Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

Ladder mounted bike racks

Anyone use a ladder mounted bike rack on their motorhome? I have a 4 bike receiver mounted rack, but need to carry 5. Was thinking of hanging the littlest one from the ladder rack. The ladder on the Greyhawks just doesnt seem that sturdy. It supports my 240 pounds climbing it, but I dont bounce around on it. The bike I would put their is maybe 20-30 pounds.

Any recommendations as to a good ladder mounted rack?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

I have been using a ladder mount rack for a number of years to carry 2 adult bikes and I have found it to be the most stable and troublefree way to carry bikes. I have been using the basic ladder rack available from Camping World or Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-2011-B...sim_sbs_auto_4
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

I've heard too many horror stories about bikes being mounted on RV bumpers and ladders so I wouldn't never do it myself. Do you have any other way to carry bikes? They do make 5 bike carriers. Do you take a vehicle with your MH? Is it possible to get a roof mount carrier?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

I shopped for a 5 bike carrier and could not find one. I bought a 4 bike receiver mounted rack. It works ok, but the post could be a little higher. Care has to be taken when loading them, so i dont block off lights and the wheels dont hang too low. Basically, it's a pain in the back side. Compounding the trouble, hang type racks are not built for girl bikes, which I have 4 of.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I shopped for a 5 bike carrier and could not find one. I bought a 4 bike receiver mounted rack. It works ok, but the post could be a little higher. Care has to be taken when loading them, so i dont block off lights and the wheels dont hang too low. Basically, it's a pain in the back side. Compounding the trouble, hang type racks are not built for girl bikes, which I have 4 of.

Then you didn't look hard enough. :-)

Here are some 5 bike carriers. http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitc...t-5_Bikes.aspx

As for the girls bike problem, they sell bars that attach to the bike to make a temporary top frame so that you can hang the bikes on a typical carrier. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Tension-...s=bike+adapter

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

I guess I shouold edit my post. I shopped for a 5, found it on-line but not locally in stock. Anyone want to buy a 4 bike rack?
I am going to have to get this 5 bike Thule.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

I just bought a 4 bike rack for my fifth wheel. The research i did, thule and yakima were not RV approved. To much bouncing, it says in their manual. I ended up buying a 4 bike swagman rv approved. Built like a tank.
I hope this helps
Old 02-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #8

Anyone with experience with:
1. Using one of the swing away bike racks (Thule or Yakima) mounted in the receiver of their motorhome (Jayco 31SS, or similar? How well does it work, and how good is the road clearance? (26" mountain bikes)
2. Using the similar bike rack only mounted to the hitch receiver on their toad. I have read that manufacturers of these racks do not recommend using them on anything in tow, but they cannot tell me why.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

My 4 bike rack is stationary. The top folds down for when bikes are not on it. It allows the largest bike whels (26") to be about equal to the bottom of the hitch frame. Problem is it extends out 4 bike widths behind, thus lowing your angle when going on inclines. One of these would help (http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...w/MT70070.html ) or a rack with a much higher post. I saw one on a rig once, the center post was longer..