Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Jayco Service

All I'm gonna say is wow.....short version we have a list with about 23 problems with everything from the wire conduit being loose to, inverter not holding, to floor damage on the main slide on our new 2018 Seneca 37RB....what would you do....dealer is kind scratching their head because it such a laundry list to include a mouse in the heater duct. Yea he stunk.

Good Morning,

We determined 2 weeks will be needed to complete your repairs, please confirm our next available appointment dates 8/12-8/23 will work.

Danni Knaus

Master Scheduler
Phone: 574-825-0619 ext:3401
Email: Danette_Knaus@Jayco.com
903 S. Main St l Middlebury, IN 46540
Entegra Coach Jayco
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #2

Welcome to the RV industry. I cannot believe it's been able to go on like this for as long as it has.

Imagine if you bought a new car and had to wait 6 months for warranty repairs? Sure an RV is a luxury item, but we all bought them to use them, not let them sit. I don't know how we, as the consumers, fix this problem. It is not just Jayco.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Can your dealer fix some of the items so you can use it while you wait to get into the factory? They had us scheduled for 3 weeks last August and we were there for only 4 days. They add time to the schedule in case they have to order parts. They brought our MH out each day when they finished and we stayed in the parking lot at night. They do have electric hookups and a dump station.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #4

Pmcmath, accept the proposed appointment date and take it to the factory. Make sure to get an appointment confirmation email. Jayco CS is awesome. Yes, it will be inconvenient and you will lose this summer’s use unless you live with the issues, but in the end it will be worth it. Document your issues in writing so you can present your list to Jayco when they meet you upon arrival. They will go over everything on your list with you while you are there and again when you go to pick it up. Be professional and respectful and they will treat you the same way. The factory techs only work on Jayco products which is unlike your dealer techs. And don’t be afraid to ask any questions. The tech will answer the question or find someone who can. And arrange for a Jayco Motorized factory tour while you’re there. When you drive your rig off the factory property you will finally be driving the coach you thought you were driving off the dealer lot. Good luck with your coach and let us know how things turn out.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

I just agreed to the August fix date and going to let the dealer fix the small issues for now.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

It is the bean counters more out the door $$$$ let consumer be quality control
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post
Welcome to the RV industry. I cannot believe it's been able to go on like this for as long as it has.

Imagine if you bought a new car and had to wait 6 months for warranty repairs? Sure an RV is a luxury item, but we all bought them to use them, not let them sit. I don't know how we, as the consumers, fix this problem. It is not just Jayco.
As long as we keep buying, nothing will change. We in the RV industry chuckle when we get compared to auto industry
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #8

23 problems is nothing! My personal best was 52 items on a 2018 Pinnacle. 45 of them being minor issues. We had RV for three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
All I'm gonna say is wow.....short version we have a list with about 23 problems with everything from the wire conduit being loose to, inverter not holding, to floor damage on the main slide on our new 2018 Seneca 37RB....what would you do....dealer is kind scratching their head because it such a laundry list to include a mouse in the heater duct. Yea he stunk.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

It stinks to wait that long, but my experience with Jayco is that they will make everything right. Hopefully your dealer can fix things like the inverter and dead mouse and Jayco can fix the bigger things in August. Good luck! Our trailer just turned 4 this month and we LOVE it. Its had some issues to be fixed, but it is a great quality trailer that has given us a LOT of great times with the family. Our newest daughter was born last month and will enjoy her first trip starting in a week and a half!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Welcome to the RV Industry. If the dead mouse is bothersome, take an air-hose and blow it out with air or see of a vacuum cleaner hose will reach far enough to suck it in.
As RVer you have to be handy and innovative, otherwise you have to live with stress and discomfort. The demand makes this industry for sloppy work on long service wait times.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
We in the RV industry chuckle when we get compared to auto industry
Just curious — why is that? Like a car, an RV is the second most expensive purchase most folks will make. The expectation is you are buying a product that is free of defects and ready to use. Sure, there will always be things that break or weren’t built perfectly, but shouldn’t the dealer strive to rectify those as quick as possible— whether it’s a car, RV, plane, or even a house? You are right, though — we buy them knowing these issues, or gambling that the unit WE buy will be one of the lucky ones with no real problems.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

I had issues last year with my 2017 Seneca. The major issue was the screws were backing out from the subflooring and protruding through the linoleum.
Jayco customer service was outstanding in the way they handle everything. That's right they were outstanding!
They scheduled an appointment to come and pick up my Seneca in Houston, Texas and return it back to me with the repairs and changes that I wanted. It was a long list of things and they did an outstanding job with all the repairs and things I asked for.
It will be well worth the headache and lost time for the factory to do the repairs.

Rick
Cypress, TX (outside of Houston)
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #13

Dealers are now discussing with you at purchase what is your Expectations of your RV....????? as long as we line up to buy this crap they will build substandard, badly constructed, low cost components (Lippert) and take your money. As for expectations….you get 10 week wait on parts, canceled trips, 5-6 month service dates and high frustration. Welcome to RV ownership.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Jayco CS is awesome. Yes, it will be inconvenient and you will lose this summer’s use unless you live with the issues, but in the end it will be worth it.
I find this completely contradictory. Most of us didn't buy our RVs to not use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
As long as we keep buying, nothing will change. We in the RV industry chuckle when we get compared to auto industry
Understood. I have certain expectations for customer service. I am very used to working with customers that depend on their vehicles to make a living. Down time is a BIG deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just curious — why is that? Like a car, an RV is the second most expensive purchase most folks will make. The expectation is you are buying a product that is free of defects and ready to use. Sure, there will always be things that break or weren’t built perfectly, but shouldn’t the dealer strive to rectify those as quick as possible— whether it’s a car, RV, plane, or even a house? You are right, though — we buy them knowing these issues, or gambling that the unit WE buy will be one of the lucky ones with no real problems.
This. This is how I see it. Though in reality if you compare an RV to the single most expensive item most of us will purchase you will find the same. I had a house built and dealing with the builder for warranty issues once the paper work was signed was like pulling teeth.

However, I don't agree with the we buy "knowing" comment. I would bet that most people do not understand how slow service is in this industry. In or out of warranty. I would guess most expect it to be very close to their car.

In all my dealings, I would have to say that the RV industry has the absolute worst customer service. They may be nice on the phone, but not being staffed to handle warranty repairs in a reasonable time is poor customer service.

Unfortunately Lemon Law is slightly different for RVs than automobiles. I'm not sure how they define "a reasonable amount of time" in this case. I consider 6 months unreasonable.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Because, you get what you pay for.

My truck list C$60,000 weighs about the same as my trailer list US$30,000. So considering the amount of raw materials employed weigh about the same, the trailer is quiet a bargain per lb. If my trailer listed for about the same as my truck, I would expect the same quality of engineering and construction.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Because, you get what you pay for.

My truck list C$60,000 weighs about the same as my trailer list US$30,000. So considering the amount of raw materials employed weigh about the same, the trailer is quiet a bargain per lb. If my trailer listed for about the same as my truck, I would expect the same quality of engineering and construction.
Then how do you explain the string of issues with high-dollar Precepts or Greyhawks that we read about here? Those go for a lot more than your truck — you’re not exactly getting what you pay for. Personally, I’ve been happy with my TT and my dealer, who has been fairly responsive in fixing the few bigger things I can’t. But it doesn’t make sense to say I can be treated poorly because I don’t pay as much per pound as I do for a Ford or Lexus. Heck, even Harbor Freight treats me right if I have a problem with their cheap tools.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #17

I didnt mean for this to turn into a bash post.....we have reserved our spot in August and I will have it there on the date agreed upon.....I have to take it I guess....12 hours one way...I'll hop a plane home and fly back when it's ready and drive back.

Anyone have any thoughts to a place close by I could wait it out? I've heard they give time that is overkill and sometimes 2 weeks turns into a couple days?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #18

There is a Hampton Inn a couple blocks from Jayco. Like I said in an earlier post, if they can, they'll bring it out every day and you can stay in it in their parking lot. They have a nice lounge with tv, fridge, bathrooms and shower.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #19

The Hampton Inn may be cheaper than a plane flight depending on time there.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcmath View Post
...I have to take it I guess....12 hours one way...I'll hop a plane home and fly back when it's ready and drive back.
Jayco offered to pick up my coach for my appointment last year but I opted to bring it myself as I wanted the personal interaction and also the opportunity to inspect all the repairs before it left Middlebury. I set up my Jeep for towing so that I could travel between my home and Indiana for drop off and pickup. Upon arrival we did stay at the Hampton Inn which is directly across the street from Jayco’s main office. Our appointment was for 4 weeks and it took about 10 days to complete. As I mentioned previously, Jayco Motorized CS was awesome.