Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

LED ceiling lights question?

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MVP. How do the ceiling lights come out? We are on our first trip with ours, and I want to get the droppings from the manufacturing that accumulates removed. The owner's manual is of no help. Has anyone had experience with removing them?
Michigan-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

I had to replace some of mine. Try turning the plastic covers counter-clockwise.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I had to replace some of mine. Try turning the plastic covers counter-clockwise.

That is all that he needs to do. I’ve done mine a few times, now, because they keep filling up with the pop corn.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

Yep they will continue to collect Styrofoam for some time. For us we have this between the layers in the skylight too.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Team

When new, we vacuumed them while blowing compressed air in the far end. Still see a few crumbs after 6 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Does anyone know where you can buy these LED lights from to replace?

2017 Greyhawk 31DS
Blue OX Alpha tow bar
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Vergari59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergari59 View Post
I just replaced my old florescent lights (2005 Seneca) with these. 5 Pack RV LED Ceiling Double Dome Light Fixture with ON/OFF Switch Interior Lighting for Car/RV/Trailer/Camper/Boat DC 12V Natural White 4000-4500K 48X2835SMD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0733RQDXL?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
TurnedTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #8

I just replaced my old florescent lights (2005 Seneca) with some from Amazon. I tried to post the link here. However, it seems the forum keeps deleting my post. [emoji848] I'll send it in a dm.
Quote:
TurnedTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #9

Command Electronics
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:

I'm not sure which lights you're looking to replace but for the first batch of overhead LED fixtures, I called Jayco. They sent a half-dozen replacements.

For the second batch of LED overheads that failed, I called the LED mfg company directly. (Removed a fixture, found the name and googled). They sent two replacements.

Yep, I've rewired 8 of the 12 or 16 fixtures in our 2016 31FK.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Interesting...we haven’t had any problems with the overhead LED lights.

Maybe Jayco changed suppliers? I know most companies have stopped sourcing Chinese parts because of problems like this. I know a couple years pack Lippert had a problem with slide motor failures because of China parts.

Seems many companies went through the Chinese junk issues but seem to have worked through it and parts are better now. If you have problems I would definitely let Jayco know.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #12

Telijost

Have a 2018 RBTS and have replaced 8 of 16 and counting (cheap Chinese junk). The old incandescent bulbs from earlier years ago didn't malfunction a much as these do and were easier to install. In that case, it was a matter of just replacing a light bulb and not the entire unit. Not a happy camper when I have to replace another fixture about every other month.

Have gotten replacement lights through Jayco (takes too long to get the replacement parts), Camping world, and Gander Outdoor. These last two, I purchased a better quality light instead of using the warranty because I was getting the same Chinese lights through the warranty program and didn't want to recycle replaced lighting.

On another note, have not had a problem with Styrofoam.
telijostt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #13

LED Ceiling Lights Recalled

I have a 2017 Greyhawk and had problems with the LED ceiling lights. A few went out which is very unusual for an LED light. Being an electronic engineer I was able to repair them. The problem was a bad connection from the wire connections to the board apparently from overheating. I also noticed that some of the plastic mounting tabs for the LED board were melted from heat.

Then I stumbled across something on the net (a wonderful source of information for everything). There had been a recall of RV LED lights just like the ones I had in my motor home. So nice of Jayco to let me know about the recall due to a fire hazzard. Luckily I had stumbled on the info for myself.

I contacted the manufacturer of the lights and sent them a picture of what I had in mine, which were Command Electronics model LS1508. Sure enough these were the ones recalled.

I dealt with Kelli Bonnema at Command Electronics and she was extremely helpful. I DID NOT want Jayco to do the repair as it would have meant my unit would be at their service facility until the cows came home. I asked if they would just send me the assemblies and they were more than happy to. I just told them how many lights I had and they sent me a box full.

Replacing them was fairly easy requiring only Scotchlock connectors, a screwdriver, and pliers to squeeze the Scotchlocks. This is how the original units were attached.

Well I finally replaced all 13 lights which resulted in some sore arms from holding them up for so long but it was worth it.

The replacement procedure was:

1. Unscrew the lens by rotating counter-clockwise.

2. Remove 3 screws holding the light to the ceiling. The assembly will then hang by the wires.

3. Cut the wires going to the light.

4. Remove the old LED insert from the housing by unsnapping it and then snap in the new one.

5. Crimp the new wires to the wire harness in the ceiling where you cut the old wires from.

6. Screw the assembly to the ceiling and put the lens back in place.

Turn on the light.

I feel safer knowing my motor home won't burn to the ground due to overheating lights.

I have attached a picture of the defective LED assembly.

Here is a link to the recall article:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ts-082317.html

The manufacturer link is:

Command Electronics

Kelli's email, provided she is still there, is:

kelli@commandelectronics.com
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG2038.jpg  
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #14

Thanks JimD that is great information.
As far as I’m concerned LED’s have a long testing still ahead. All coach manufacturers have had issues with them and I’m hoping the future LED’s get better. We had a 2015 Tiffin Bus with almost eighty lights in it and had to replace quite a few of them. Luckily they stood strongly behind their product and without hesitation they shipped as many as needed.
I think we’ve all been duped by the Chinese manufacturers and the lack of long term testing of LED’s before jumping into them.
They do save energy but at what cost?
Thank you again for including this information. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Replacing them was fairly easy requiring only Scotchlock connectors, a screwdriver, and pliers to squeeze the Scotchlocks. This is how the original units were attached.
Can you post the amazon link for the Scotchlok connectors you used?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #16
Site Team

We have a section on recalls, all grouped into one forum.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f39/

The LED issue was posted in 2017.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #17

Scotchlock

I prefer the 3M Scotchlock because they are better quality than the others I have tried. Working for 3M for 26 years, I was able to get them free for my work so got used to using ones that would work.

I buy just about everything these days through Amazon.com which is where I get my stock. You probably can use either the red ones or the blue ones. The color picks the wire size you are working with. I have both but don't remember which color I ended up using. Probably red as these are the ones I use most of the time.

Search Amazon for Scotchlock and you will get pages of options.
Attached Thumbnails
Scotchlock.JPG  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I prefer the 3M Scotchlock because they are better quality than the others I have tried. Working for 3M for 26 years, I was able to get them free for my work so got used to using ones that would work.

I buy just about everything these days through Amazon.com which is where I get my stock. You probably can use either the red ones or the blue ones. The color picks the wire size you are working with. I have both but don't remember which color I ended up using. Probably red as these are the ones I use most of the time.

Search Amazon for Scotchlock and you will get pages of options.
Ah see? I was looking at the other connectors where the wire came in on both sides.

Butt Connector

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #19

Butt Connectors

The butt connectors will work but they will require you to strip the wire ends. Scotchlocks just clamp over the wires without stripping. It is all personal preference. Just make sure to get a good brand of butt connector as I have purchased some cheap (non-3M) ones and was able to pull the wire out of the crimp. I even was using a decent ratcheting crimper.

If you go the butt route (there must be a joke in there somewhere), tug the wires after crimping to test the strength of the crimp. You DO NOT want an iffy crimp up in your ceiling.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #20

Did you ever find replacement LED lights because I sure annot.
egloor is offline   Reply With Quote