Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Keeping food cold on the road?

Hi All,
When we went on longer trips last summer I had the fridge on before the trip then loaded the food into it. However I shut the unit off while we were traveling. As a result our food warmed,and I had some freezer melt, etc. The next trip we used a cooler but upon arrival it was hot and took the fridge a while to get down to temp... I saw a facebook post where someone said they left the fridge propane on while on the road so they didn't have to use a cooler or risk loss of food.

Do people leave their propane on to run the fridge when they travel? Is that safe? We thought that it increased risk of explosion in an accident? Want to be ready next season if it ever warms up here...brrr....I hope to keep the fridge loaded and on ready to go to make leaving easier...

Thanks!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

I'm on my third motorhome and always run the refrigerator on the road. Just make sure you turn it off when refueling!

You'll get varying opinions, I have never had any problems in many years of traveling.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Team

On yes, many of us do. Check out this travel with frig on poll.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-15414.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
PMC

Not a motorhome but ran the propane fridge in our camper 100% of the time while traveling over the last 3 years.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

I for one leave the propane on while traveling except when on the ferry or at a fuel station. If that makes you uncomfortable you can use supplemental cooling from ice bags and frozen food in the fridge during travel.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

Yes, unless there is a tunnel forbidding it, then we pull over and turn it off.

My fridge is on the curb side, so when refueling it is on the opposite side of the pumps from my trucks fuel door. I always use outside lanes when fueling so I'm not concerned about the fridge running in the open air.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #7

While we keep the fridge on, the other thing we did was invest in a premium cooler.

One bag of ice lasts for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

Always on

We never turn off the propane & run the fridge except to refuel or fill propane - haven't found a tunnel that said anything about turning off propane yet & probably won't go on a ferry

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Yes, unless there is a tunnel forbidding it, then we pull over and turn it off.

My fridge is on the curb side, so when refueling it is on the opposite side of the pumps from my trucks fuel door. I always use outside lanes when fueling so I'm not concerned about the fridge running in the open air.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
X2
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #10

I don’t even turn it off when fueling. More important things to worry about in life than the .0000000001% chance that my camper will explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
Hi All,
When we went on longer trips last summer I had the fridge on before the trip then loaded the food into it. However I shut the unit off while we were traveling. As a result our food warmed,and I had some freezer melt, etc. The next trip we used a cooler but upon arrival it was hot and took the fridge a while to get down to temp... I saw a facebook post where someone said they left the fridge propane on while on the road so they didn't have to use a cooler or risk loss of food.

Do people leave their propane on to run the fridge when they travel? Is that safe? We thought that it increased risk of explosion in an accident? Want to be ready next season if it ever warms up here...brrr....I hope to keep the fridge loaded and on ready to go to make leaving easier...

Thanks!
Propane is not gasoline. It is very difficult to get propane to burn, the air/propane mixture where propane will burn is very narrow, about 2.15% to 9.6% mixture, above or below that propane will not ignite. Most of us do leave the propane on when traveling without any issues. When fueling you may want to turn the frig off, but, depending on the situation you may not have to. Again, propane in open air (over 9.6%) will not burn.

One of the joys of RVing is using your Rv and all it's amenities. Refrigerator, toilet showers etc...they are all there to be enjoyed and enhance your Rv excursion.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #12

A motorhome by definition is a self-contained unit. If propane is not an option turn on the generator. That's what's there for.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #13

We leave ours on continuously as well.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #14

The only time I turn mine off is when I'm defrosting the freezer. This is my 8th year full time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We never turn off the propane & run the fridge except to refuel or fill propane - haven't found a tunnel that said anything about turning off propane yet & probably won't go on a ferry
We also keep our propane on all the time when traveling. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia does have a regulation for RV's that the propane must be turned off at the valve prior to making the crossing. They have large pull-offs on each side of the Bridge-Tunnel just for that purpose. There is a section on their website with regulations for Recreational Vehicles.
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #16

Been full timer for eight years now. Never have turned the propane off. Curious about the accident thing. I have forgotten to turn the bottle off when disconnecting. (I like to lift the bottle to see if its totally emptied). Never created a leak then, something in the bottle keeps this from happening? I suppose if a line ruptured downstream from the regulator it could be a problem.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #17

I have the generator running when going down the road. Most of the time, I have all my kids in the back and for some weird reason they are temperature sensitive. Because of this, I have to run my AC or electric heat to keep them happy and since this requires generator, I get the added benefit of my fridge staying on as well.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
We also keep our propane on all the time when traveling. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia does have a regulation for RV's that the propane must be turned off at the valve prior to making the crossing. They have large pull-offs on each side of the Bridge-Tunnel just for that purpose. There is a section on their website with regulations for Recreational Vehicles.
And the Hampton tunnel actually has an inspection lane where they check your tanks to ensure they are off.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #19

If you are uncomfortable traveling with the fridge on get some dry ice for your cooler or put in freezer compartment of the fridge. We traveled from South Louisiana last year with a large cooler full of crawfish, boudin, and other tasty bits all topped with dry ice. When we arrived in Missouri all items in the cooler were frozen solid. They were not frozen when we placed them in the cooler. This was in May and the cooler was just a run of the mill Coleman.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #20

At my PDI, the tech said, “turn fridge on coldest setting one day before leaving. if your travel is 4 hours or less, it will stay cold, anything more than that you can run your propane, but it t will take a lot of gas to do that”
I have found this to be true. Most of my trips are under 4 hours so not an issue for me. I have also read others put some type of Ice Packs in fridge/freezer to help keep it cold while traveling.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote

« Door Lock | Alaska »