Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

Level mate pro question

Was thinking on purchasing the level mate pro. I was first wondering I already have auto levelers on my MH . Can I just level my MH with them then install the lev mate pro and calibrate that way? Or should I just not purchase it and just use the auto levelers on the MH? Not sure which way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

I don't understand why you'd need level mate if you have auto levelers?

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #3

Well some parks are not to level, and sometimes when you try to level you can raise your wheels off the ground which is not good at all. This way you can put something under your wheels to adjust so you do not have this issue or you could roll back or forward and bend your levelers or break them off.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #4

The auto-levelers in my experience are somewhat unreliable. I've zeroed mine a few times, and it's still not quite right. So I end up going into "manual mode" to get it just right. I just use a small torpedo level though.

To answer OP's question, you will level your rig with the levelers no matter what. If auto-level has been working well for you, there's no reason to add the Level Mate.

If you do add it, it might be good to use the auto level to get it close, then tweak manually until your Level Mate is happy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

I mounted a T level between the cup holders on the engine cover, which is level with the MH. That works very well as you can eyeball the level as you drive around. It was much cheaper than the LevelMate There is also a very nice Android app that shows essentially the same info the levelmate does and tells you how much needed to level. You just need to do a little math, but also works while moving.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #6

I would not trust the leveler automatic settings to set up the LevelPro, I have had to reset ours 3 times in 2 years now. I would manually level it and then set. I looked at the LevelPro but decided to try the Camco EZ level. I use it in our Seneca to pre-level by moving the coach around as needed. Usually as we are headed to our spot the DW will get it out and set it on the floor and being a motorhome, I can just turn and watch it. Very happy with it , it’s so simple to use and now have friends borrowing it

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

The level mate pro allows me to see how many blocks I’m going to need to put under my tires before I even go to deploy my levelers. Unless I’m on a premium site, I always need to put blocks under my tires before I deploy my levelers. This tool allows me to see how many I need, which makes setting up when I arrive a lot easier and faster. The level mate pro is one of my favorite tools/mods that I’ve ever used on an RV and I would buy another one in a heartbeat if mine failed.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #8

Thank you. How did you set it up? Did you use your auto levelers?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Thank you. How did you set it up? Did you use your auto levelers?
3’ beam level. Old school. I put it on the floor right in front of the fridge. I put my levelers on calibrate and set about leveling manually side to side and front to back. Once I’m satisfied with what the beam level is telling me, I set the both the auto leveler’s and Level Mate’s set point.

Done and done.

FWIW I never use ‘Auto Level’ even though I do set the level on the panel. W/ the Level Mate I always level out manually. It works out better that way.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
3’ beam level. Old school. I put it on the floor right in front of the fridge. I put my levelers on calibrate and set about leveling manually side to side and front to back. Once I’m satisfied with what the beam level is telling me, I set the both the auto leveler’s and Level Mate’s set point.

Done and done.

FWIW I never use ‘Auto Level’ even though I do set the level on the panel. W/ the Level Mate I always level out manually. It works out better that way.
Thank you. I not sure but either I have an issue with my auto levels manually. I put my snap pads on did the first one on the driver's side, then tried the front passenger side and the back passenger went down. Then the front one would come down finally. Not sure why but it would only work in that order. Do I have an issue or is it that the way it is supposed to be?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #11

I have the Level Mate Pro without auto levelers and love it. With that said, before I got LMP I used the “iWomoset” app and/or the Truma app (leveling in the tools section) that are free or cheap that will let you know how many inches each wheel needs to be raised to get level. You do need a flat surface to lay your phone on though. With the Level Mate Pro it doesn’t matter where your phone is. If I had auto levelers I wouldn’t be as concerned with the fewest number of blocks to drag out. So getting out of the seat to look at the phone or twisting around to check the phone laying on the floor behind me wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I would position the MH in the what I think is the best position and then check to see if I would need to put blocks under the levelers. Like I said I don’t have auto levelers but that is the way I would see me doing it if I did. Can’t go wrong with LMP though if cost is not an issue.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
The level mate pro allows me to see how many blocks I’m going to need to put under my tires before I even go to deploy my levelers. Unless I’m on a premium site, I always need to put blocks under my tires before I deploy my levelers. This tool allows me to see how many I need, which makes setting up when I arrive a lot easier and faster. The level mate pro is one of my favorite tools/mods that I’ve ever used on an RV and I would buy another one in a heartbeat if mine failed.
Do you think the Level Mate Pro would be a good addition to my rig? I don't have levelers, my levelers consist of two bags of Lynx lego blocks. Once I pull in, I go out and walk around the rig to eyeball how many blocks I think I will need at each wheel.

Then, I sit back with a beer and instruct wifey which wheels to put them at. Once she's done, I pull the rig up on them. Usually, the rig seems pretty close to level, but I don't put a manual level on it.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #13

If you use your fridge yes you need to be level so you don't make your fridge work harder and you don't twist your frame . Not sure if anyone told you this but if the fridge is not close to being level it will not last long at all.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

From all my years of work, I've got a good eye for "level", so once I determine how many blocks I need, it's pretty close, within a inch.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
From all my years of work, I've got a good eye for "level", so once I determine how many blocks I need, it's pretty close, within a inch.
Are you using ones made for duals or doubling up the single blocks. I have one set of single wide, trying to decide if I need a set of the doubles.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #16

I’ve got 1 set of doubles for the rear tires.

The LevelMate Pro will tell you how many inches you’re off on any tire. Since 1 block is 1”, it makes the guestimating much better.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Your previous post you said you don’t ever use a level so how do you know you are within an inch?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Are you using ones made for duals or doubling up the single blocks. I have one set of single wide, trying to decide if I need a set of the doubles.
I have the singles, so it takes two separate stacks on the low side in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Your previous post you said you don’t ever use a level so how do you know you are within an inch?
Like I said, I have a good eye and can tell how unlevel it is when walking in the rig and looking at it externally. I did check it once with a level, just to confirm. I don't use a level each time I park.

My biggest issue is pre-calculating how much sag there will be when I send out this big slide. It changes the level by almost 1-1/2", due to the cantilever.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
If you use your fridge yes you need to be level so you don't make your fridge work harder and you don't twist your frame . Not sure if anyone told you this but if the fridge is not close to being level it will not last long at all.
The fridge can tolerate up to 3 degrees out of level one direction and 6 degrees the other. If you're that far out of level, and you don't know it, you need to put down the bottle.

I too can get my rig almost exactly level (as proven with a physical level, the old fashioned way) by feel alone. I still use a level anyway though. Drives my wife nuts. I'll use the "auto level", take a lap inside the MH, and go back to the panel to adjust manually using my level. She doesn't notice, but I'm SUPER picky about it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #20

Get the LevelPro. Of all my after market add-ons for my RV (and there are many) it’s in my Top 3.

What makes it so useful is that you can use the curved Anderson levelers, sit in the truck and pull forward until it shows level. Then I chock, disconnect the hitch and Look at the app on my phone while I raise/lower the tongue jack accordingly. In five minutes I’m totally level. Couldn’t be easier.

It also lets you store the hitch height so that after you disconnect and level, you know how high to raise the hitch to reconnect to your TV. Not a huge advantage, but another neat feature.

There are also a lot of other benefits to being dead level- water drains properly in sink and shower, rain runs off evenly, stiff less likely to fall out of cabinets, sleep better, fridge needs to be level, holding tanks read accurately because water is level, etc etc. Get one and you won’t regret it.

Rocky
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote