Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Leveler problem

I have a 06 35 gs. The leveler go up and down but quickly run out of power. First I checked the fluid and it is full. Then I thought it was because they were extended to far. Bought some blocking. When I first got it it would lift the front tires off the ground. Now it can't. Spoke with the dealer. I ask if the pump could be getting weak or seals going bad. I was told no but it's a extensive diagnostic test to find problems with levelers. Which to me sounds like I'm being preped for a huge repair bill. Any suggestions on what to look at or test.
F419sr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

I am no authority on levelers, but if you know the manufacturer, I would call them and ask for an opinion, or perhaps they have a troubleshooting tree. Also google it and see what comes up. The dealer would be my last resort. Do you see any leaking? Are the lines good? If the fluids good, and you see no leaks, I would think it would be the pump getting weak. Good luck and tell us what happens.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #3

They should be POWER GEAR which is now part of LIPPERT.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

I just found the manual. I did search levelers bu nothing matched my problem. According to the manual a orange light will come on if the angle is our of range. Mine were all green. It is a 06 so a weak pump wouldn't surprise me. Finished reading the manual and my problem is not covered in the trouble shooting chart
Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

I am not an expert on the subject what so ever, but is there a chance there's debris in the jacks? Or, do you get same results when using them while hooked up to shore power? I recently had problems with mine on an '08 Seneca 35GS and reluctantly took it to Camping World. I was told my problem was a fried circuit board; my repair bill was just under $800.00. It's only money! To me, the journey's are worth it! Good luck and hope the fix is something simple.
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

They do go up and down as they should. They just run out of power to lift it level. With no blocks they will exetend out and lift a couple inches. With blocks with very little extension it will still only lift a couple inches
Old 07-03-2017, 03:51 AM   #7

Leveler problem

Does the pump continue to run ? If it shutting off could be a pressure relief or sensor shutdown
Does it stay up once it is up? If no loss of height after it is shut off then most likely the seals in the pistons are okay. And would lead back to pump.
When was the fluid last replaced? Ten year old fluid could have water contamination. Is there a manual method? On mine you can can hook up a drill and manually lift. You could try that and see if that will lift it. If it does then perhaps a pump motor issue.
Good luck and let us know how you make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

Pump runs continuously and doesn't bleed down. As far as the fluid goes I don't know. I bought the unit last August. I can drain and replace to see if it helps. can't hurt. I'll look into how to test the pressure relief valve. Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

Might want to contact the manufacturer directly. Seems like something is slipping if the motor is running but the jacks don't move. Try the new fluid. It should be fairly cheap to do and it might clear out any water or air entrapment in the fluid. Also if you have a local heavy equipment shop in town they might have some ideas on the hydraulics and how to test the pressure of the fluid going to a jack.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
They do go up and down as they should. They just run out of power to lift it level. With no blocks they will exetend out and lift a couple inches. With blocks with very little extension it will still only lift a couple inches
"Running out of power" is an indicator of low fluid level or air in the system or a combination of both. It is possible that the pressure relief valve is opening too soon, start with the basics, changing out the pump can be big bucks.
My route would be to start with fluid level and air. If you are a "Do it yourself'er", fluid leaks are easy to detect, look for wet spots, slow leaks are usually covered in discolored dirt, check all lines and fittings.
Without knowing the exact make and model I can't comment on how to bleed the system. Some units without retract springs are simple, extending and retracting the jacks a couple of times will automatically bleed the lines, some with retract springs have bleed valves and the process is similar to bleeding the car brakes. We need to know the exact make and model of the leveling system.
Yes, if the unit is ten years old changing out the fluid would be advisable, the system will probably need to be bled after changing.
When you get a chance post the exact make and model.
On the brighter side, if the pump is running and the jacks extend and retract, then it sounds like the mother board is probably good.
Hope this helps.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

The jacks do move. Just don't have the lifting power they used to. I drained the fluid last night and it is spotless. I'm questioning the fluid it self. They call for atf fluid and the fluid I drained is clear. Looks more like hydraulic fluid. I'm going to call power gear tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #12

I called power gear and spoke with the technical department. They seem to think it's the pump. The pressure should be 2150 to 3000 psi. The fluid dosnt have to be atf. A light weight hydraulic fluid will work fine too. I'll update when I have more information

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
I called power gear and spoke with the technical department. They seem to think it's the pump. The pressure should be 2150 to 3000 psi. The fluid dosnt have to be atf. A light weight hydraulic fluid will work fine too. I'll update when I have more information

Gawd!!! Ihate it when i'm wrong
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #14

Hello. Our jayco is doing the same thing. Would you please let me know how you fixed yours. Thanks
jimjoannl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoannl View Post
Hello. Our jayco is doing the same thing. Would you please let me know how you fixed yours. Thanks
Haven’t yet. This year it’s parked in a seasonal spot at the track. I used a jack to help it among to level. It stays once it’s level. It’s the pump. Call them. They were very helpful
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoannl View Post
Haven’t yet. This year it’s parked in a seasonal spot at the track. I used a jack to help it along to level. It stays once it’s level. It’s the pump. Call them. They were very helpful