Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
TnK

Learned Something New Today

I was watching YouTube videos about the Sprinter Diesels today and came across this one about the Mercedes system and DEF fluid.
Now I knew it would void e warranty if you mistakenly put Washer fluid in the DEF tank but what I DIDN’T KNOW was that you can’t just go to Walmart or the auto parts store and buy just any DEF.
It seems that Mercedes has fine tuned their system to the point that you need a very specific ratio in the mix.
Obviously if you have an issue this will be one of the first things they check and analyze.
Here’s a link to the short video…

https://youtu.be/8TICWSm7DBM
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Many Sprinters out there including mine living a very happy life running Peak Blue DEF, Walmart SuperTech DEF, truck stop pump DEF, etc. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
TnK

Well I’m not gonna take the chance that something ma6 happen and then have Mercedes’ dealer void my warranty on a technicality.
We practically used up our life’s savings to buy this thing…I’m gonna give it all the tender loving care I can (probably more than I give my wife).
Old 02-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Buy yourself one of these and test a small sample coming out of the jug if you are concerned. I have the identical refractometer and it is very easy to use. I think that you will find that as long as you are using fresh DEF, you will have Zero issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer...7DLDZBS8&psc=1
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #5

Had my 2022 Melbourne in today for a wheel alignment at a MB Sprinter dealer. I asked about which brand of DEF to use and if any void the warranty. I was told and brand is ok and the warranty will NOT be voided.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #6

TnK,
The chassis comes from the factory with a good wheel alignment. Once the RV manufactures add all the weight the alignment is no longer true. A friend learned this the hard way. After 5K miles he needed new tires and an alignment.
I called Jayco and was told under 90 days old and under 2k miles they will pay for the alignment. They gave me a case number. I pay the Sprinter dealer, email the a copy of the invoice with the case number and they send me a check.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
TnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
TnK,
The chassis comes from the factory with a good wheel alignment. Once the RV manufactures add all the weight the alignment is no longer true. A friend learned this the hard way. After 5K miles he needed new tires and an alignment.
I called Jayco and was told under 90 days old and under 2k miles they will pay for the alignment. They gave me a case number. I pay the Sprinter dealer, email the a copy of the invoice with the case number and they send me a check.
I took delivery of mine with over 2k miles (which was the drive out from the Jayco factory). But thanks for the tip…I’ll ask.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnK View Post
I took delivery of mine with over 2k miles (which was the drive out from the Jayco factory). But thanks for the tip…I’ll ask.
You shouldn't have any problem since the warranty starts with the mileage at delivery to the consumer. Applies to all MH's.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:49 PM   #9
RPR

For future reference if you have any warranty issues with items under the Ford warranty the Ford dealer will punch in the vin number and it will show when ownership was transferred from Ford to original purchaser.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote