Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #61

[QUOTE=RayBo;601603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
We brought 100# of halibut home from Alaska using dry ice in a cooler. It froze it in a couple hours. Great stuff!

Hopefully your cooler was below or stowed outside the inhabited compartment.

We should NEVER use dry ice in an enclosed space that includes humans. Solid CO2 (dry ice) sublimates and creates an oxygen-deficient atmosphere. This means a "suffocation hazard." The worst part is that you won't know that it's making you unconscious. I can think of a few scenarios in which this would be most unfortunate.

Additionally, CO2 in a closed container at any temperature above its sublimation temperature (which is -109.3˚F) is an explosion risk. CO2 expands dramatically in volume with temperature increase.

1 lb. of solid CO2 (size of a peanut butter jar) will expand to (454g * 0.545 liters/gram = 247.6 liters = 8.74 cubic feet, or just under two bales of hay) of space. CO2 is safe, inert and extremely dangerous all at the same time, depending on the use, environment, handling and conditions. Anyone using solid CO2 should take a minute and study a bit.

We use ice "bricks" in our Seneca (4 door fridge/freezer) and charge a bunch of ice bottles at home before leaving. Stacking some in each refrigerator compartment and being diligent about opening/closing doors quickly, we can stay cold with no power for a couple days with only about 10lbs. of ice. (Normally, we use water bottles, so we can drink them later. NOTE: Before you freeze the water bottles, pour out an ounce or two to make room for the 9% thermal expansion of the phase change of water from liquid to solid and keep from breaking bottles.)

Just my 2¢, discounted today to 0¢, so take it for what it's worth.

Wow, I did not know this about dry ice! Thank goodness the cooler was stowed in the bed of a pickup. Reason for using dry ice was how quickly the fish froze. The upper freezer in our rig could not freeze the fish with being packed with so much fish.
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #62

Not sure why people have problem using propane while traveling. It was designed that way.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #63

I leave my propane turned on and travel with it, and turn the fridge to gas when on the road.

The funniest story I have ever heard about propane usage was when a couple told me friends of theirs fire up their oven, throw in a roast, and hit the road, and that way the roast is done when they get to their destination! Not something I'd try!
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #64

Since installing interior frig circulating fan no issues keeping food cold. On the number 8 setting froze pop. And 37 degrees in the doors of model 1210 frig. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Frig Fan 11-14-17.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #65

So we just were delivered yesterday our Rv and the guy at la Mesa rv in Davis told my mother in law who bought it for us it is illegal to run with fridge on. I have owned a class c for years and never heard this before. Is this a new law in commifornia or is this idiot grossly misinforming customers. He didn’t seem knowledgeable and wasn’t even marking thins on our punch list, not a good experience lol. But that will be another thread lol
Dirtracer27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #66

Congratulations on your RV and welcome to the forum.

Driving with the fridge on has been discussed here several times, but this is the FIRST I recall of it being illegal in a state. I'm sure we'll hear from other RVers in CA.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #67

Our experience has been with RV guys @ Gals they cannot even spell RV! Much less describe how one works!Not to mention the techs in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Techs.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote

« Door Lock | Alaska »