Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

kwikee steps stopped working

Greyhawk 06- just brought it home. Steps worked when we viewed it to buy from private owner. Jayco has sat for a while not in use but batteries were charged. After we got home steps stopped working. Same day the battery went really low while we were in it cleaning. Plugged in everything brighter. But steps not working. Yes, light is on under steps.

thanks in advance.
y5

y5raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #2

y5raleigh,

Welcome to the JOF and the Jayco family! Your house battery issue sounds really common. It sounds like the house battery has discharged past the point of no return. You'll probably wind up replacing it. I'm no expert but, there are several experts who frequent these forums that can assist you. Expect "Ole RoyBraddy" (just funnin with you Roy!) to be very helpful.

As far as your kwikee step issue have you checked the electric step switch by the door to see if it's in the OFF position. If off flip it to on and see if that corrects the issue. If I understand it correctly, the steps function off the cranking battery. If that's right, I don't see that the two issues you are having are related.

Hope to see you round the campfire!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5raleigh View Post
Greyhawk 06- just brought it home. Steps worked when we viewed it to buy from private owner. Jayco has sat for a while not in use but batteries were charged. After we got home steps stopped working. Same day the battery went really low while we were in it cleaning. Plugged in everything brighter. But steps not working. Yes, light is on under steps.

thanks in advance.
y5
I have an 05.
Open the battery compartment. Check the battery water level. If it's low, fill with distilled. The Jayco charger will cook batteries if left plugged in for a long period of time. Filling the battery may or may not bring it back to life if it was low.
There is a charge-controller add-on that costs about $30 that will prevent cooking of the battery when plugged in... See my prior posts in this forum.

The steps should work when powered by battery or when plugged in. They don't take that much current. Two things to check:
1) There is a switch that will disable the step with the motor not running. It's typically near the door.
2) A full failure will be indicated by starting the coach. If the steps stay out, you've got a problem.

I think the steps are Kwikee? The motors on these do sometimes burn out and can get stuck. I've seen them fixed by a hammer and on my coaches by removing the motor and seeing if it will run when not connected to the step.
Be careful when working on the steps as you can lose a finger if it's in the wrong place.

If you have to replace the step motor, Kwikee will charge you a fortune. The secret is that the step motor is a common window motor and it can easily be replaced for under $60. You'll need to search the web for the right replacement.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Now the slideout quit. lights are on but no steps and no slideout I can hear the slideout ticking
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

It sounds like you have a current problem. Likely dead batter or dead coverter or both.
Start the motorhome. See if you have more luck with the slide and steps with the coach running. The alternator will provide additional amps.

Do you have a volt meter? Is your battery disconnect engaged?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

update: battery is metering out to 12v so it's charged. Step motor..took the pin out-took the motor off- ran it and now it's running. Can't get the pin back in... Figures something simple. But it should work. So I think the motor seized up. Steps should work once we can get that stupid pin back in.

Now the slideout quit. We did get it started enough to get it pulled back in. (so it did work going out) A couple little dings with the hammer. Lub'd the gears. But now it won't slide out. When I push the button for it to go out I get no sound and no action. Push the button to pull in and I hear a clicking sound.

Any thoughts? Do we need to replace the motor?

Huge bummer since we haven't even had a chance to use the motorhome yet. Worked great with the private seller and stopped as soon as we parked it in our driveway. Seller has been good but it worked for him and for us when we viewed it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

I don't have a lot of answers here. It's been a year since I dealt with kwikee steps, if you take a photo of the "pin" maybe I'll remember. There also may be some youtube videos of the motor install.

Slide: Is there a connector on the motor? The first thing I'd check is for a polarity reversal when you push the "out" button. You know that it goes in, but it sounds like it's not trying to go out. Likely - very likely - this thing is on a relay or solenoid, rather than going straight through a switch with that many amps. Note, a poorly charged battery will impact your ability to get the slide in / out.

The guys on www.irv2.com may have better answers.

If you can get a wire diagram for the slide from Jayco, I may be able to help more...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

I think reading this thread hexed my trip. Close to the last camp, the Kwikee steps on my 2012 31FS stopped working. The light comes on when the door opens, but nothing else. No motornoise clicking, etc. Looked for a loose ground, checked with engine off, engine on, step switch on/off, etc. Nothing brought it back to life.

Unless my 1 year old battery bought the farm recently, it was charging, etc. prior to this trip.

I am assuming it is power thru the chasis battery and no the coach battery, since it had worked with the battery disconnect switched off.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips to share? Oh yeah, I tried kicking them and cussing. They still dont work.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

Just found this: http://www.powergearus.com/diagnostic-videos
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

First, be careful around those steps. Disconnect when working on them, they can take off a finger.
I'd start by pulling the motor. Sometimes the gears get jammed.. Unplug, pull motor, plug back in... See if the motor runs.
If not, check for voltage to the motor. Report back.