Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Leak

I have a 2020 jayco redhawk 24 B. I’ve taken 2 other camp trips before this 3rd trip. I showered last night and noticed a water leak at the corner next to the left side behind the toilet. It’s not the toilet or bathroom sink. It ran out to the kitchen, at least two soaked towels. It must be from the shower? It’s still under warranty and will take it back to the server Dept at the dealership. Any ideas? It did lightly rain for about an hour but I think it’s the shower. There’s a cut out behind the toilet but nothing feels wet. No caulking in the shower, I guess that’s normal. How do they check? Such a small area.
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
I have a 2020 jayco redhawk 24 B. I’ve taken 2 other camp trips before this 3rd trip. I showered last night and noticed a water leak at the corner next to the left side behind the toilet. It’s not the toilet or bathroom sink. It ran out to the kitchen, at least two soaked towels. It must be from the shower? It’s still under warranty and will take it back to the server Dept at the dealership. Any ideas? It did lightly rain for about an hour but I think it’s the shower. There’s a cut out behind the toilet but nothing feels wet. No caulking in the shower, I guess that’s normal. How do they check? Such a small area.

There should be an inspection panel under your shower. Remove it and look for a drain leak. Many Jayco Shower floors are not supported properly and when the drain area is stepped on, while one is showering, the floor flexes and breaks the PVC drain pipe, which causes a leak. If this is the case with yours, you need to fix the PVC pipe and the floor needs to be supported in the area that is flexing. It is an easy fix, if you are at all handy with wood working tools.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
There should be an inspection panel under your shower. Remove it and look for a drain leak. Many Jayco Shower floors are not supported properly and when the drain area is stepped on, while one is showering, the floor flexes and breaks the PVC drain pipe, which causes a leak. If this is the case with yours, you need to fix the PVC pipe and the floor needs to be supported in the area that is flexing. It is an easy fix, if you are at all handy with wood working tools.
That’s exactly what the service Dept where I bought it said. It’s under warranty so I’ll let them try. I’ll mention to add supports cause it does feel spongy, like I’m going to fall through. I see the little door trap but would you have to remove the pan? Yes for a woman I’m pretty handy and have most tools
Old 07-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

I have an Entegra Odyssey, essentially a Jayco, and took it in for servicing shortly after to have them fix a toilet leak. I also mentioned that the shower flooring was a bit too “spongey” and they added support there as they noted it was insufficient. Seems like a common issue.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I’ll mention to add supports cause it does feel spongy, like I’m going to fall through. I see the little door trap but would you have to remove the pan?
I answered your question in that other thread, but I'll post it here again:

I've had two issues of water leaks in my bathroom. The first one was that the bottom shower track wasn't caulked where it sits on the shower pan inside, and water was leaking under the track and on the floor. I had to put a bead of caulk all along the inside track and up the two side walls to stop it.

The second thing I experienced was the drain fitting under the showerpan broke, and flooded the rig. This was due to crappy support Jayco put in. Do you notice how spongy the shower floor is at the drain fitting? There was limited plywood and support, which caused the fittings to move and crack.

I had to cut open the area where that access panel is, and completely rebuilt the supports and replace the drain fittings.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I also mentioned that the shower flooring was a bit too “spongey” and they added support there as they noted it was insufficient. Seems like a common issue.
Here's what that area looks like, missing the necessary support. This was my rig before I redid the entire area:
Before and After:
Attached Thumbnails
Drain3.jpg   Draindone3.jpg  
Old 07-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Here's what that area looks like, missing the necessary support. This was my rig before I redid the entire area:
Before and After:
Wow great pics! You made a much bigger hole than what was there. I wonder if the service Dept will do that?
Well whatever it takes. Thank you so much
Old 07-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You made a much bigger hole than what was there.
Yeah, there wasn't much choice to get access in there to do all the repairs. I made a bigger access cover plate, to cover the larger hole.

I contacted Jayco, and sent them these pictures of THEIR issues, and how I had to fix them and asked them for some of the wall covering material, so I could match the old cover plate. They blew me off... Nice, huh?
Old 07-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, there wasn't much choice to get access in there to do all the repairs. I made a bigger access cover plate, to cover the larger hole.

I contacted Jayco, and sent them these pictures of THEIR issues, and how I had to fix them and asked them for some of the wall covering material, so I could match the old cover plate. They blew me off... Nice, huh?
That’s awful! Too bad they are like that, guess I’ll make it cute or something
Old 07-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
That’s awful! Too bad they are like that, guess I’ll make it cute or something
I took off the hatch but I don’t know how to send you pics?
Alice.robinson54@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Before and After:
Mine looks like that the top part is crooked and the top part popped off, I can fix this but I where do I get the same part?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Mine looks like that the top part is crooked and the top part popped off, I can fix this but I where do I get the same part?
On mine, Jayco glued the tailpiece to the chrome strainer right to the trap, so there was no way to separate them. That's why I cut out the complete trap, and installed all new: trap and tailpiece. I got all the parts at Home Depot.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #13

Leak

I’m going to Lowe’s tomorrow, closer than Home Depot and I like Lowe’s . Question, when I put it together I know not to use plumbers glue but how about plumbing tape, they have goo everywhere. I want a good seal
Old 07-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

You can use teflon tape on joints with no problem, if it's a threaded connection. That will work. If it's a PVC pipe type connection, you'll need glue.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
You can use teflon tape on joints with no problem, if it's a threaded connection. That will work. If it's a PVC pipe type connection, you'll need glue.
Yep that’s what I figuredClick image for larger version

Name:	63345B99-4394-48B1-9FFD-05B4FE592830.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	61848

Click image for larger version

Name:	46E0BF42-0F87-41DB-8E96-6A968B84A631.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	61849

Name:	651DDC6D-4E9D-424E-B06B-20595F4A8A63.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	61850

Name:	77CE57E7-AD45-4DD0-9B03-84E123778228.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	61851

Name:	421CC147-22B0-4087-8D2F-504B1CB07D0F.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	61852
Old 07-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

That's what broke on mine too, and there's no way fix it, since it's glued to the trap. That's why I cut out that trap, and put in a new one with a conventional tailpiece. This way, if there's any issues, it can be taken back apart.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #17

All fixed
Old 07-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Before and After:
Dang, I had to add supports to the edge of my plywood. The edge of your plywood was on the other side of the shower. That's garbage. Nice fix though.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Dang, I had to add supports to the edge of my plywood. The edge of your plywood was on the other side of the shower. That's garbage. Nice fix though.
You lost me on that. The edge of mine was on the other side? I don't understand.

I made a cardboard template of the missing plywood, then cut a new piece, and glued it in, before adding 3 more supports.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
You lost me on that. The edge of mine was on the other side? I don't understand.

I made a cardboard template of the missing plywood, then cut a new piece, and glued it in, before adding 3 more supports.
I was facetiously exaggerating the shoddy work. Mine was about 1/2 the size of yours and required no plywood.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote