Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Kodiak Chassis & Duramax vs M2 Freightliner Chassis & Cummins

Hi,

As I continue my research, is there an approximate $60,000 difference to consider a newer Seneca or Embark on the Freightliner chassis with the Cummins, vs an older Seneca on the Kodiak chassis with the Duramax?

Thanks.
asolarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

I love the Duramax and Allison in my Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and my brother loves his Kodiak with the Duramax ( not A Seneca ) but he pulls a 45’ Toy hauler - I also love my Seneca with the Cummins and the Allison - the newer Seneca’s with the S2RV chassis have more Horsepower - more torque and the Allison 3000 - so personally I would spend the $60,000 for a 10 year newer unit Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

Personally I would save the money . The depreciation hit is already been absorbed on the kodiac unit.you will find that the duamax cost less to maintain and is easy to drive. If you follow the forums, you will become aware of all the issues freightliner is having with the pollution control systems, leaning complaints, noisy cab complaints and the dual tank filling issues. Your money your call.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

you also should consider if you plan to tow anything...

The Early Seneca's on the Kodiak chassis have a GWR of 22,000 and a GCWR of 26,000#
That was not enough for us tow our toys.

The early Freightliner Seneca's had a 33,000# GCWR and we wanted the extra 7,000# of capacity.

You can go to the Jayco website, look at the bottom link that says "Product Archive" and look up the details of all of the different year specifications.

Even note that there are floorplans that are no longer available in the newer Seneca's too.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #5

It appears to me either chassis and engine combo will suffice, and there is no real advantage to one or the other. I believe it will boil down to the desired amount to spend, floor plan, towing plans, and possibly the use, such as a lot of mountain driving vs. flat-road driving.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Wonder how easy it is to get the kodiak Seneca in for chassis work vs M2?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Our previous motorhome was a Chevrolet G30 chassis with gasoline motor. I could not find any Chevrolet Dealership to work on it, I had to take it to a Auto/4x4 Repair shop. Even the local GMC Truck dealer would not work on it for a safety/emissions certification.

I cant compare many to service we get at Warner Truck Center... they really value the customers time. They get me right in and right out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1172.jpg  

Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

Kodiak repair shop

The kodiak is built on the c5500 truck chassis not a van . The entire hood and fenders tilt forward providing full access to the engine. Any gm shop is familiar with the duramax powertrain.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

It's been forever since I looked at the duramax seneca but be careful of the early years LB7 engine. They eat fuel injectors despite fuel treatments, lift pumps, etc. Ask me how I know.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
This may be an important consideration. Any commercial truck dealer or independent service center that is Cummins certified has easy access to parts and equipment to deal with the B series 5.9L/6.7L Cummins. I'm not sure if the same availability is there for the Duramax outside of GM dealers since not many made it in to service in the commercial medium duty market.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #11

I had the same thought as to maintenance. Being able to go to a truck shop for maintenance was one of the main reasons for looking at the Super C, as we had difficulty when we had our Class A getting people to work on it. I was concerned having to go to a GM dealer and then would they work on the motorhome chassis and engine without a hassle. On the Super C with the Freightliner & Cummins if we are on the road and have an issue, I believe I would be able to get to any truck stop and have it worked on.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolarrv View Post
On the Super C with the Freightliner & Cummins if we are on the road and have an issue, I believe I would be able to get to any truck stop and have it worked on.
While we have not needed to stop at any other Freightliner facility other than our local in-town dealer, They treat us like any other Fleet Vehicle.

I can pull into the service drive at any time, get an express assesment, Scheduled maintenance and inspection in about 2-4 hours. I usually take my work laptop and can work in the Drivers Lounge and be on the road home with my Seneca in under 5 hours. Even with warranty / recall work being done to it, the Seneca has never spent an overnight at Warner Truck Center, they always got the work done that day.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the info