Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Cool Just purchased 2018 Jayco 30X - problems

Bathroom door and privacy door not square with door jams. Is this a leveling issue or poor quality? There are so many small quality issues we are dealing with we are not sure if we have a lemon or Jayco has poor quality control or just shabby workmanship. Anyone else buy a new one and then find lots of issues?
jnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelms View Post
Bathroom door and privacy door not square with door jams. Is this a leveling issue or poor quality? There are so many small quality issues we are dealing with we are not sure if we have a lemon or Jayco has poor quality control or just shabby workmanship. Anyone else buy a new one and then find lots of issues?
Sounds like you have a dealer issue...where did you purchase? Yes, the production at Jayco is lacking just like the entire RV industry. What a dealer needs to do is check over the coach really good before delivery and take care of these adjustments and small issues.

Remember, it could have happened during the drive from the factory to the dealer. That trip is a sort of shakedown to reveal things to the dealers that Jayco couldn't see yet because they needed to settle in so to speak. This process will continue with the first few trips you make.

It's also the buyers job to catch these during pre-delivery inspection and make them fix them.

Our 2018 Greyhawk has been one of the only RV's we have owned in the last several years that has not been back to the dealer. I did catch several small things before delivery and they were corrected prior to taking it home.

I think having had several motorhomes and travel trailers over the years helps with expectations. It also helps with catching these little things prior to delivery.

The bathroom door has been mentioned here before. The fix was to shim it on the hinge side and adjust the striker plate. Yes the coach should be level when doing any adjustments.

I would call the dealer and schedule an appointment. Make them a list and take pictures of everything you can find that needs attention.

Down the road things are going to happen as you use the RV. It's a house on wheels and a earthquake rolling down the road. You will need to expect to make some fixes yourself just like you do in your stick house. If you can't don't panic Jayco has a 2 year warranty and after that find you a good mobile RV tech in your area and use them. The motorhome is going to take some scheduled maintenance and repairs periodically.

Good luck and welcome to the circus!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new Greyhawk(? it is a motorhome, correct?) and welcome to the forum.

The door problem may or may not be leveling. Have you leveled your unit and rechecked the doors? More than likely it is a 'fit and finish' item and those have been an issue for some. Demand is so high that, IMO, 'fit and finish' is the first area that is suffers.

When you did your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI), did you point out the problems? Often the dealer will take care of them before you take delivery. Have you taken the unit in for warranty work? We took our TT to Affinity RV in PRESCOTT VALLEY. They were great! It's been a couple of years now, but that location at that time was very professional. They did good work and on schedule.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Congrats on the new 2018 greyhawk 30x. I have the same model. bought it in August 2017. I notice the bathroom door does stick some and seems out of square. I mostly notice it when it is very humid out. Also notice main coach door is a little out of square too. Mostly depends on position of coach when parked. As far as other issues I have to say it has been pretty solid. We are getting ready to travel to Bar Harbor Maine later today. This will be the first real road trip we are taking with it. Most trips have only been a hour or so form home. Great people on the forum here. I have posted several times and received nothing but positive and great advice.

some things I have done to our unit.

-I have had the alignment done. (This is a must) toe and Caster MAJOR Improvement in handling.
-Adjusted the Helwig suspension supporters. (I have seen improvement on handling.)
-Added a stainless steal back splash on the left side to reduce heat issues on the wall.
-A holder for the sink tops.
-Magnetic latches for the exterior cabinets.
-Removed the relay on the front tv outlet so it can be used for the kids while traveling. Not like I can see the tv from the drivers seat.

Strange thing found that filling the fresh tank also fills all plumbing including HWT. Really does not make sense to me but several stated their units do the same.

HATE HATE the Garmin Fusion radio in the 2018 models.

On the wish list:
remove 15,00BTU AC and install 2 11,000 BTU ACs (Absolutely getting done.)
replace Garmin/Fusion head unit.
Installing TPMS system and install valve stems that are easier to check and add air.
Remove the screen on the "screen" door, install plexiglass. This way I can see who is at the door and keep the AC running. I keep the shade on the door down, find it difficult to adjust. The dog will end of tearing it anyway.

Again good to see another 30x on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_0310.jpg   IMG_0313.jpg   IMG_0314.jpg  
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

We had a problem with our bathroom door in our Greyhawk when we were not perfectly level. If the motorhome was not perfectly level, the bathroom door would not stay closed. When we took it in to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce it, because they were in their level garage bay. I ended up moving the strike plate closer to the door jamb and that helped unless the camper was really out of level. We used that as an indicator that we needed to level the camper better.

Small quality issues, I wouldn't worry about them. Fix them yourself. The only reason we took the motorhome into the dealer for the bathroom door was because we also had a problem with the generator.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

Hi folks, just reading and trying to find others with the Greyhawk 30x floor plan and stumbled upon this thread. We took delivery of our 2018 Greyhawk 30x two weeks ago from Dixie RV. Leaving out Friday for a three or four day shakedown cruise!
One of the first things I did was to change the bathroom door to open to front , my wife pointed it out that if we took a shower and forgot to put the front shade up we would be butt naked in front of the world, and if the door opened to front then we would at least be hide behind the bathroom door!
I have a question about the wall big wall slide? It states that if there is an issue with the mechanism that you can manually run the slide in. I found where the motor is located but can not figure out how to get to the shaft to turn it in with a wrench. If anyone has found out where/how to do this manually please let me know.
Gchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

Congratulations on the Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. Our problem is that the entire bathroom wall where the door is located shifts and so,t allow the door to close. Sometimes the problem is the too, other times the bottom.
We have had it into service for the windshield leaking water into the can and the high heat coming in from between the cab and the coach that caused a burn to our pet and requires us to put down and 3 inch pad over the metal strip which covers the joining of the coach and can. I am concerned about a fire due to the fact we jave to keep it covered for our 6 to 7 hour drives. Jayco says a Ford problem and we are waiting to hear from Ford on that issue. On the issue of the bathroom door and privacy door issues theyappear to have no clue why they are that way.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Our Eagle had the same problem.Jayco used green 1x2s that warped once dried out.Dealer replaced under warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

I have a 2009 Greyhawk I have fought the bathroom door for several years, I have shimmed and you name it to that door. Driving down the road it flies open. It has never been square in the jamb. So final solution was a bungee cord now it stays shut. Also use a bungee on the sink cabinet drawers
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

If your talking about your pocket door, it can be adjusted at the top. If you look at the sliders on top, you can use a wrench to to raise one and lower the other, so as to bring it in plumb.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #12

Thank you for the information.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If your talking about your pocket door, it can be adjusted at the top. If you look at the sliders on top, you can use a wrench to to raise one and lower the other, so as to bring it in plumb.
Thank you.