Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
JOL

Jensen Radio in 2016 Greyhawk Comes On By Itself! DVD Won't Play on TV!

We have had continuing problems with the Jensen dash mount radio/CD/DVD/GPS that came with our class C. First of all, we have yet to be able to watch a full DVD movie on the TV. After having the service department at our dealer go through it and having it work when they demo it at the shop time and time again, we have only been able to get it to work for us briefly before we get a blue screen saying "No Signal" on our TV when we go camping. The DVD is, however, still playing on the Jensen radio screen on the dash and the sound is working through the overhead speakers.

Also, and this is really annoying, the radio will come on all by itself FULL BLAST at will. I know how to turn it off by holding in the power button for 15 seconds or so. It doesn't do it at the same time every time. This morning it came on a 4:00 a.m.! It may go a month or more before it does it again, or it could be a few days. Just random times. The shop has yet been able to solve this. They even once put in a new radio but that didn't help. Both radios have done the same things.

I finally purchased a cheap portable DVD player in order to watch DVD's on our TV, but of course only the TV speakers will work with it which are not the best.

Does anyone know how to solve any of these problems?
JOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOL View Post
After having the service department at our dealer go through it and having it work when they demo it at the shop time and time again, we have only been able to get it to work for us briefly before we get a blue screen saying "No Signal" on our TV when we go camping. The DVD is, however, still playing on the Jensen radio screen on the dash and the sound is working through the overhead speakers.
Our 2016 Jensen is programmed to turn on for weather alerts. But that's the only time it turns itself on. I went thru the menu settings to turn that feature off.

As for the DVD - so it starts working? You can see the movie on the TV and then stops??? Or it never works for you only the dealer?

Do you have two TVs?
If so - is it playing on both?
Any chance the "source" on the TV is changing from AV to something else?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
JOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Our 2016 Jensen is programmed to turn on for weather alerts. But that's the only time it turns itself on. I went thru the menu settings to turn that feature off.

As for the DVD - so it starts working? You can see the movie on the TV and then stops??? Or it never works for you only the dealer?

Do you have two TVs?
If so - is it playing on both?
Any chance the "source" on the TV is changing from AV to something else?
Regarding DVD, yes it will start working and play part of the movie before I get the blue screen on the TV. Once when the dealer was working on it, they said they got it to play on the bedroom TV but were still trying to get the front TV to play. I haven't personally checked the bedroom TV as I don't care if that works or not. As far as the source on the TV, it does not change. The dealer tells me that they have left a movie running the entire length of the movie when I go in to get the RV. I have yet to see an entire movie when we use it camping. In addition to replacing the radio, the dealer has also replaced the cables but it never stays "fixed".

I'll have to check to see how the weather alerts are set on the radio. I just Googled "Jensen radio turning on by itself" and it sounds like there have been numerous problems with that happening with other owners - not just Jayco owners.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

We think the Jensen is just poor quality. Ours randomly freezes requiring a hard reset with a paper clip. Dealer already replaced it once. It is history when the warranty is out!
Kocomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
JOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocomo View Post
We think the Jensen is just poor quality. Ours randomly freezes requiring a hard reset with a paper clip. Dealer already replaced it once. It is history when the warranty is out!
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. Our warranty ends Dec. 31 2018! I think I'll write a letter to Jayco. Have had some good results in doing that with some other problems.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Mine has been coming on randomly since I got the rig. I always the unit in bluetooth mode so it doesn't blast me out. The problem is related to a spike in voltage and I haven't pinned the problem down to any one item. It'll come on if you turn the house 12VDC on or off as the unit changes sources. The problem may also be related to the converter changing charging modes or some such thing. Annoying.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
JOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Mine has been coming on randomly since I got the rig. I always the unit in bluetooth mode so it doesn't blast me out. The problem is related to a spike in voltage and I haven't pinned the problem down to any one item. It'll come on if you turn the house 12VDC on or off as the unit changes sources. The problem may also be related to the converter changing charging modes or some such thing. Annoying.
Thanks for the idea of bluetooth. Would be a good idea when we are camping so the blasted thing doesn't wake us up in the middle of the night.

Tags
come on, dvd, jensen, no signal, radio