Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Leaking water line in difficult location

I am trying to get our RV back into working condition after it sat unused for two years. One of the problems is a break in a water line (PEX) near the base of the shower. After taking off the cover on the wall right behind the shower faucets, I used an inspection camera to find the leak. I could see water spewing from the area where a main line joins the lines coming up to the shower faucets. This junction is just beneath the floor and presents a major problem because of access. I considered cutting and removing a section of bathroom floor, but the shower drain may be right in the way of the hoses. Ideally, if the base of the shower were removed, I think there would be good access. Anyone know what is involved with removing the shower base? Suggestions for another way? Going in through the hall floor next to the bathroom wall is out because the furnace duct is in the way. This is a 2001 Jayco Eagle 28' Class C.
Jayco Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Is the shower over the rear axle? There is a access panel behind/above the tires that is held in by about 12 +/- screws that may give you access.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

Yes! I will remove the panel and check it out. Thanks, Grumpy, for saving me a lot of unnecessary work. By the way, is there such thing as a factory service manual for this RV? I got the schematics from Jayco, but they are kind of sketchy.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Ro View Post
By the way, is there such thing as a factory service manual for this RV?
Unfortunately not.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

There have been times with both wiring and plumbing that it was easier to abandon the existing plumbing and fish new pex - for example instead of having a connection that is hard to reach, run 2 lines from somewhere you can reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
There have been times with both wiring and plumbing that it was easier to abandon the existing plumbing and fish new pex - for example instead of having a connection that is hard to reach, run 2 lines from somewhere you can reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an important point to remember both with plumbing and wiring in RV's. Many times I get myself so focused on _fixing_ when I should be _replacing_ and I fail to see the simple solution....
Old 10-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #7

Thanks, BuddyRay and Rustysocket. I'll keep that in mind. I haven't taken the panel off yet, but I can tell that it's going to be a tight squeeze to get to the leak. A bypass operation might be the best bet depending on what I find.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

I agree with BuddyRay and Rustsocket. I am a pluming and electric contractor, all I do is mobile home service and repair and utility hook ups on them. Many many times we simply replace and a lot of times have to reroute water lines or electric that's been pinched or bent too tight of radius or a screw/nail driven through it.
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

The panel is now off, and I can see the area where the leak was, but it's still going to be a reach because of the rear tires. Those of you who have worked with PEX tubing, do I need a crimper or can I use hose clamps?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Get "shark bite" fittings at Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. They slip on and lock tight.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #11

Update: Rolled inner right rear tire onto boards, used floor jack as safety stabilizer on axle, removed outer right rear tire to get better access to leak. By using garden hose as water source, the culprits were found to be PVC elbows on both hot and cold lines. Both had invisible cracks at the inner seam of the elbow which were spewing streams of water when under pressure. These were then replaced with stouter stuff. Testing showed only a small leak (noted before) in the shower faucet assembly which is easily accessed and will be fixed/replaced. This damage is undoubtedly due to freezing of water left in the low point of the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
1475624907742_IMG_20161004_184239_539.jpg   elbow.jpg  
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #12

Glad you got it all figured out!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #13

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote