Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Level Jacks Question

Power jacks...do you use the "Auto Level" or "Manual"?

I have found that auto tends to raise the motorhome higher and sometimes a front wheel comes off the ground.

I started using the manual setting and it seems to work much better. I can keep the wheels on the ground or at least raise more then put blocks under the wheel and lower back to level. (only on front tires...never lift rear tires off the ground!!)

Wondering what you guys do?

I hate seeing RV's with the wheels lifted. Just looks unsafe to me. I won't park across from someone doing that but nicely ask for a different spot.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #2

For your particular leveling system there should be a procedure to "reprogram" the system to a new level point. If you don't have it in your pack of information you can likely find it at the leveler manufacturer's website. The procedure will probably require an accurate bubble level and many level at the refrigerator since absorption models need to be level to prevent damage. This will set a new "zero point" and the automatic should take it there after that.

My last unit had an HWH system and it needed this calibration about every six months. I think our rough roads would knock it out of calibration! Your unit likely has a different system but all systems I have seen have some way to set a zero point.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #3

The jacks are designed to lift the coach. I'm not sure why you think it is unsafe?

If the system wants to lift wheels, you are on a pretty decent slope. The system is only trying to do its job. If you find that during the auto level process the coach isn't actually level; go read the owners manual for the procedure to reset the 0 position so it will level properly.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #4

I use the manual mode and rely the level mate pro I installed for level indicators. Works well and I can control if the wheels are off the ground or not. Sometimes you have to lift them off if its really uneven. The jacks are made to lift the unit just need to be careful on really uneven areas. Use your judgement and go slow. if you start to see any sliding movement then stop and move to another location.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #5

Level Jacks Question

I have a 2018 Seneca and I do what many Seneca owners do if they have rear air ride. They lift the rear end up manually to get the air to bleed out of the bags they then raise the jacks and relevel using auto level. This pre level lowers the rear end by several inches thus the front doesn’t have to raise as much. Some have installed air dump valves to make this process simpler. Not sure what unit you have so it might not be applicable to you.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

My Jayco Greyhawk 29MV came with Equalizer Stabilization system. They say not to lift a wheel off the ground at any time....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

Our Eagle 321 RSTS fiver auto level is thing I love the most! Just need about 6" of blocks under rear jacks will auto level almost any where.Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

I have a 29MV with Equalizer as well, like Boudreaux, and have read/heard the same about not lifting the wheels , but I also have heard if they do lift off the ground, you can raise a little more, and put blocks/boards, etc under the raised tires, and lower them back down. I was told just not to leave them off the ground for extended times.

Have I heard incorrectly?

As far as the OP question, I plan on using the AUTO as often as I can, and block when necessary. (Plan I say, as I have YET to go anywhere yet. Hopefully this weekend!!)
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

I am uncomfortable with the wheels lifting off the ground so I level manually. I have not dumped the rear airbags by raising the rear but I will try that technique. If the stop is just an overnight only the bedroom slide goes out and I don't level.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #10

I had a severely un-level site in the tetons, last year. I went a bit past having the front level and cribbed it with blocks to take up some of the weight. I know the jacks "will" lift my rig, but I definitely don't like it doing so if it isn't a necessity.
Attached Thumbnails
0530170952_HDR.jpg  
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #11

We used the auto level this time and it worked fine. I think the problem may be that in auto for the hydraulic to work the cylinders only add never lower while trying to find level. So if it goes past a little then the other legs have to raise more again to compensate. Using manual instead of auto avoids this. Just a theory but knowing how hydraulic cylinders work I bet this is the issue. On mostly level ground I will continue to use the auto level. On more uneven sites I will manual adjust

Thanks for all the replies. Some good food for thought from your personal experiences is appreciated!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
MD3

^^^ this is exactly what we noticed on our last outing.
The leveling legs keep lifting to find level but never lower to find level. We tried auto leveling numerous times but it kept lifting the rear wheels off the ground. We gave up and did the manual leveling without lifting any wheels.

Very frustrating when my old 2007 class A could level correctly first time every time and this new coach is a hassle almost every time leveling.
Anyone ever change to a different leveling system ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We used the auto level this time and it worked fine. I think the problem may be that in auto for the hydraulic to work the cylinders only add never lower while trying to find level. So if it goes past a little then the other legs have to raise more again to compensate. Using manual instead of auto avoids this. Just a theory but knowing how hydraulic cylinders work I bet this is the issue. On mostly level ground I will continue to use the auto level. On more uneven sites I will manual adjust

Thanks for all the replies. Some good food for thought from your personal experiences is appreciated!
I find this to be true with my Eagle 321 RSTS 5er (electric). On uneven ground, it is much easier to manually adjust the jacks. On level ground, auto-level for sure.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #14

I sometimes have to use the manual level function, on my bigfoot system, if I can't get a decent level on the rig when parked. Most of the time if my "fish eye" bubble level is 90% or better, in the middle ring, the auto level function works fine. One time I needed to use leveller boards under the front wheels to level up the rig enough to use auto level and not have the front wheels off the ground.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:21 AM   #15

While some of the reason the manufacturer states not to lift the unit off the ground might be for liability reasons. I think the real issue is the lateral stability of the jacks. The hydraulic pistons have no issues lifting the unit but the wheels hold the unit in place. If you raise the rear wheels you have no brakes and all that force is transferred to the pistons and brackets. If you are lifting the unit high enough to lift the wheels you have a long lever that transfers that weight to the brackets and frame in unknown forces. Picking the unit off the ground on a level site is probably much safer than doing the same thing on a uneven surface. Invest in a good set of wheel chalks to add a safety factor to prevent the unit from moving if lifting too much weight off the back.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #16

Wheels off the ground don't look safe. This was last year by someone a few sites from us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0807171019a.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	38700
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
Wheels off the ground don't look safe. This was last year by someone a few sites from us.
Attachment 38700
Kozmo that is just plain crazy! Yep...you see it all over time. Some campsites just are not safe to level a Motorhome. Maybe a trailer or 5er but not a Motorhome where the wheels are lifted like that!