Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Leveling & Slideout Deployment --> Power ?

Hey Gang,

Question for those of you with slideouts and levelers. Some background on why I'm asking: In my soon to be traded Minnie Winnie the manual states rather clearly to keep the engine running when deploying my slides. Both slides are Schwintek. My Winnie does not have levelers, so for me it was a simple matter of driving up onto the blocks, putting it in park and setting the brake, and deploying the slides while the motor was still running.

Fast forward to now, and I have a Schwintek slide in the back, another non-Schwintek slide in the front, and Big Foot levelers.

Do I keep the motor running for all of them so the alternator can supply ample juice? Will the Big Foot levelers hollar at me for having the motor on? Or do I level w/ the motor off, then start it back up to deploy the slides? Or do I do it all off the battery?

I believe my Greyhawk has a single Group 27; which theoretically would be fully charged upon my arrival given the converter keeping it juiced while I was underway.

????
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

The simple answer is Yes. This ensures you will have ample juice. Why risk it, over time it will likely cause a problem. If you do it with the motor on all the time, you just reduce risk.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

Yes to which part?

If the BigFoots will let me deploy w/ the engine on while in Park and with the parking brake set, I'd just assume do it that way. Keep the engine running, drop the levelers, pop the slides, turn the engine off.

Is that what you meant?
Old 07-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

I have 31 FS w/ 2 slides. I park, stop engine, set parking brake. Set levelers. Then slide outs. Coach battery voltage stays above 12 w/ all this.
I reverse order when closing up. Bring in slides, then raise levelers.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

I have never tried to lower my Bigfoot levelers with the engine running. I do know if I turn the ignition key when they are lowered, the Bigfoot control unit beeps madly to prevent driving off with them down.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
WDW

We've never had the engine running for slides or levelers. Maybe we're doing it wrong - rereading the manuals would be less fun than sending Jayco a note to ask their opinion.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #7

Manual states that you first level Rig and have a full charged 12V battery and/or connected to shore power before extending the slide outs......

I would assume that if you're boon docking that you have engine running/generator to ensure enough power to extend/retract slide-outs.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #8

Boondocking or not, I turn off the engine and level. Then slide out. Never felt any reason to do it differently.

Never tried leveling with the engine running, though I would be interested in knowing if the bigfoots would deploy.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #9

On my 2015 31DS, when the engine starts the bigfoot levellers automatically retract if deployed. I have never tried to deploy them with the engine running. After driving a few hours and then stopping somewhere, I have always had lots of power from the battery to deploy the levellers and slides. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Bigfoot levelers are also installed on fifth wheels and it does not seem to be an issue as long as you have good batteries.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #11

I wasn't considering the levelers so much as they are deployed first. I was considering the battery after the levelers were down, b/c Winnie was pretty adamanet that the Schwintek slides needed the engine running to perform optimally.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #12

Two threads... One topic

Interesting timing, this topic came up on another thread so I went hunting for the 2015 manual. It is quoted below and I note two important items. First that you must be level, so your Bigfoot system definetly gets priority. Second there is no mention of having the engine running, although where possible you should have shore power.

1. The auxiliary battery (customer supplied) must be fully charged and connected. If possible, the RV should be hooked up to 120-volt AC power so the converter operates.
2. The RV must be level and the stabilizer jacks in the extended position.
3. Locate the slideout room control switch. The main slideout switch is located in the command center. The bedroom slideout switch may be located in the command center or on a bedroom interior wall depending on the model.

Makes me feel better that I was almost doing it right... By fluke 😃. Normally I levelled before plugging in, will have to fix that part of my arrival procedure. But I was hooking up to shore power before deploying slides, largely because I did not want to have to crouch under the slide to access the 120v cabinet.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

Exactly what I needed. Thanks !
Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #14

I hardly ever boondocks. But I do connect shore power before deploying the big foots or the slide.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote