Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

kwikee steps stopped working

Greyhawk 06- just brought it home. Steps worked when we viewed it to buy from private owner. Jayco has sat for a while not in use but batteries were charged. After we got home steps stopped working. Same day the battery went really low while we were in it cleaning. Plugged in everything brighter. But steps not working. Yes, light is on under steps.

thanks in advance.
y5
y5raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #2

y5raleigh,

Welcome to the JOF and the Jayco family! Your house battery issue sounds really common. It sounds like the house battery has discharged past the point of no return. You'll probably wind up replacing it. I'm no expert but, there are several experts who frequent these forums that can assist you. Expect "Ole RoyBraddy" (just funnin with you Roy!) to be very helpful.

As far as your kwikee step issue have you checked the electric step switch by the door to see if it's in the OFF position. If off flip it to on and see if that corrects the issue. If I understand it correctly, the steps function off the cranking battery. If that's right, I don't see that the two issues you are having are related.

Hope to see you round the campfire!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5raleigh View Post
Greyhawk 06- just brought it home. Steps worked when we viewed it to buy from private owner. Jayco has sat for a while not in use but batteries were charged. After we got home steps stopped working. Same day the battery went really low while we were in it cleaning. Plugged in everything brighter. But steps not working. Yes, light is on under steps.

thanks in advance.
y5
I have an 05.
Open the battery compartment. Check the battery water level. If it's low, fill with distilled. The Jayco charger will cook batteries if left plugged in for a long period of time. Filling the battery may or may not bring it back to life if it was low.
There is a charge-controller add-on that costs about $30 that will prevent cooking of the battery when plugged in... See my prior posts in this forum.

The steps should work when powered by battery or when plugged in. They don't take that much current. Two things to check:
1) There is a switch that will disable the step with the motor not running. It's typically near the door.
2) A full failure will be indicated by starting the coach. If the steps stay out, you've got a problem.

I think the steps are Kwikee? The motors on these do sometimes burn out and can get stuck. I've seen them fixed by a hammer and on my coaches by removing the motor and seeing if it will run when not connected to the step.
Be careful when working on the steps as you can lose a finger if it's in the wrong place.

If you have to replace the step motor, Kwikee will charge you a fortune. The secret is that the step motor is a common window motor and it can easily be replaced for under $60. You'll need to search the web for the right replacement.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Now the slideout quit. lights are on but no steps and no slideout I can hear the slideout ticking
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

It sounds like you have a current problem. Likely dead batter or dead coverter or both.
Start the motorhome. See if you have more luck with the slide and steps with the coach running. The alternator will provide additional amps.

Do you have a volt meter? Is your battery disconnect engaged?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #6

update: battery is metering out to 12v so it's charged. Step motor..took the pin out-took the motor off- ran it and now it's running. Can't get the pin back in... Figures something simple. But it should work. So I think the motor seized up. Steps should work once we can get that stupid pin back in.

Now the slideout quit. We did get it started enough to get it pulled back in. (so it did work going out) A couple little dings with the hammer. Lub'd the gears. But now it won't slide out. When I push the button for it to go out I get no sound and no action. Push the button to pull in and I hear a clicking sound.

Any thoughts? Do we need to replace the motor?

Huge bummer since we haven't even had a chance to use the motorhome yet. Worked great with the private seller and stopped as soon as we parked it in our driveway. Seller has been good but it worked for him and for us when we viewed it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

I don't have a lot of answers here. It's been a year since I dealt with kwikee steps, if you take a photo of the "pin" maybe I'll remember. There also may be some youtube videos of the motor install.

Slide: Is there a connector on the motor? The first thing I'd check is for a polarity reversal when you push the "out" button. You know that it goes in, but it sounds like it's not trying to go out. Likely - very likely - this thing is on a relay or solenoid, rather than going straight through a switch with that many amps. Note, a poorly charged battery will impact your ability to get the slide in / out.

The guys on www.irv2.com may have better answers.

If you can get a wire diagram for the slide from Jayco, I may be able to help more...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

I think reading this thread hexed my trip. Close to the last camp, the Kwikee steps on my 2012 31FS stopped working. The light comes on when the door opens, but nothing else. No motornoise clicking, etc. Looked for a loose ground, checked with engine off, engine on, step switch on/off, etc. Nothing brought it back to life.

Unless my 1 year old battery bought the farm recently, it was charging, etc. prior to this trip.

I am assuming it is power thru the chasis battery and no the coach battery, since it had worked with the battery disconnect switched off.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips to share? Oh yeah, I tried kicking them and cussing. They still dont work.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Just found this: http://www.powergearus.com/diagnostic-videos
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #10

First, be careful around those steps. Disconnect when working on them, they can take off a finger.
I'd start by pulling the motor. Sometimes the gears get jammed.. Unplug, pull motor, plug back in... See if the motor runs.
If not, check for voltage to the motor. Report back.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #11

I disconnected at the 4-way plug and tested voltages per the troubleshooting guide. I have pleanty of voltage to the steps (12.8v) and other tests were good on the control wires. I took the motor wire loose and did NOT get any voltage going to the motor when opening and closing the door.

I have not pulled the motor, but it wont matter if the motor is not getting juice from the control module.

I pulled the pin and disconnected the linkage to ensur ethe steps were not bound up. They are greased and move freely. Without steps hooked up, the motor still would not move on activation.

I think the control module is bad. One thing I noticed is that, I dont think Jayco could have spliced more wires together for the install.

The cruddy thing is, I dont have a good Jayco Service provider near me. Camping World in Katy has a terrible reputation and I dont trust them.

I am going to contact Jayco and see if they will send me the control modeule.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #12

I am not getting voltage to the motor. I emailed Jayco. As usual, Vihn is more than helpful in getting me info and parts. He is sending me a replacement control unit and sending the motor just in case something fried it too. All he asked is I send all damaged or unused parts back.

Houston has absolutely no decent service centers for Jayco. I dont mind working on things myself and am glad Jayco is open to me doing so. If not, I would be spending a ton of travel dollars and frustration taking it somewhere for service.. Not that I have had too many issues.

I would have preferred the step be fixed by a technician that fixes these all the time...it's probably a really quick swap out for someone familiar with them and that has done more than one...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #13

Just had the same thing happen. Stopped to get gas on our long trip and the steps didn't come out. When we got to our first stop that night, I checked things out. Found the same issue - voltage to the control unit, but no power to the motor. I planned to just unhook the steps and extend them when we got to our destination, but they started working the next day. Have been working ever since. Not sure what to do.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #14

I can tell you this, if you try pulling that pin out with the steps up, it is a booger getting it out. I now have the parts from Jayco to replace the module and motor if required. I am thinking the module is bad, but they sent the motor just in case it somehow shorted out as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

I was really fearful of what it was going to take to get that pin out. The steps seemed to be sucked-up there really tight. Luckily, I didn't need to. I emailed Vinh, so I'll wait and see what he says. Let us know if the module fixes it.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #16

I fixed the problem last night. The module was bad, as expected. The motor was not bad, but it was making more noise than the new unit, so I replaced it as well. When I took the motor out I realized it was in a bind. I dont think banging it with a hammer would have ever released it. I guess the module went out and the motor over travelled or something.

Replacing the module is easy. I only had to make 3 wire splices. I used the heat shrink butt connectors. (they cost about 75 cents each).

I will repeat what everyone else has said. Be very careful when you are putting power back to the stairs and re-connecting the motor. If you hand is in the wrong place you will regret it.

If anyones stairs freeze up, I would say repairing the stairs is something anyone with just a little maechanical skill could replace the parts on.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #17

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
I was really fearful of what it was going to take to get that pin out. The steps seemed to be sucked-up there really tight. Luckily, I didn't need to. I emailed Vinh, so I'll wait and see what he says. Let us know if the module fixes it.
To answer this one, if you find yourself where you need to release the pin from the "steps in" position, you will need a pair of needle nose to pull out the cotter pin. The you will need a punch to knock the pin out. I had to hold the punch with a pair of vise-grip pliars and tap it with a small hammer. Since the steps were in a bind I had to hit it hard to punch the pin out.

I wired the steps up with a few wraps of bailing wire and added a bungee for good measure.

It is meant to be re-assembled in the "steps out" position.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #19

Wanted to add a post to this thread about something I just discovered. There is a 5a fuse behind the drivers side kick panel under the steering wheel. If it is blown, it affects the ignition signal form the chassis to the steps. We blew this fuse and the steps would not retract with the engine being turned on.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #20

Would they retract with the door shut and the step switch in the on position?
Jayco wiring around the chassis leaves a lot to be desired. It's like the stuffed a rats nest up under the kick panel and left all sorts of wires all over the place under the dash... (05 Granite Ridge)