Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Leaving Inverter on or off???

With the 2016 Seneca having both an Inverter and a generator, I'm trying to understand the value of the reason for the Inverter. Currently, we are sitting in a Corps of Engineers campground on shore power, with the Inverter off. This morning, we had a short power outage. If the Inverter would have been on, the microwave would have just kept right on working, not be interrupted and the clock would not have to be reset. Yes, we have sooo much luxury that it pains us to have to reset the microwave clock. Oh the intensive labor. Really hard to call it camping.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

I am not familiar with the Seneca's inverter, but a Greyhawk inverter will not supply enough power for a microwave. Also, the only outlet in a Greyhawk that is powered by the inverter is the one behind the TV.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. From what I understand our's is suppose to.

So my question is what is the Inverter for? Maybe running a regular TV on a 12 volt battery? Really, I'm not really understanding the reason for the Inverter.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Do you have a residential fridge?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Norty1 asked -'Do you have a residential fridge?"

No. Ours is a 2015 Freightliner with a 2016 Jayco coach. It does not have the residential refrigerator, which is fine with me. It has a big double door RV Norcold, which is 115 volt or 12volt/propane.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #6

The reasoning behind the inverter is even more a mystery in the Greyhawk. It is 1000 watts and it powers the tv receptacle? TV's today are generally under 100 watts. Not real clear what the plan was.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #7

WWachsman,
Well, that's the best answer (or at least the one I agree with most). I just can't figure it out, but I think Jayco thought it sounded cool.

So Guys, with the thought that it is really nothing of a major advantage or disadvantage, what do you think about leaving it on all the time? What can it hurt?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Site Team

I could run down your batteries when the coach is parked.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Norty1 -
Thanks, that is certainly a vote against leaving it on. See this is why I'm asking the questions. I guess I was thinking while we are at a campsite, hooked up to shore power. Like when we experienced the minor power outage yesterday morning. Just trying to figure out some value for it. Really, we are in this unit almost full time. It is either running down the road or hooked up to power or generator running.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #10

Norty1,
That is certainly a vote for not leaving it on. See that's why I asked the question.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #11

It sounds to me like you are confusing a typical RV inverter with an uninterruptable power supply. An uninterruptable power supply is designed to change over power with either no loss of power, or within a cycle band which most equipment can ride through. I doubt that your inverter is designed or intended for that service.

As has been mentioned, the inverter is not capable of supplying your entire coach. It will not stop a power failure from affecting most things you use. As long as you are connected to shore power the inverter likely won't drain your battery system. It will put a constant drain on your batteries when not connected to shore power.

Your inverter is quieter than running a generator. If all you want to do is watch TV using a DVD player, or use some other low power conveniences there may be some advantage in using it.

I don't see much advantage in having it on unless it is needed.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwachsman View Post
The reasoning behind the inverter is even more a mystery in the Greyhawk. It is 1000 watts and it powers the tv receptacle? TV's today are generally under 100 watts. Not real clear what the plan was.
Xantrex dropped the 400 that JAYCO was using. Since they are also using the 1000 in the PINNACLE it was just aa logical move.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #13

rgoldfing

Most people don't run with the geny on so the inverter will allow you to use the micro when in a rest area or even boondocking. There are situations where running the geny 24/7 is not allowed one being some FMCA rallies. You can run it to re-charge batteries etc so the 1800 watt does come in handy.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Your basic sources of 120VAC power are: pedestal, generator, and inverter.
Your basic sources of 12vdc power are: solar, battery, converter 120vac to 12vdc, alternator...maybe a wind device.

A fart converter would be a wonderment.

Each source has its positives and negatives based on your momentary situation.

All we are talking about is alternative sources of power. An inverter basically changes 12vdc to 120vac, providing a bit more 120vac from your batteries if needed. Obviously, it will drain the batteries fairly quickly.

Obviously, you could just use a generator to supply 120vac, but maybe their are times you don't want to use a generator but still use your tv or microwave.

Some tvs are powered by 12vcd.

Like any other piece of equipment, there are levels of quality and functionality (as to its load serving capabilities), and you can assume that your RV comes with an entry level inverter (minimal load serving capabilities) if it is part of your equipment list.

In fact, lots of things are cheap, entry level but get you off the lot until you decide you need more, maybe even an upgrade to your RV as you become experienced and wise up to what you really needed.

Even premium level units include some entry level batteries, converter, etc. to get you off on your first trip until you up-knowledge yourself.

Many people are eventually amazed they need quality power protection devices as an upgrade??? as far as I'm concerned they are necessities. Simple surge protectors are not enough.

Some inverters include a charger for your batteries. A charger will work off of 120vac.

A microwave can be hooked up directly to the inverter.

There really is no mystery to this.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

We use the inverter outlet for watching TV if boondocking. I've also used it to power my CPAP and a small fan overnight.

For any device which draws a lot of current, e.g. a coffee maker or microwave, the single house battery which is standard on a Greyhawk would quickly be drained.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #16

If you've got the inverter already there, and don't mind spending a little money, I'd rerun some wiring, ditch the norcold and put a residential fridge in. Then the inverter would have a good purpose besides a TV. Best move I ever made was going to a residential fridge.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:47 AM   #17

Thought of another use for the inverter, running my CPAP machine!

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #18

Thank you for all the thoughts. I'm sure the use of the inverter will become more apparant as we become more familiar with our Seneca. Very pleased with the Norcold over a residential refrigerator, I guess we like to still think we are sorta camping. But I guess with the inverter we do have that option of changing if that becomes a desire. To each their own.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #19

Inverter is not a UPS. After getting scolded about my H2000 running after genny hours and missing the end of a program I was watching, I decided it was time to install an inverter in my White Hawk. Now once the work of the day/evening is done, the genny is turned off and we run the TV Sat system on the inverter. Next AM the genny is back on for an hour or 2, to top off the batteries and we're good to go for another day.

Large RV inverters with correspondingly large batter banks can be used to run fridges,Mwaves, etc. The typical installed inverter is only for charging phones or powering your entertainment stuff. CPAP is also a good use if you're not on S power.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #20

Only when needed...

We only turn on the 1,000 watt inverter when needed... We use it when traveling to keep the laptop, tablet and cell phones charged. They charge much faster with the 115v from the inverter, than the 12v from the dash USB chargers.

We also use it to power the crock-pot (which sits in the sink while underway), so that dinner is cooking while we're moving, and when we pull in to a rest stop we use it to brew a couple pods of coffee. It's great to have 115v power without having to run the generator.

That being said, the inverter will suck the life out of our single coach battery in a short time, so if the engine isn't running, keep a close eye on the battery condition as shown on the inverter panel.

All in all, it's a real handy thing to have!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote