Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #1

Jayco vs Entegra vs Forester

I am looking at a Jayco 29MVP, Entegra 29 V and Forester 2861. I like the Jayco/Entegra look, paint and interior. A few question I have is how is the outside storage? Do camping chairs fit? The spaces look small. The Forester has pass through storage, so no issue there.

How are the fronts seats? They look very comfortable. How about the theater recliners?

A few difference I have found Between the two and the Forester, integrated app and center control, WiFi access to the coach through an app, air ride, outdoor kitchen, spare tire, 12 volt frig, integrated controls in one spot.

It appears the controls are “dated” in the Jayco/Entegta random switches, the HVAC controls are basic and old school.

Just looking for input from exiting owners.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
I am looking at a Jayco 29MVP, Entegra 29 V and Forester 2861. I like the Jayco/Entegra look, paint and interior. A few question I have is how is the outside storage? Do camping chairs fit? The spaces look small. The Forester has pass through storage, so no issue there.

How are the fronts seats? They look very comfortable. How about the theater recliners?

A few difference I have found Between the two and the Forester, integrated app and center control, WiFi access to the coach through an app, air ride, outdoor kitchen, spare tire, 12 volt frig, integrated controls in one spot.

It appears the controls are “dated” in the Jayco/Entegta random switches, the HVAC controls are basic and old school.

Just looking for input from exiting owners.
I am a prior Forest River owner. We had the sister to the Forester 2861 which was the Sunseeker 2860.

No such thing as customer support from Forest River. You will not receive the same level of support that is provided by Jayco and Thor for that matter. We were not able to get any type of documentation for the coach such as plumbing diagrams etc... for Forest River. I would say the build is equivalent. The Forest River dories not have air ride even though that is what Firestone calls the air bags. It is simply air helper springs. Yes there was a spare tire on the Sunseeker but they cover (built over) the access to the. spare tire winch. The spare winch cable would have to have been cut to get the tire down.

Forest River did not track ownership so they could not notify folks in the event of recalls. Because of this they did not notify us that our awning was under recall and the result was the awning deploying (extending) while we were driving down the. interstate doing 55 mph. Not an enjoyable moment to say the least. Luckily we were at our exit about 6 miles from home.

We did like the outdoor kitchen and the placement of the. outside TV. The drawback, however, was the kitchen had to be open to view the TV and the TV did not tilt to enable better viewing.

Compare the warranties. One year (Forest River) vs 2 years (Jayco) makes a big difference.

Again, I cannot compare to the Jayco models but that is my experience with the Forester/Sunseeker line.

BTW, don't rule out the Sunseeker. May be sold by a more reputable dealer (they can't sell both) and it could be 5 to 10 K cheaper for the same model. That is why we went with the Sunseeker 2860 over the Forester 2861. And the Sunseeker was 120 miles closer to the house for warranty work.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately where I live the dealers are terrible. I am handy and can do most repairs myself. I have owned a Grayhawk 31FS in the past and was pleased with their response on getting me parts I needed to fix stuff. However the ride was less then ideal so we moved to a 2861. It has been trouble free until a tree fell on it during the storm we had a few weeks ago. It was totaled.

So we have to replace it and I was just looking through our options to see what is out there. We have seen the Entegra a few times, there is a dealer down the street from my house, however not very helpful and their service is terrible.

We do like the outside kitchen, it is unique to the 2861/2860. I also like the upscale command center that allows me to access the coach to control everything. But we do like the look and overall upscale feel of the Entegra, especially the front seats, recliners, body paint and my son loves the front cap window.

There are none of these coaches around me. So that's why I am looking for input on the comfort and outside storage, I see the Entegra storage doesn't pass through so was curious if items like camping chairs fit inside. We carry easy ups that currently fit in the 2861 but would have to go inside with us on the Entegra.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

The 29MV has two large storage compartments in the back, one on each side. Our camping chairs, BBQ grill, etc all fit easily in those compartments. I think the ride of the Jayco is good. I don't think the cab seats are as comfortable as they look. The front headrests are too far forward and they need more lumbar support. We were attracted to the outside kitchen of the 2860/61, but eventually bought the Greyhawk because fit and finish seemed better. We also liked being able to use everything with the slides in. 2860 inside kitchen seemed awkward, especially with the slide in.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
The 29MV has two large storage compartments in the back, one on each side. Our camping chairs, BBQ grill, etc all fit easily in those compartments. I think the ride of the Jayco is good. I don't think the cab seats are as comfortable as they look. The front headrests are too far forward and they need more lumbar support. We were attracted to the outside kitchen of the 2860/61, but eventually bought the Greyhawk because fit and finish seemed better. We also liked being able to use everything with the slides in. 2860 inside kitchen seemed awkward, especially with the slide in.
Thanks for the info! How is the ride overall? We had a 31FS years ago and it wasn't great... I am hoping they improved. We do like the kitchen in the 29V, more usable space. Any warranty issues?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Thanks for the info! How is the ride overall? We had a 31FS years ago and it wasn't great... I am hoping they improved. We do like the kitchen in the 29V, more usable space. Any warranty issues?
I think the ride is very good, but this is our first motorhome so nothing to compare it against. We have not had any warranty issues, but have only had the rig for a couple of months.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

We purchased a redhawk 29xk just over two years ago. Have not driven orhers but ours rides and drives very nice. Just replaced steering stabilizer and adjusted rear Helwig helper springs, and i will be installing larger sway bars and rear track bar next. I have added things like slide topper, auto-leveling jacks (LCI), vent covers, spare wheel and tire with undercarriage mount. At this point by the time i get finished with all the main upgrades i want it will still be at a total cost of under $90k and completely paid for so is working great for us. Also with 7500 towing capacity and starting CCC over 2700#.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote