Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

K&N filter for E450 Jayco Greyhawk

Anyone know the correct K&N filter number for a 2018 ford model E450?

Found older model years, but not the new ones.

Thanks
jnunes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #2

What I would like to do is respectfully dissuade you. K&N filters we're made originally for racetrack use only, because they only stop big clods of dirt. They we're never intended for street use, but they made their way there anyway. Many independent test's confirm that silicone(dirt) levels go very high once these are installed. I myself tried one years back in my Dodge diesel. I lived down a dusty road about an 1/8 of a mile. After about a months use, I pulled it an could wipe plenty of dirt up with my finger on the intake, where before it was clean. A clean stock air filter is the better choice IMO opinion.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
What I would like to do is respectfully dissuade you. K&N filters we're made originally for racetrack use only, because they only stop big clods of dirt. They we're never intended for street use, but they made their way there anyway. Many independent test's confirm that silicone(dirt) levels go very high once these are installed. I myself tried one years back in my Dodge diesel. I lived down a dusty road about an 1/8 of a mile. After about a months use, I pulled it an could wipe plenty of dirt up with my finger on the intake, where before it was clean. A clean stock air filter is the better choice IMO opinion.
I agree.Wish I had never installed one on my F350.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

I used them in my mustang gt and Porsche boxster with out any issues. When I started doing 2000+ mile camping road trips in my Boxster, I went to the dry, standard type. It was one less thing to go wrong. If you don't oil them correctly, over oil them, you risk fouling the MAF sensor.
So +1 staying with the standard air filter to eliminate potential problems
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

Had one on my Toyota a few years back...........didn't stay on for long. My mechanic (best friend) told me never to do that again.............stay with the regular filter.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Had one on a Jeep a few years back...all it did was make more noise in the cab and made me clean it more often. The performance gains were minimum if at all.

Like others I would stay with the OEM filter...just not worth it in my experience.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Site Team

I had one on my first Ford PSD diesel and removed it for the same reasons mentioned. It ran better without it and much easier to maintain.

In addition the claimed increase in fuel economy was never realized.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

Race car = fine. I’ll blow my motor from revs before anything else. Stay away from the street car and RV. I don’t feel the need to repeat all the above posts. The ONLY benefit from a K&N filter is at WOT. At all other operating parameters, the performance is less. If that’s how you drive your RV then by all means, put one on. Just like my race car, you will have other problems long before the ones the air filter will cause you. Otherwise, save yourself a boatload of money and stick with the stock paper stuff.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunes22 View Post
Anyone know the correct K&N filter number for a 2018 ford model E450?

Found older model years, but not the new ones.

Thanks
How old for those older models?
I'd be willing to bet a small hamburger that out V-10 hasn't changed that much.

Oh and put me in the "never again" camp for K&N...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

I use them on my twin 454’s in my boat! But, I never had to replace them as I have guys for that!
mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Had one on my last Avalanche since day one and when I traded it in at 145K still did not leak or burn a drop of oil between changes. That same K&N is now in my current Avalanche. Also have them in all my ATV, UTVs including a 2002 Polaris 700 and 2008 Polaris 800 I have had one in since day one and all they do is ride in dirt
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytidi2u View Post
I use them on my twin 454’s in my boat! But, I never had to replace them as I have guys for that!

Out on the water, one does not encounter the dust and dirt that is prevalent on the roads. Some boats come with nothing more than a stone sifter type of mesh air cleaner that doesn’t have any real air filtering qualities.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #13

Yup. Got a point.
mytidi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I would like to second this. I ruined a MAF sensor, Throttle Body, Plugs and catalytic converter with one of these filters on a 5.3L tahoe. They are not worth it on something that won't be regularly torn down, rebuilt and regularly replaced.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #15

I've used them on motorcycles since the change interval is much higher but after reading the combined wisdom on here, I went with the Ford filter and will just change it every oil change, likely 5000 or so miles.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
I've used them on motorcycles since the change interval is much higher but after reading the combined wisdom on here, I went with the Ford filter and will just change it every oil change, likely 5000 or so miles.
And to be clear, on the bikes (and now the Greyhawk), always used synthetic oil as well.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote