Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #1

Jensen jrv215n troubleshoot

Hello everyone,

I just bought a really nice 2016 Greyhawk 31FS and I am having trouble with the Jensen head unit. It worked when my father-in-law picked it up for me in Phoenix but now I am only getting a blank display with a pulsating backlight. All fuses are good and when I disconnect the chassis battery the backlight is still on which in my mind means it is running on house battery.

My first thought is the head unit is bad. It sat for a week or so in 110-115 degree heat and I’m not sure if that ambient temp is enough to cook electronics in an enclosed space. I live in Alaska and I left the rig in Montana and in a month my family and I will be cruising in this beast for a year. I didn’t have time to dig in real deep to the problem before I left for home so I’m hoping some of you guys can shed some light on the situation for me.

Also if it is the head unit, would you buy a refurbished 215 or go for the 9000?
Bushrat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

Here are a couple of threads to read:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ild-64024.html
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ent-56136.html

We purchased what was sold as a refurbished unit - that appeared as a new unit (in the threads listed above)

The Jrv215n is actually supplied by both the chassis batteries and the coach batteries in our Seneca. Jayco installed dual-diode power isolater to power the head unit. It is almost easier to pull the fuse on the back of the head unit to remove power from the radio.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #3

Just sent you a note - the only thing that worked for me was pulling the positive cable off BOTH batteries. Disconnecting the unit completely and waiting a couple of minutes.

Reset button was ineffective.
Disconnecting one battery, didn't help.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat907 View Post
Also if it is the head unit, would you buy a refurbished 215 or go for the 9000?

I think about this every time I get in ours.

Me? Neither - I'd go for a Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine or some other double-DIN unit.
I disabled the side view cameras on our 215, so I'd get a unit with only one video input and hook up the rear camera.

I'd *maybe* look for a headunit that played Blu-Ray DVDs, not just standard.
I'd sure as heck get one with a Zone 2 that was easier to figure out.
I'd get one with a better Nav, but 99.9% of the time its Google maps on the phone.

I do like the weather radio - I'd find one with a decent weather alert system...
Old 08-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

I wish that would work for me. I disconnected the head unit and plugged it back in, no change. It’s probably smoked. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Also since I am in a different part of the country than the coach I am probably going to have to buy a refurbed unit cause I won’t have time to rewrite something when we start our trip. Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #7

Good luck - sorry the magic smoke disappeared from yours.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:36 AM   #8

I'm having similar issues where the JRV215N stays on and I either have to disconnect the battery terminal and reconnect or I can use one of those cellphone pins (used to get the card out of the side of the cellphone or needle). I'm tired of doing this and wondering if any of you guys purchased a different name brand that will fit in the slot and have the same (or more) accessories that this darn Jensen radio has?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, greyhawk 31fs, radio replacment, troubleshooting