Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #1

Kids - don't do this at home! Stupid road trip from Minnesota to KC

So yesterday I decided I just had to make some time. Did the drive from Albert Lea, MN to Kansas City, MO. I had just upgraded my suspension with anti-sway and new bump stops (Sumo Springs) all the way around. So that kept me upright very well. However, as most of you well know, keeping upright will not keep you on the road. The snow in Iowa along with 35 mph cross winds was rough. I felt safe but the amount of stress just doing that kind of driving is hard. Missouri had little snow and the cross wind shifted to a wind coming diagonally at us from the right and front. Much better but still a lot of road holding involved. Had told the spousal unit that we could get off anytime. She was fine with it. Pretty much just collapsed when I got to KC. I won't explain to you why it was important to me to get on the road yesterday. But in hindsight I won't be doing that again. You are all smart enough to know that in advance. I learned it again yesterday. Safe travels.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #2

... glad you made it safely. I think most of us learn that lesson more than once.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

I drove 60 miles to a state park campground next to the Hood Canal in Washington Monday, and the close I got, the more fresh snow I saw on the ground. When I made it to the park, the gates were closed and locked and the ranger was evacuating the campground due to falling trees.

I said to myself "Screw it. I'm going to Arizona".

I made it to southern Washington on I-5, stopped at a rest stop and saw on my computer that Siskyou pass and surrounding areas was getting hit hard by snow, so I'm spending 18 nights at a state park in WA near I-5. Here, it's just raining. Constantly.

I probably won't go to Arizona. I don't mind rain, but after being snowed and iced in at the last state park I was camping at, I just don't want to see any more snow this year. Pulling my TT on snowy roads freaks me out! I don't need the stress, nor an accident on the road.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

Thank you @onthego. You figured it out @smokerbill. My wife had talked me into going to Minnesota for Christmas in the RV to see the relatives. I wanted to get away from winter, like you, in the worst way. I'm sorry you're stuck in the rain. Got away from the snow though!
Old 01-06-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

Was 62 here in the PHX area today

No snow in site

Just saying
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #6

Glad you made it safely. Pre Covid, I drove that stretch and I-90 West of I-35 alot for business trips. There has been a lot of white knuckle driving on those two roads, in rental cars. Personally I think I-90 is way worse in the winter than I-35.

Drive safety and take breaks as needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #7

Thanks @jagiven.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #8

Cmon... Albert Lea -or for that matter any location in the "land of 10,000 lakes(pronounced as 10,000 swamps)" is no place to be driving anything with wheels that touch the earth in January, December or February - I lived in Farmington MN for a while... Regretted that decision every day between Halloween and Easter... and then again between Labor day and Veterans day.

I bet you are really glad you made it out safely!!!!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Was 62 here in the PHX area today

No snow in site

Just saying
Just Saying... We were 65.8 today... At the heart of Route-66!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #10

Hey @slopoke - I get it. At 64 years of age I spent half my life in Minnesota and now half just below the Mason-Dixon Line in Maryland. I miss my homeland. Used to be able handle January and February "up there." Not anymore. Just don't want to do it. Too hard. So I am headed your way. Holed up in Liberal, Kansas, waiting for sun up. Then I push south and west. Best to you.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Just Saying... We were 65.8 today... At the heart of Route-66!
I was in error

It was 69 yesterday, be over 70 today

Sunny and beautiful
Old 01-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #12

hey today the HIGH will be -2F or so with sunshine for that all around good vibe... it's awesomeness
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #13

@Stavman - Yeah, but you're in Phoenix...
Rather have snow.

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Sunshine for me
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #15

Been there, done that...

Having been raised in the NW and spending most my life here minus time spent in tje military, my wife and I traveled to Arizona the last 11 year's. On those occasions when the Oregon and California passes were just plain nasty, we turned off at Grants Pass Oregon and took the Highway to Cresent City Oregon. No snow, no passes to speak of,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I drove 60 miles to a state park campground next to the Hood Canal in Washington Monday, and the close I got, the more fresh snow I saw on the ground. When I made it to the park, the gates were closed and locked and the ranger was evacuating the campground due to falling trees.

I said to myself "Screw it. I'm going to Arizona".

I made it to southern Washington on I-5, stopped at a rest stop and saw on my computer that Siskyou pass and surrounding areas was getting hit hard by snow, so I'm spending 18 nights at a state park in WA near I-5. Here, it's just raining. Constantly.

I probably won't go to Arizona. I don't mind rain, but after being snowed and iced in at the last state park I was camping at, I just don't want to see any more snow this year. Pulling my TT on snowy roads freaks me out! I don't need the stress, nor an accident on the road.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #16

I was in Liberal Ks, in January 2019, they have wind gusts in excess of 70 mph. I lost my 5th wheel there. Drive safe…
Ljmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #17

Last Feb we had a scheduled trip down to sunny Florida for a 2 week stay at Fort DeSoto. We were forecasted here in northeast Arkansas to get UNUSUAL amounts of snow and ice.

We got smart and chose to leave home 3 days early...beat the sleet, so to speak. Reserved two days down at Cane Creek in SE Arkansas, a camp we knew. Got there in 4 hrs...
and THEY got the snow and ice worse than at home. Plus, furnace begins to smell...clogged w dirt daubers I guessed. Well we wouldn't need it in FL. But also ran out of propane. Loaded tanks in pickup to run for refills...and power went out at camp. Slid-skidded into town about 15 miles away, whole region without power. No power, no pump, no propane.
Decided next morning to try to push on south, since more ice on the way. Hooked up and headed east on slick roads, 30 mph max. In two hours, out of ice. Picked a campsite in mid Mississippi an hour off route... but it was a mudhole. Nevertheless, had sewer and 50 amp. Thank God for electric fireplace in unit.
Next day, south to sunny FL. A stop in Alabama. Two days in Ocala FL, then to DeSoto.
Backing into tite site the WRONG way, jack-knifed enough to bump cowling into cab edge of tow vehicle, back truck window exploded.
But 10 beautiful days in FL w daughter and son in law. Caught biggest redfish in kayak, a 10 minute fight in the bay. 31 inches long. A great trip.
Wait!! There's more!!
Departed Sunday am early, came to turnabout, veered right to make easy left curve, SCRUNCH!!! Raked slide cover bracket off by hitting a huge palm curved out over road, outside my mirror venue.
Got home two days later.
STILL, best trip ever. I would do it again. But I'd be smarter this time at spots on the journey.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:08 AM   #18

Winter Is No Joke

Winter is no joke! Where I live, we watch the weather just for local weekend trips because things can change very quickly, and you can get stuck somewhere near home. Also, wind storms are becoming stronger with climate change:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-speeding-up/

This is great for generating wind power (if the turbines hold-up), but makes towing/riding toys a bigger challenge.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #19
JRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
hey today the HIGH will be -2F or so with sunshine for that all around good vibe... it's awesomeness
Keeps the riffraff out, as they say up there.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #20

Last year about this time I was driving from Reno, NV to Salton Sea....which is down by Palm Springs. I have a 32 ft. class c with a 20 foot enclosed trailer. I was watching weather.....I had a small window to get through. I checked NVroads.com and no contols I headed out at 4:30 am and got about 60 miles and I started seeing chain control signs...The roads were fine....so I just figured they forgot to take them down....about 15 more miles and I was driving in a couple inches of snow. I stopped at a gas station in Bridgeport, CA. There was alot of snow everywhere....I realized that NVRoads did not give me California road conditions....there was 75 miles of chain controls... I saw a couple plows go by....I looked at forcast and series of storms were coming in....I had 20 miles of chain controls to go back to Reno...or 30 - 40 miles to get to Bishop and I would be out of snow. I really didn't want to spend a few days in Bishop waiting out the storms. I saw a 5th wheel drive by and decided to go for it. I know the highway patrol would have not been impressed with my decisions. Roads weren't terrible...I cringed everytime I passed a chain control sign. I made sure I kept my speed going up the grades. The Greyhawk did great in the snow....I hope never to be in that situation again. On a side note I spent about $30 bucks at a self service car wash because the motorhome and trailer were just covered in sand and dirt and gravel from the road...it was like an 1/2 thick in some places. I will not make that mistake again.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote