Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #1

Leveler and step problem

My 2020 Greyhawk showed low voltage error today when I tried to level it. The chassis battery was a bit weak and since it was about 3 yrs old I put in a new one, a bit larger. No change except now the steps don't seem to work properly. They sometimes come out when the door is open but don't retract unless I turn the ignition on. I have good voltage at the leveler pump and sort of cleaned the shady ground (will redo that with emery cloth tomorrow). All the terminals on the pump look to be corroded so that will be tomorrow's job. Can anyone tell me where the main ground is for the coach batteries ( 2 new AGM 6 months ago and test fine) as I really suspect faulty ground, the most common 12V problem in the world. Any other suggestions welcomed.
Thanks
Groveite
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #2
RPR

Did you reset the leveler control?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
RPR

Should have said did you clear the fault code?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:11 AM   #4

Follow the ground cable from its battery post to its frame ground. On my 2005, the chassis/coach battery ground is right below the sliding tray, and the frame.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Should have said did you clear the fault code?
Yes I have done that a few times....It comes back when I try to level manually or auto.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

Mine has the batteries under the step. No sliding tray. I'm headed under later this morning.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #7

Well...the solenoid was pretty dirty and connections were corroded. 3 of 4 cleaned but one snapped off internally. Generic solenoid in, buried fuse replaced and now Jack's begin to descend then low voltage appears. Reset and retract and low voltage again. The step only comes out when the vehicle is running. Any links to a wiring diagram would be more than welcome.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
. The step only comes out when the vehicle is running. Any links to a wiring diagram would be more than welcome.

I'm not sure if we have the same stuff, mine has Lippert Kwikee electric steps. If you do, there's a wiring diagram for their controller on the 'net. I googled and found it when I was debugging my step problems. Holler if you need it and i"ll figure out a way to post it.

There's also a Youtube video from Lippert that was really helpful. Interestingly enough, I believe my Lippert steps are wired to retract when the engine is running.

If you're talking about the wiring diagram for the RV, folks have posted a pretty good PDF of the 2013+ Greyhawk wiring.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'm not sure if we have the same stuff, mine has Lippert Kwikee electric steps. If you do, there's a wiring diagram for their controller on the 'net. I googled and found it when I was debugging my step problems. Holler if you need it and i"ll figure out a way to post it.

There's also a Youtube video from Lippert that was really helpful. Interestingly enough, I believe my Lippert steps are wired to retract when the engine is running.

If you're talking about the wiring diagram for the RV, folks have posted a pretty good PDF of the 2013+ Greyhawk wiring.
If you could send me a link that would be great...I found some Lippert stuff but not that diagram. About to search the forum for that greyhawk diagram. Thank You
Old 05-12-2022, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
If you could send me a link that would be great...I found some Lippert stuff but not that diagram. About to search the forum for that greyhawk diagram. Thank You
Here is the Lippert doc I found.
Lippert Steps Troubleshooting ccd_0001628.pdf

Contact Jayco at motorizedservice@jayco.com (have your VIN number ready) for the most current version of your unit.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 31FS 12v.JPG  
Old 05-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #11

All is well again (until I mess it up later) and the generic solenoid works well. I am not happy with my mount for the solenoid, it works but is not as secure as I think it should be. I also have a temporary ground wire running from the frame of the solenoid to the ground pin on the pump. When the new "correct" solenoid comes in that will be remedied. Thanks to all for your help. It was invaluable! Even the step has decided to cooperate. For your information the step, front TV , Slide lockout and Power levelers all have a common point. Where that is I don't know and hope never to have to look but.....
Old 05-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #12

Oops

Quote:
All is well again (until I mess it up later) and the generic solenoid works well. I am not happy with my mount for the solenoid, it works but is not as secure as I think it should be. I also have a temporary ground wire running from the frame of the solenoid to the ground pin on the pump. When the new "correct" solenoid comes in that will be remedied. Thanks to all for your help. It was invaluable! Even the step has decided to cooperate. For your information the step, front TV , Slide lockout and Power levelers all have a common point. Where that is I don't know and hope never to have to look but.....
Spoke too soon... The levelers are doing fine and the steps work ALMOST perfectly except with the engine running they extend and will not retract! I've downloaded and printed the guide from Lippert and will begin further testing tomorrow weather permitting! Any short-cuts, suggestions greatly appreciated as I can't move it as it is. In studying the wiring diagram I see there is a fuse btwn the "live when ignition is on" and the 4 wire terminal. Has anyone come across the location for that fuse or the one in the Engine compartment?
Old 05-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #13

I have eliminated all the possible causes and that leaves the controller. I have a new one in hand but.....The day after I changed the oil and was just waiting for the controller I decided to move it a bit in the driveway...Lots of battery and cranking but no start so after testing every fuse that I could find and swapping relays out I gave up and had it towed to the local Ford dealer who fortunately can handle RV's . My suspicion is that it is fuel delivery as I couldn't smell any raw gas after cranking. Will report back when I finally find out. Kudos to Ford Roadside assistance who arranged for Preferred Towing (an outstanding business here in Sarnia, stars of "Heavy Rescue 401 TV series) to carefully pick it up yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #14

Simplified schematic of steps

I created this drawing with detailed parts, connections, and logic when troubleshooting my steps.

Just in case it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Step_Wiring_Detail .jpg  

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #15

Thanks so much for the diagram Don. I print it out so my talented son-in-law will be able to use it to troubleshoot if the controller fails to solve the problem! Of course timing depends on when the dealer can find the source of the no start.......
Old 05-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #16

Annotated 12V Chassis Schematic

This companion annotated schematic may also help when trouble shooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12V Chassis (annotated) .pdf (1.09 MB, 15 views)

Old 05-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
A great resource. Thanks so much.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post

Yeah - awesome diagram. Don, did you ever locate the fuses for the 12V power to the controller? Mine's acting all weird again - and I think it could be the 12V power to the switch that controls Step Override.

I'm psyching myself up to crawl under the &$%%# thing for the 33rd time...
Old 05-31-2022, 12:31 PM   #19

Step fuse location

My fuse is an auto resettable one (red) under the hood on the aux start relay.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210901_220841782.jpg  
Old 05-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #20

Auto override sw

That may not be the fuse you meant?