Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Leaks in 2016 29mv slide

Hello, new to this and new to owning a motorhome. We're having problems with the slide in the bedroom leaking when it rains. The slide has been in both times, have not had the slide out when it rained yet. I noticed a gap between the top horizontal seal and the side vertical seal. I replaced the top piece with a longer one but that didn't help. It's dripping off of the bottom of both sides of the slide inside, although one side is worse than the other. Coach is level side to side and front to back. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are a long distance to any repair facilities. Thank You
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #2

Leaks are no fun! The slide is adjustable but it should be handled by someone who has experience. You mentioned it’s a 2016 so probably out of warranty. I would call a local mobile RV technician and let them handle it. Mobile RV techs are usually better than even dealers as most have worked for them and got fed up and went out on their own. Ask a local Rv park who they recommend.

Another option is to add a slide topper. We have slide toppers on our 29mvp and have been through some big downpours without the slightest leak.
Attached Thumbnails
04B45AA4-BECB-4188-8CA1-6ECD819D771F.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

we chased a bedroom leak from our slide for 2 years.
It leaked when out or in.
I added a Lippert slide topper with high hopes it would
fix the problem , No luck!!
At least we knew it was not coming from the top of the slide
While looking and spraying with light pressure ,the leak finally showed it self
Water was entering the slide rail on lower rail and running inside.
I called Lippert they said a foam plug should be in place to keep water
out or the rail.
The plug was missing on lower left rail and allowed water to enter
Resealed with Clear seal and now all is dry!!
Hope you can find yours
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

I see that your BR slide is nearly identical to my drivers side BR slide and I had a water leak that was driving me nuts. Leaked when it rained whether the slide was deployed or not. I went over every inch of the top, bottom and both sides trying to figure out how it was getting in. I finally took it to Middlebury for the leaks and other warranty work. Upon arrival when I told them about the leaking slide the technician went directly to the slide and pointed out the sealant gaps in the bottom trim rail. I thought the trim rail function was cosmetic only. Boy was I wrong. Not only do the trim rails support the outside of the slide but they seal the weather (i.e. water) out. So check there first very closely. If you see any gaps in the sealant (check all 4 sides of the slide) then that is the most likely cause. Jayco recommends clear Quad seal for around the slides and it is available at most hardware stores or in RV parts departments. If you can use a caulking gun then it’s an easy DIY. Good luck and let us know when you finally find the fix.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Leaks on 29MV

Thank you for all the great responses, I did some seal work today, replaced the vertical pieces since they seemed to be too short and left a small gap against the top horizontal piece. It got dark on me so I'll test it out tomorrow and let you know what happened. Thank you again.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

Well the seal work I did yesterday didn't work so it's on to the next culprit, I did find a small gap in the outside trim in the bottom of the slide near where most of the water was coming in, going to investigate further and get some clear calk for that bottom piece. The saga continues.......hahaha
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

It may not seem intuitive but the sealant gaps I am referring to are the joints between the outside trim (trim rail) and the wall of the slide. Since the sealant is clear you really have to look closely to see the gaps. When you say you replaced the vertical pieces are you referring to the trim rail? If so, where did you obtain them? Or are you referring to something else?
Old 09-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

I was referring to the rubber bulb seal that compresses against the coach when the slide is pulled in not the trim rail. I also checked the joints of the trim rail where it contacts the slide and found what I would call a gap in the sealant on the bottom horizontal piece of trim. I ordered some of the Quad sealant, will try that when it gets here. We had a rain shower a little while ago and it seems all of the water was on the bottom of the slide almost directly under where I see what looks to me to be a gap in the sealant. I have some butyl tape coming also, thinking of loosening the bottom trim rail if that is possible and getting some sealant in there also and then tightening it back up.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Foam plug?Would you have a picture?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #10

From your description of your leak I will bet a dime to a dollar that your leak will go away when you run the Quad sealant the entire length of the joint between the trim rail and the slide wall. And for good measure do both sides and the top. And also your other slides as well. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

Photos Please!!!

I am suffering similar leaks.... So I would love to see photos to clarify the problems people have found both where the sealant is lacking and what this "Foam Plug" is and where it should be!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can post!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #12

Thanks to all that responded with all the support, I think I have isolated the problem on the slide. I found what appeared to be a gap in the caulking/sealant on the bottom trim panel on the rear slide right where Rice 1951 suggested I look, I put blue painters tape on the area and it went through a fairly heavy rain with NO LEAKS! yea! I have not been able to put the quad sealant on as of yet since we have more rain forecast and I don't know how it would react to being rained on before it has time to cure. I will keep you posted. I'll try to get pictures of the area when I take the tape off. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

I don't have any pictures right now of the area, I have tape on it right now to prevent any leaks as we have rain in the forecast here. The area in question is between the outside slide wall and the bottom piece of trim they put around the outside of the slide wall, sorta like trim around a door. It really didn't look like much of a gap at all but when I put painters tape on the area it stopped the leak. I could take a few with the tape on it if that would help. I also would like to see pictures of the foam plug and where it's located if possible.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

This is what I found, page 7 shows the foam plugs.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...its-Manual.pdf
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #15

I would like to see a pic of the exact location being suggested to add the Quad Caulk as well as a pic of the foam plug.

Please post.

Thanks!

Previously:
Flagstaff MicroLite
Jayco Jay pop-up
Tent.... Several.
Campers for 40 plus years
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #16

This is what I found on location of the foam plugs, I looked at ours on the coach and could not see them. I don't know if you can see them installed.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...its-Manual.pdf The picture shows the blue tape I have on there, the bad spot is over towards the left side from center.
Attached Thumbnails
leak location.jpg  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #17

Lemon...glad to hear you found the culprit. Thanks for the pictures. I would have never expected the outside trim to leak. Rice1951 was right on target!

Something else to keep an eye on. Thanks for following up and sharing your finds.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #18

Thanks for the pic!

Am I correct that you ran a bead of caulk at the joint under where the tape is?

Previously:
Flagstaff MicroLite
Jayco Jay pop-up
Tent.... Several.
Campers for 40 plus years
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Hello, new to this and new to owning a motorhome. We're having problems with the slide in the bedroom leaking when it rains. The slide has been in both times, have not had the slide out when it rained yet. I noticed a gap between the top horizontal seal and the side vertical seal. I replaced the top piece with a longer one but that didn't help. It's dripping off of the bottom of both sides of the slide inside, although one side is worse than the other. Coach is level side to side and front to back. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are a long distance to any repair facilities. Thank You
I have a 2016 29mv also, I purchased it new in August of 2015.. The day I picked it up I had slide out toppers put on, have not had any problems with leaks...
Bankercajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
This is what I found, page 7 shows the foam plugs.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...its-Manual.pdf
Thanks for sharing... Not what I had been picturing at all.

I found my leaks, it was where the seal is connected to the side wall of the RV. So in the gap to the exterior side of the "Bulb" of the seal. The caulking was completely falling apart there so a bead of quad sealant has hopefully resolved my issues.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote