Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #1

Just picked it up - now the questions start!

Hello all. Great day in the neighborhood - just picked up our new Redhawk 26XD from Connecticut. I drove it home to Philly (about 300 miles with an overnight stop in the Poconos. No initial problems; keeping my fingers crossed. I have a few questions I need help with (more to follow, I'm sure):
-If I'm parked in my driveway and plug into my home's electrical outlet will I be able to run things without discharging my battery - like opening the slides, running the TV, etc (won't run the AC). Any precautions I need to take before plugging in? If this is do-able, do I plug the XD's cable into our surge suppressor, then plug the surge suppressor into the dogbone, then plug that into our home's outlet?
-Where should I take it for State Inspection? Local mechanic won't do it (too large for their shop).
-Redhawk 26XD's are only equipped with 1 house battery. Anyone familiar with the setup of the XD and where a 2nd battery could be installed? I've had a few positive responses to his question in another thread but I can't figure out where to place it?
We'll be taking our first short trip next week so I'm sure I'll have more newbe question when we return. Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions. John
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #2

John...Congratulations on your new home on wheels! Now the fun begins and memories will be made.

You can plug into your house 110v using adapter on the end of your 30amp rv cord. Remember that your house outlets are usually 15 or 20amp so you don't want to run the high amp stuff in the motorhome like...a/c, hotwater heater, refrigerator. If you need hotwater or the refrigerator I suggest propane unless your on a full 30 amp circuit.

While plugged into your house 110v with a adapter on your 30 amp rv plug you will be charging the coach house battery. You can run slides and tv's lights and anything else 12 volt or small 110v without issue or harm. You can probably run the refrigerator on electric if your not using much of anything else. Again propane is always ok for that.

I think one battery is ok unless you plan to boondock. Even then with running the onan power generator a couple hours everyday you should be fine. Wintertime running the furnace will be the battery killer. I would wait and see how things work before adding a battery. I plan to just replace my factory single with a good AGM when the time comes.

Spend your money on a decent portable solar panel suitcase unit with a controller built in. That will help a bunch when boondocking.

Good luck and safe travels...remember to keep a check on your tire pressures and keep your speed down for safety! 60-65mph seems to be a sweet spot for handling and safe driving these beast.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

How does that 26xd redhawk drive on the highway?
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Thanks Cabinetmaker, your replies are always spot on. With only 1 battery does it make sense to install solar?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Hi Vedder. This is my first RV so I can't compare it to other models but it rides better than I expected. It is a fairly bumpy ride though - I thought the Jride would make it smoother. Good pickup, doesn't wander much, and the braking distance is fine.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #6

QUOTE:
"doesn't wander much"
END QUOTE

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

To the best of my knowledge, Jayco ships these E Series with "too little caster".
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Thanks Cabinetmaker, your replies are always spot on. With only 1 battery does it make sense to install solar?
Yes, I would install solar on a single battery. Just be sure to get a proper controller so not to overcharge.

They make nice portable units that fold up like a suitcase that have built in controllers. These are nice because you can park the rv in the shade and move the solar out away a bit into the sun. They are easy to store when not in use and you don't have to put holes in your roof.

I would look at a good AGM battery if I was to stay single and add the solar. Get the highest rated amp hour that fits your battery slideout tray.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote