know that almost every new rig they sell is going to be back in for warranty service. Jayco needs to only sell to dealers that can turn around warranty repairs in under a week. That would make me a lot happier camper!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #40

Warranty service

Do the repairs qualify your Seneca under your states lemon laws? You should check.

Having to wait that long after paying what you did for that model, it is unacceptable to wait that long for repairs.
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote