Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Kwikee Power Step Problem

Never had an issue in 2 years with my Kwikee power steps. Today left for a week long trip, steps were working fine when we left. Arrived at the Cape May Ferry 1 hour later to find the steps would not extend, they will not go out! When you open the screen door, the light beneath the steps illuminates, but steps do nothing. No sound like it is trying, just nothing. The ground wire is attached to the frame, and the only fuse I can find underneath (5 amp) is not blown. Looking for some trouble shooting suggestions. I cannot find any 12 volt fuse inside that is marked power steps, and the switch for the power steps is in the on position. All breakers are also un-tripped. This will suck all week with no steps extended...
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #2

My steps quit on our first trip out in 2020 Seneca. Same thing, open door and light would come on and not step. I unplugged the main plug and used the Red wire pin for 12volts and unplugged the motor plug and took jumper wire from 12 volts and another to frame ground and drove the steps out each time on our trip. Reverse leads to drive back in. Got back home and replaced module under step and she works great now.
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #3

Not sure the exact set up on the grey hawk but on the Seneca there is a circuit breaker on the chassis batteries that sometimes pops and has to be reset. The chassis batteries provide the power to the steps and if there is an issue with the chassis batteries the steps can not extend. Try pushing the battery isolation button on the dash if you have one. That might provide power to get them to extend.

If not you can always try taping the motor with a 5 lb sledge or lightly with a small wrench, your choice which one.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

Remember, if the step light is coming on when you open the door then you are getting 12volts to the step and we know the door switch is working.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #5

Here is the wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Kwikee Step Wiring.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Is it magnetic activated by the door, i lost my magnetic 2x

Just tossing ideas out
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #7

Problem solved! Thanks to a couple great tips and a PM from a forum member friend, my steps are now working again. Disconnecting the multi-pin connector beneath the steps (entangled in a mass of bundled wires), blowing it out, and reconnecting it solved the problem. Steps are working again. Thanks so much to everyone for your assistance. This forum is fantastic !!
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 07-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #8

Great news. Always great when someone comes through and saves you a trip to the dealer and saves your trip. Thanks for closing the loop and have a great trip.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #9

Power Steps are not working again! At least this time I was home when it occured.

Washed the RV for an upcoming trip this Sunday. Afterwards, the power steps opened just fine, however, after closing the screen door they only retracted 3/4 of the way then stopped.

I tried the same remedy that worked last time (unplugging the multi-pin connector plug under the steps, waiting a couple minutes, then plugging back in), however, the steps opened once, then again did not fully retract. Now, I get nothing at all. The light beneath still comes on when the screen door is opened, and the on/off power step switch is in the on position.

My warranty just expired on 7-26, so it looks like an RV repairman will be needed. Oh well...... I will post what the repairman finds.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

I had a loose connection at the switch itself

Pulled the cover off.. kinda fiddled with the switch

Covered it back up and it worked fine afterwards
Old 08-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

Lucked out and was able to have a repair guy swing by this afternoon. Determined the motor was apparently bad. He did not have a new motor on his truck, so I told him I would obtain one on my own and complete the repair myself (I paid him a very reasonable service call fee).

Before ordering the new motor on Amazon, I called LCI (who owns Kwikee) to make sure I was ordering the correct motor. Best phone call I ever made! Despite being 1 week out of warranty, LCI is sending me a new motor under warranty at no charge, including next day air! Wow!! Now that is fantastic customer service.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 08-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #12

Congratulations
Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #13

**UPDATE** The problem was in fact correctly diagnosed as the motor by the repairman. Lippert supplied it under warranty, even though my warranty expired 7 days prior. I installed the new motor this afternoon, very easy to do and took less than 15 minutes. Steps are working again! HOORAY and a big shout out to Kwikee (LCI) customer service.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey