Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

leak under bathtub?

I just went to De-winterize my 1996 Eagle 23 class c motor home.
After filling the water tank I turned on the pump to pressurize the system.
It didn't pressurize and then I discovered water leaking out under the motor home right under the bathtub in the left rear corner of the MH.
My conclusion is that during this winter a water line to the tub had burst.
Of all the places for this to happen this seems like one of the worst.
It looks like I will have to pull the tub out to get under it to fix the line and dry the area out.
I'm hoping someone out there can offer ideas for accessing this area or how to pull the tub out to get to the problem.
Thanks
dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Since nobody is saying anything I'll give it a shot. I had a 96 Eagle also. I would think that first you have to pull the tub surround. Then to pull the tub, if it's like a residential, you need the 2 pronged plumber tool to unscrew the metal drain. Once it's out, remove the tub and the faulty plumbing should be evident. You could make a splice repair using pex. You can buy adapters that will mate pex to other forms of plumbing. To re-attach the surrounds, find an adhesive that works with that material. Bear in mind I've never done this job, perhaps someone who's been there might comment.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Hi
Thanks for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it.
I discovered there is a access cover in the storage compartment that opens to under the bath tub. Thankfully.
There I discovered that the connection to the bathtub fixture on the cold side have broken off. Most likely due to freezing this winter. I fixed that after going back and forth to Home Depot 2 or 3 times. Then I discovered that the U trap under the bathtub was leaking at the seam on the top part of the trap. I tried sealing it with silicone, then fiber glass and only succeeded in slowing it down to a slow drip.
In the end and for the time being, instead of attempting to re-plumb and replace the trap, I just put a plastic coffee container under it to collect the water and will only rarely use the shower.
Oh, well.
Thanks again.
danaharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

But can you plug that cold water line or isolate it? If not, I don't see how you can apply any water pressure in the rig at all. There are pex plugs for lines if you need to go that route. The coffee can will work for the trap as a quick fix, but the cold water line I still think is trouble.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

I did fix the hi pressure cold water line. That wasn't to hard. Just used a Pex to the old gray tube adapter and replaced the fitting and it's all set.
Thanks
Dan
danaharbor is offline   Reply With Quote